4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

1996 snow runner

Old 11-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
warrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: tank mechanic bravo co. 3/116th
Name: shawn
warrpath4x4's Tacoma Gallery
1996 snow runner

i picked this up in april and am just going to speed through till i get this up to date. its not a hardcore wheeler (right now), more of an expo rig.

my son looked at the 4runner points and says snow, so now we have the "snow runner"

1996 4runner, 3.4L, auto, SR5, E-locker, 2-3" lift, brand new 285/75R16 tires, and brand new pearl white paint job.

cabelas parking lot an hour later and was already buying stuff for it lol, picked up some seatcovers and steering wheel cover out of the bargain cave.

that weekend i spent about $700 ordering stuff for it
synthetic winch rope
hawse fairlead (which i had to return and order a new one)
four 15W LED lights
aisin timing belt kit with water pump and timing belt tensioner (off rock auto for over $100 cheaper than the local parts stores)
timing belt tensioner tool
trans cooler with built in fan
power inverter

and i picked up a couple new tools for building stuff
tubing notcher
dimple die
Old 11-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
warrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
my try at plasti-dip, which worked fine but the pressure washer at work is even better lol.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
took it up on white mountain which is like a 2 minute drive from the shop to the base of it.

little muddy, not bad, BUT this is when i learned that plasti-dip is no match for our pressure washer
Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
needed some storage and wanted to try a pull out drawer system, didnt know if i would like it and not wanting to spend the coin on the metal, here is my wood drawer.

the black box on top came out of my XJ, it had an air compressor and built in tank in there, worked good for $7, lasted about 3 years. its gone now but ill get to that later

the 15W LED lights i had on there when i had a front bumper
Old 11-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
this was mothers day, we went to the flaming gorge

stopped at the reservior for lunch

Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
picked up a blue sea fuse panel, built a mount for it

i was going to use my WARN 8274 but its big, bulky, weighs a ton, and blocks the radiator. found a good deal on this one though. the winch mount is not my bumper, all though i havnt finished the bumper lol

got to use my dimple die

Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
took a trip through south pass, louie lake, sinks canyon, lander, and back home, got 18MPG.

it was warm up there so the next weekend i built mounts for my awning i had on the suburban

Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
we then took a trip up by sheep creek and those lakes around there in Utah

enjoying the awning shade

i had always had problems with the e-locker after i tried the "grey wire mod" so i got some help from this guy

no more problems

so here is where my compressor died and here is its replacement

got the bottle here locally at airgas, the 150psi fixed regulator and bracket from wheelers offroad, i already had the hose and air chucks.

alot more room
Old 11-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
and as you can see in the last pic i also redid my brakes, get rid of the warped rotor i had.

i have mentioned the pressure washer at work, well its a heated industrial washer that will burn your skin, it will also show you that the previous owner did a craptasticly cheap paint job. so to fic my paint the washer just took off, i used undercoating on the body, i have used it before and have had no issues with it.

picked up some HID offroad lights from ebay for $45 each

Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
version 1.0 rear swing out bumper

also shots testing for rubbing

old ground clearance

new ground clearance

made a new nutstrip for the mounting, i know it looks all crooked but thats how the holes lined up

version 2.0 will be finishing up the sides, and building a basket for the driver side. i wont be able to use the tire cover anymore, im getting a full size spare mounted up right now.

and we are here at today, ordered a plug and play HID headlight kit and changed the spark plugs out.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
so we started with this friday afternoon

add a little bit of this

let it sit over night and bam we have this

ok so it wasnt that easy lol
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
awesome build thread and great looking runner!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
worked on he rear bumper a little, got the frame mounts braced and a better latch system worked out, also got some better backup lights.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
my camera phone really doesnt give these pics justice

with headlights and my amber HID's

just the amber HID's

Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
i havnt worked on the 4runner in months, did little organization work today. used an idea i had in my cherokee and adapted it into here. i ran out of rubber hose to wrap around the edges, but i can easily get another foot and install it in the missing spot without taking anything out.

closer view on how the axe is mounted.

heres a reference of what i had in the cherokee (before i loaded stuff on it)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #16
roof top tent wil be showing up at the end of the month, so i built the beginnign of my roof rack and mounted my LED bar on it. once i get the tent on there and see what kind of room i have left to deal with i will add some expanded metal in the front, some sides, and protection over the light bar.

not the best camera but here is my HID headlights

and here is the LED bar, with the LED's on i can barely tell when i turn my headlights on.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of axe is that? i've been looking for one about that size
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
what kind of axe is that? i've been looking for one about that size
http://www.estwing.com/

home depot and ace hardware have them in my town
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
Meth Saved Me
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samuel
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet 4runner!