Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Removing a flowmaster?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
dannybten23 is on a distinguished road
dannybten23's Tacoma Gallery
Removing a flowmaster?

I bought a 4 banger with flowmaster dual exhaust and intake. I hate how loud my truck is, it wakes up my roommates and neighbors every morning. I got a quote for $230 to replace it with a stock exhaust. What kind of perfromance loss will i get? is that a good price? Should I be able to sell the flomaster for some price?
Any information would be appreciated!
Dan
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
chickdr is on a distinguished road
chickdr's Tacoma Gallery
Just looked at a thread showing performance differences for the exhausts. It appears a Flowmaster will net around 6hp over stock so I doubt you would notice any loss from removing it. You may want to keep the intake as I doubt it makes much extra noise. Here is the info: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ml#post9080759
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybten23 View Post
I bought a 4 banger with flowmaster dual exhaust and intake. I hate how loud my truck is, it wakes up my roommates and neighbors every morning. I got a quote for $230 to replace it with a stock exhaust. What kind of perfromance loss will i get? is that a good price? Should I be able to sell the flomaster for some price?
Any information would be appreciated!
Dan
You'll get more low end pull if you go back to a single exhaust. Duals are way too open of an exhaust system for a 2.7. When you lose exhaust gas velocity, you lose the scavenging effect and along with it, bye bye torque.

The stock muffler is very well matched to the engine. And I think that $230 is an ok price to get a full stock system, unless you wanted to shop around to see if you could find another Tacoma owner who took theirs off.

Have the muffler guy take the duals off cleanly so that you'll be able to resell them. it's not hard to find guys who want a loud truck.

Greg