1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED ADVISE-3rd or 4th GEN BETTER?

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Mad Man Marty, May 15, 2013.

1. Aug 8, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    Really? I prefer them to the 09 Taco.. oh well. as for the 3 vs 4 discussion.. they are apples and oranges, one is obviously more expensive than the other by like double. If you are going to wheel it and beat it up.... 3rd gen IMO, if you are going to Daily Drive it and wheel occasionally, then 4th gen.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. Aug 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    Maintenance similar to my '07 taco is a big plus.
    I realize the initial investment would be more for a newer (4th gen) runner, but thats ok. The ultimate goal is to have the best runner as a DD & for camping and off-road occasionally. I do drive up a dirt mountain road 1/2 mile off the main road everyday just to get home.
    What years/things should i look for when looking for a 4th gen?
    Thanks.

3. Aug 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    Get the 4th gen. Its newer and a very comfortable ride.

Look for front brake caliper seizing. 4tr org website will have a bunch of info if you search it. I also think the V8 engines were slightly improved from '05 onwards. I've had my 4th gen for a while and I have no issues. Other than to replace some worn out sway bar bushings which I've been too lazy to do.

The V6 only gets marginally better economy than the V8 (1-2MPG). The V8 is a lot more quiet and in cruise control does not cycle thru the gears like the V6 does. V8 is a more comfortable ride all round. I was going to get the V6 but decided to live with the very small mileage decrease for the better ride. I think the V6 has true 2WD and 4WD where the V8 is full time 4wd. They call it full time 4wd as it still does have a transfer case incase you need low range and it does have the center diff lock to lock on both drive shafts. Being in Canada and doing lots of winter hwy driving I preferred the full time 4WD option.

4. Aug 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    MojaveMadman

MojaveMadman Cali Raised LED

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    Man I am late responding... haha. So I had the 3.4 in an 02 Tacoma that was a stick. It wasn't gutless, but it wasn't a rocket. My 4.0 in my 05 4runner is an automatic and is much faster. But I did love my stick 3.4, it was fun to drive for sure, and there was never a situation where I didn't have enough power...

If it's for your wife to drive, go 4th gen. It has the creacher comforts, it's a little bigger, and there is a good sftermarket following for them. Plus if you have an 08 Tacoma, you can buy oil filters in bulk!!! haha I bough a case of WIX filters for like $40 when I had my 07 Tacoma at the same time.

But ya, 05 or newer so you can get the 5 speed. If you go V8 I know there was a year where they updated to the better verson of the V8 which was higher HP. So look into that too if you are going V8. Other than that, just get the trim level you like the best. Our 05 is a sport, but has leather which is nice, and from what I understand was one of the only sport models that came with leather.

5. Aug 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4th gen it is.
    One thing about the v8 though, is the full time 4wd. I want the 4wd to be part tie to save on fuel. Its only going to go up.
    I want it to be part time only, so i guess im down to the v6.
    Unless anyone knows of a v8 conversion to part time 4wd?
    Does everyone else agree with '05 or later as the best years to stick with?

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    If you can get the 05 and newer do it for sure. Had a few upgrades which a bit of internet googling will enlighten you on. Also on tr4.org there is a bunch of the full time 4wd vs 2wd/4wd discussion/argument threads. I suggest burning an afternoon reading thru them. I did when I was in the same position as you and it really helped my decision. Initially I didnt like the sound of full time 4wd until I researched it and found it was the better way to go.

The V8 was likely designed for people wanting to tow. Therefore the fulltime 4wd is a lot better option for traction. Also when you boot the V8 off the lights you will not spin the wheels. It sticks to the road like shit to a blanket. The V8 is more of a luxury ride thats why im guessing they went this route.

You cannot convert to a split system cheaply. Think of full time 4wd as just AWD for everyday purposes. Naturally AWD drinks a little more fuel than 2wd. However this is an SUV, it will drink gas. Any 4th gen will. This is why I went for the V8 not the V6 as my reasoning was if I wanted to save on gas I will drive the Mrs. Chevy Cobalt.

I got better mileage with my 3.4L 96 Tacoma. The V8 I get about 19MPG with 31s on. V6 Runner you may get 20-21. Is it really worth sacrificing 1-2MPG to not get the V8? I think not. If you work it out thats not even a cup of coffee/week to enjoy the smoother, quieter ride of the V8. There are 100s of pages of threads auguring this debate, but that's what I based my decision off.

7. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    asimdada

asimdada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    future TRD
    I may be of some help here.
    I just ended up buying an 06 T4R a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it. Ive owner an 04 (ext cab) tacoma with 5-speed and TRD before (less than 50k miles) and really enjoyed that truck in Colorado. However, compared to THAT, the T4R is wayy much more to my liking, including comfort, performance and a closed shell at the back.

During my research for the T4R, I spent quite a few afternoon's going through different models/trims. I didn't even consider 3rd gen because of the smaller engine (not that its a slouch).
    The T4R's from 05 onwards have an improved engine with VVTI and 5-speed standard AUTO in all trims. I test drove the V6 and V8, and founf the drive of the V8 to be much more comfortable, especially at highway speed. That thing has tons of torque and you will never feel at any stage that you may want any more power. Gas mileage difference is hardly 1-2 mpg (city/hwy) between the V6 and V8. I personally don't do any off-roading or towing any sort and have bought this truck as a DD. 4th Gen's are no doubt more expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion. Also, the design, headlights/taillights were also refreshed from 05 onwards in 4th gen.

A few tips to look for:

1) some of the 4th Gen come with optional 3rd row seats which is great for me. It can be removed completely for more space though. They usually flip on the sides for use of cargo space.

2) I got the leather seats, which are pretty comfortable but I would have liked cloth (just personal preference).

3) Very imp, and the best tip.............go to this link before buying the vehicle, to make sure it has had major services by the dealer (besides Carfax ofcourse). I was pointed to this link by another person and I've been very grateful. Also, if you want, I can run a carfax for you for free, as I still have a couple left from when I bought it for my purchase.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pa...seDate%253D19-Feb-13%2526dealerFound%253Dtrue

4) Mine is an SR5 (not sport or limited) but it is very well equipped. Personally, I don't see any point in spending more for an already well-equipped vehicle.

For to mention, I got an 06 SR5 V8 with around 50k miles. Its been a 1-owner vehicle with all service record. I found an excellent deal on it as well :)

8. Aug 22, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Mad Man Marty

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Some great info. Thx everyone.
    Asimadada, thx for the offer for the carfax.
    Now everyone has me thinking v6 vs v8.
    Ill have to check out the threads about converting from AWD.
    I live in PA, & do not think i need AWD. Its a waste of gas, tires & the front end.

9. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    My wife's 3rd generation 3.4L 4X4 98 4Runner dumped it's tranny last March and we traded it in for 4th generation 4.0L 4x4 08 4Runner. Go with the 4th generation, more power & better handling. She is getting on average 18.3MPG. That's very good for here in hilly WV. The 4th gereration is lower to the ground than the 3rd generation. I have to jack one side up to be able to change the oil.

10. Sep 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Deff get the V8 Mad Man Marty! I'm looking to trade my taco in and will go with the V8 limited as I hate cloth seats and my sister had one and was super comfortable. I know as soon as I do I'll need my truck back to haul something but oh we'll. Exhaust sounds better on a v8....Full Icon's all around (including hydro bumps in the rear springs) and 33" or 35" all terrains will be my route. Built for grocery getting, high speed whoops or the occasional crawling through a rock garden then camp out of the back!

Good luck man and keep us posted!

Products Discussed in

To Top