1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you load your sport bike into your Truck bed?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Aw9d, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    RNYC

RNYC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brooklyn
    Bumping this thread a bit:

For track days, contemplating a truck. Can I haul a bike with the short bed? I know long bed is recommended, but it's difficult to park where I live.

I've searched, and seen many pics of bikes in short beds, but no real results are posted, e.g., long term use, etc.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lame first post.

*(Yes, I searched... I'm looking for real experience as told from real people, not what I can piece together. Thanks!)*

2. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Here you go. Chances are that Katana is longer and heavier than a track day bike also. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I have not had any issues hauling my bike this way in the last 4 years although I haven't had to transport the bike much in the last year...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/motorcycles/120955-loading-motorcycle-dcsb-pics.html

3. Jan 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    RNYC

RNYC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brooklyn
    Plugga,

Thank you!

That was actually one of the threads I looked at. Nicely done.

No issues with the tailgate, either the gate itself or the cables? I see some people are reinforcing their gates; I'd prefer not to have to do so. Roads are pretty bumpy around these parts.

4. Jan 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have not had any issues with that tailgate or the cables. I'm not sure if the tailgates got better for certain years or not. The cables absolutely should not break or pull, some have had an issue with bending the tailgate itself. If this is a concern, a piece of plywood the length of the bed and tailgate would stiffen it up quite a bit. Just make sure you secure it into the bed otherwise, when you hit the front brake when unloading, the whole piece can slide out of the truck with the bike (ask me how I learned that lesson) :eek:

FWIW, that Katana has a dry weight of 465 lbs and the wheel base is 58 inches. A bone stock litter bike won't even weigh that much wet and will have a slightly shorter wheel base.

5. Feb 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    You said it's always better to run your bike straight into the bed, rather than diagonally with the tail gate shut. I was curious why that is? I usually run mine straight because the tonneau cover I have has rails that extend past the bed rails, and I wouldn't want to wedge anything against them, but I did haul a dirtbike a few days after I bought my truck and didn't have the cover. I put it in diagonally and thought it worked pretty well, plus no worries about bending the rail at the front of the bed.

How do you like that ramp/bed extender? I've seen those around a little and thought about grabbing one, but haven't gone for it yet.

6. Feb 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    A dirtbike is a little different - it weighs half as much as a street-bike, but the reason to keep a bike upright is that it puts even tension on the tie-down straps - so that if one comes loose or slips, the bike is more likely to stay upright long enough for you to notice.

When a bike is at an angle and something starts to slip, even during the unloading process, the bike tends to get slammed down onto its side. I've seen this happen a couple of times actually.

And I have the ready-ramp and think its brilliant. It's the only way to go. The ramp is a bit longer so its easier to load, because it folds up it is easier to store and the way it attaches to the back of the truck it's easier to secure during transport. I highly recommend them.

dp

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    A big mound of dirt and a running start.

8. Feb 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
  9. Feb 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Ooh, so maybe I misinterpretted your comment. When you said not to load them at an angle, you meant vertically? I was thinking horizontally, as in whether or not the bike runs parallel to the sides of the bed. I see how it could apply if it's just going from corner to corner too though. When I strapped that dirtbike in there the straps obviously weren't symmetric, but I try to make up for it by using a million tie downs haha. I get paranoid about that stuff.

Glad to hear you like the ramp. One other question, any chance it fits across the back seat when it's folded? It's obviously the width of the bed, so it would be a tight fit, but one of the reasons I like my folding ramp is because it easily fits in the back of my access cab. In most situations it wouldn't be a big deal, just toss it in the bed, or even lock it with a cable lock, but I work in a somewhat questionable neighborhood(not to mention 2 blocks from a home depot with unlimited bolt and cable cutters haha), and on those occasions when I leave straight from work to go pick something up, I don't care to leave anything in my bed. Being able to stuff the ready ramp in my cab would be a huge selling point.

10. Feb 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    No, you want them in the bed of the truck straight as well. That way their is equal tension on equal length straps. It creates a balanced load, and if you have to get on the brakes hard, the bike is stable.

[​IMG]
    This is right. Only requires two tie-downs. It's simple, it's proven. It works.

There is no advantage to putting the bike in corner to corner - its just a whole lot more likely to fall over becuase the loads are all wrong. Like I said, you can get away with this with a dirt bike because they don't weigh anything, but a street-bike you want centered and straight. Imagine the tension and stress on that Tiger 1050 if you have to get on the brakes really hard. I've seen a lot of bike topple from this position.

[​IMG]
    This is wrong. Requires at least four or more tie-downs. The bike is never stable, it sways and tips constantly. This is how a noobe would tie down his bike.

And honestly, I have no idea of my ramp fits in my back seat, and I'm not really inclined to try it - The ramp is dirty and manky and I like the interior of my truck nice and clean. :) I'd probably just go buy a thick kyrptonite cable lock.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=999829

dp

11. Feb 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Access Cab
    I have put the ready ramp behind the seats of my extra cab many times.
    and yes, load bike straight and tighten down evenly NOT caddy corner or on kickstand
    better yet, I'm putting the pitbull restraints in the new tacoma

12. Mar 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    DigB

DigB Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Air Freshener mod
    Just a question, do you guys notice a decrease in mpg's when carrying a bike in the back? I'm bringing my brothers KLR650 down with us when we drive the White Rim and I need to know if I need to budget more for gas? Thanks for the informative video's!

13. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    treadway47025

treadway47025 Well-Known Member

Member:
    INDIANA
    Vehicle:
    2011 access cab 4cyl 5spd 4x4
    Fog lights, LCE Header
    How bad was it to install the bed buddy? Have any more pics of it in your truck?

14. Mar 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    It took about 30 minutes. Super simple. What photo would you like?

dp

15. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    treadway47025

treadway47025 Well-Known Member

Member:
    INDIANA
    Vehicle:
    2011 access cab 4cyl 5spd 4x4
    Fog lights, LCE Header
    some showing what it looks like in the bed with no bike.

16. Dec 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake

Products Discussed in

To Top