1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Extender, Custom. Check out my Nice Rack!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MobileMike, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    MobileMike

MobileMike [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    Check out my voluptuous rack!

I bought my Tacoma with the intent of carrying sheet goods (plywood, drywall, other 4'x8' items) or camping gear on trips. I also wanted the tighter turning radius of the short-bed version. So a bed extender made a lot of sense for occasionally carrying items longer than five feet.

Problem is that most commercial bed extenders are as tall as the tailgate. I didn't want plywood to sit up as high as the tailgate in the back; instead, I wanted the height of the bed extender to match the height of the interior wheel wells. That way sheet goods would ride flat, hanging out about a foot, but supported by the bed extender.

I also saw on Tacoma World "Bok's" awesome post Double Cab Short Box Bed storage showing how well Rubbermaid Action-Packer Plastic Bins fit in the back of a short-bed. See post here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ble-cab-short-box-bed-storage.html#post105637 That got me to thinking about using the bed extender in conjunction with the Action Packers.

It turns out that the given dimensions fall in place pretty well to use the flipped-in (stored position) of the bed extender to hold the Action Packer 24 Gallon Bins in the back of the bed against the tailgate. And when you open it up, you can put two more totes out on the tailgate.

The rack is made from 80/20 brand extruded aluminum, 1 inch square with three sides slotted (cross-section 1002). It is bolted together with SS cap head screws locked in place with Henkel Loctite 243 Threadlocker. All of the aluminum is pre-treated with Henkel 5007 Tectalis Wipes for corrosion resistance and painted with a clear acrylic. One continuous piece of plastic-coated stainless steel wire passes back and forth through the uprights to make the squares a little smaller. At the ends of the wires, there are stainless snap-swivels to keep the extender in place.

It isn't obvious, but there are also two 5/16” SS bolts that stick out of the top inside. When the bed extender is flipped into the open position, these bolts catch in the gap between the tailgate and the bed. Thus, when the extender is open, the cables are NOT what is holding the frame in place. The bolts provide a strong positive lock against loads trying to fall out the back; the swivels are attached, but only as a back-up.

There is also a little piece of aluminum that sticks out of the center to keep the Action Packer totes from sliding side-to-side. No matter how bad my driving, they never move.

I've been using the system for about six months now and I have to say it fits and works fairly well. My only complaint? It was relatively expensive. Commercial bed extenders generally run in the $160 to $190 range. The extruded aluminum alone for my voluptuous rack cost me $215. And although you could argue that my time is cheap, I probably spent a solid day cutting, threading, bonding and painting my rig. You are welcome to copy the design and build one for your truck, but it won't be cheaper than Ebay.

I'll post some pictures and the drawings for reference. Thanks much to all the other contributors who have provided so many good ideas on Tacoma World!

Extended with Six Plastic Bins.jpg
    Stowed inside with one plastic tote.jpg
    bed extender carrying plywood.jpg
    nice rack detail.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    More pictures of details of the custom bed extender

side detail of rack.jpg
    hook pegs that catch on the tailgate for support.jpg
    detail of rack in the stowed position.jpg
    notice the support boards inside the bed to hold up the front of the plywood.jpg
    plywood and long boards being carried on lumber rack bed extender.jpg

3. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    A few more images to show how it fits in all normal use positions. I never take it out unless I'm going to get a load of mulch....

rack holding goods to the tail.jpg
    bed extender stowed in with large totes.jpg
    rack buried inside bed with totes.jpg

4. Jan 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    Here is a very simple drawing of the cuts required to size the extruded aluminum frame used on the custom bed extender rack. It might not seem like a lot of information, but the truth is that all you really need is a pencil and a hack saw to get it right.

One other note I'll make on the function of the rack; this rack does not flip over. I DO have to disconnect the snap swivels to change the position. It only takes a second, but there isn't enough length to allow the corners to clear as it rotates.

Also, when the tailgate is shut, the swivels are pulled tight against the ends. The rack can't move back and forth in normal traffic motion; it is held tightly to the corners. I also added some rubber feet to keep it quiet...

Dimensions of Custom Rack.jpg

5. Jan 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    Norville

Norville Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Nice, I like 80/20 stuff. I was going to make a step stool for my rv for the outside, and seriously, it was going to cost me over 200 buck with all the special fittings. Great job.

6. Jan 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    looks good

7. Jan 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Awesome Mike - weren't you going to try to sell these?

8. Jan 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    Too expensive to sell; the raw materials alone are more than any commercial bed extender.

For reference, here's a link to one of the many commercial offerings:
    http://www.realtruck.com/amp-research-bed-x-tender-hd-max/

I paid $215 for the aluminum alone. Maybe I could be cheaper than the Toyota OE extender, but only those six very expensive letters on the front could allow me to be competitive after you add up the build time.

The other issue with selling them is the liability of having honey boo-boo riding in the back as the old man flys down a washboard road in north Georgia. I worry enough about plywood becoming airborne on the highway; I don't want to get a call from Animal Planet saying that they got the whole accident on film, starting at the point where the wire snapped and the honey mother's butt dragged the rest of her family out the back...

9. Jan 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    jschatte

jschatte Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC 6spd
    This is a great idea! I am going to attempt creating something similar, perhaps in steel instead. i have hauled plywood and drywall in my box before and it was pretty sketchy. Plus when its folded it it looks like it would hold some firewood nicely. Look good!

EDIT: Would you be able to send me the ACAD file to save me some measuring? :)

10. Jan 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    To JSCHATTE and anyone else who might have a simple version of AutoCad to view the file with, here's the rough inside dimensions for a short bed and bed extender. Good luck and please ask if you think I might offer some other help.

Attached Files:

11. Feb 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    jschatte

jschatte Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC 6spd
    Thanks mike!

12. Apr 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
  13. Apr 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    Hey buddy....nice rack!

14. Apr 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    For your purpose that rack works better than stock. The OEM rack has rubber snubbers sticking up, therefore there is no flat surface to lay the sheetrock on.

Did you make provision like the OEM that holds it down by connecting into the tailgate latch? That keeps it and the tailgate from bouncing up when the road gets rough.

15. Apr 5, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    The only thing that attaches it to the truck is the cable snaps on the side walls of the bed. I've been using it for quite a while now and it doesn't seem to bounce too much; however, I don't really go off-roading either...

On one trip home from Vermont I forgot to clip the cables. Just the steel bolts were keeping it from sliding out the back. I drove 2 hours down the interstate and didn't realize it until I got home to unpack. No problem, no worries...

16. Jul 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    rhiggens

rhiggens New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off Road
    I like your design height that doubles as a second layer for hauling. I use one of those extenders that fits in the hitch receiver but it's just something else to store when not in use. Nice job...

17. Dec 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    MobileMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
  18. Dec 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
  19. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    Hit n Run

Hit n Run Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    14 Black DCLB Sport
    Nice rack indeed!

20. Nov 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    xrdskar1

xrdskar1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KEV
    SAN JOSE
    Vehicle:
    2019 taco dBm cab quicksand trd offroad
    TRD Pro skid plate bedrug carpet for the bed custom leather seats and custom install a Tuffy box as the whole no longer exist in the 2019 Tacomas had my stereo guy custom cut the hole
    If you can build one for my new 2019 Toyota Tacoma double cab with a 5-foot bed willing to pay $400 +

Products Discussed in

To Top