4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

Ruby Thunder-the 89 red 4runner v6

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Ruby Thunder-the 89 red 4runner v6

the day i got her

came with 33x12.50r15

some body shots to showcase her.

love the v6

only damage i can find on her is the center console

this will be a slow build. no money right now.

some specs
v6 with valve issues
4x4
straight body
nice rims and tires
clarion cd player and amp with kicker comp 10"
3in body lift- will stay on for now

i have the vehicle history all the way back to jan 2006. 20+k miles ago. the issues with the compression were traced back to 4 months ago when the owner tried to get emissions done on it. it blew 885 ppm when 186 is legal.
it has a low compression in cyl 2 right now. hoping just valves or rings but may need new heads... we will see.

no money til next month which is when i am supposed to leave for Saudi Arabia, so this may be dead for some time. but slow by slow it will be a wheeler.

everyone meet Ruby Thunder the name given to her by my wife.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rig!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Nice find! - as memory serves the 3.0L V6's had some issues with head gaskets & such...
Good luck with it though!
I believe the 3.4's had some problems too due to graphite head gaskets and the water jacket. I've rebuilt my 3.0 a few times due to a head gasket issue.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Nice my buddy had one of these in High School and we wheeled it all the time and it did great he had over 400K on it before he sold it.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
"So to speak"
PISSER will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Air Traffic Controller
Name: Matt
PISSER's Tacoma Gallery
This is MURPHYZ under MATTS profile

rob i will need your help alot here and there. next wrench meet i go to will be the overhaul time. need to clean injectors along with do new hoses like you.

alien i know. that is why i needed it. my first rig was an 86 and i loved it.

funny you should say that because the gasket or the valves in cyl2 are stuck so i will be rebuilding it soon. got the haynes manuel.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
yotarob2005's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienXtx View Post
I thought Matt had finally came outta the woodworks to visit!!lol
I heard he was too scared to post

Murphy, hit me up any time man. I am no expert but I will help you get thru it however I can. I'm gonna repost these links for you since they will probably get lost in the BS thread & they where the best sources for info I have found.

http://yotatech.com/ for info

http://www.engnbldr.com/ for parts
Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks rob those are a help. Can I buy machine services from you? Sheet metal and the such? I don't have any tools for those jobs.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyZ View Post
Thanks rob those are a help. Can I buy machine services from you? Sheet metal and the such? I don't have any tools for those jobs.
I really don't have the right tools either. We are strickly a machine shop, Lathe's & Mill's, no real fab work goes on here. I wish we had a shear & metal brake
Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #11

MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
me too. sheet metal cheap-cutting it-not so cheap.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
"So to speak"

PISSER's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, to set the record straight... I've just seen what happens to some people that post dumb stuff. They get ripped apart! lol
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
"So to speak"

PISSER's Tacoma Gallery
When's the next meet btw! I had a blast on the last one. Tacos and beer!! Does it get any better?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #14

MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
tacos women and beer...
Old 04-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Man Murphy, You got that for dirt cheap...I can't wait to see it in action.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #16

MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
took her out for a drive to try and pin point the problem. while driving it i noticed it was missing, so i took the opportunity to go to oriellys and buy plugs,wires, and a compression tester.

my question is do i need to take all the plugs off and then test each cylinder by turning the engine over, or can i take one at a time?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck sure brings back some great memories! I bought 4X4 4Runner brand new back in 1988...best vehicle I ever owned! I had the removable top and V6. That truck went around 350,000 miles and never had an issue other than some trouble with the elec windows. Never had a clutch problem or issues with the 4WD in all those miles. When I sold it is was running like the day I bought it.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #19

MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
nice^^^ my first rig was an 86 with the 22re. loved it 330k and ran like a squirrel.
the plugs went in and the wires are on and still has a miss its a valve i know it.

rob ill drive it down if you want to fix it. man i wish i didnt have a job so i could just work on it all day long. hard as hell to get the motivation to tear into a project that you know will take 12+ hours of labor to do, when you only have 45min to a hour after work before you crap out in bed.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyZ View Post
rob ill drive it down if you want to fix it. man i wish i didnt have a job so i could just work on it all day long. hard as hell to get the motivation to tear into a project that you know will take 12+ hours of labor to do, when you only have 45min to a hour after work before you crap out in bed.
I would be willing to consider fixing it. It would have to be a loose turn around time. 12+ hours is pretty unrealistic IMO, I think it would take a week or 2 depending on what we decide need to be replaced as we go & parts avaliability.

I know exactlly what you mean by wanting to just throw all of your time into it, but it is a hobby & you still have your normal responsiblities too.