I can't figure out this misfire.

Discussion in '4Runners' started by josh700, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    josh700

josh700 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well here is where I am at with my problem. '99 4runner with 3.4L and it started an occasional misfire on Cyl #3. I say occasional, and I mean every 2 or 3 days, and the misfire only happens for a few minutes and then goes away.
    New plugs, no fix. Swapped coil packs 3 and 1 to isolate the problem. Still misfires on 3. So this points me towards the injector. When I ohm tested it today, I touched the probes to the terminals and got a reading of 37 and then it worked its way down to 15.7 and then settled there. I think the 15 is normal, but should be be starting up so high? I've never tested an injector before so maybe that was a foolish question, but I just don't know. Can an injector be bad, even if it ohms properly?
    I've been chasing this demon for weeks now and I have two more weeks to figure it out before I am supposed to take the 4runner on a fairly lengthy drive. Can anyone shed any light on this for me, or should I just bite the bullet and take it to a shop and bend over when the bill comes?

2. Aug 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    josh700

josh700 [OP] Member

Member:
    Replaced injector, problem solved

3. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    907doublebass

907doublebass Just a practical Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, Base, Regular Cab
    12" MA audio subwoofer, JL audio amplifier, DICE IPod adapter, 2.5" AAL's + 1" Rough Country Block, Rancho Quicklift Loaded Struts, Undercover Swing Cases, K2 Motors LED taillights, Total Chaos UCA's, Toytec Front Differential Drop Kit and a Rhino-Lined ARE Canopy Cover.
    Had that same problem with my 99 limited, cylinder 1 misfire. Injector was replaced and gas tank was seafoamed, still threw the misfire code. Finally my wife noticed the rubber fuel hose leading to the steel fuel line on the injector was cracked, rotted, and leaking fuel. 2 bucks for a new 12" piece of 1/4 inch hose from NAPA later, problem solved. Bottomline...check all the hoses for cracks and whatnot, any air or off- pressure causes that engine to throw a fit like my 2 year old. Glad to hear you fixed it. Regards,

Products Discussed in

To Top