1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL Mod x3

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DR007, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    DR007

DR007 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    So I know there are a couple of the DTRL mods floating around but I've never seen it done this way. I did not have DTRL on my 06 so I decided to follow PiercedTiger's instructions on how to do them with the Parking Lights. I didn't however like that I always have my tail lights on and wanted a more stock look. I thought about it for a couple seconds and this is what I came up with and it works.

What you will need:
    Wire
    Wire strippers
    Switch (optional)

Its very simple connect wire here, here, and here.

I started on the left side and added the first end of my wire to the left headlight plug in the empty hole. (remove the plastic blank holder and push wire through to keep water tight.) [​IMG]

Then I crossed the wire over to the right side plug and repeated the first step but I also put another wire with it.
    [​IMG]

That loose wire now goes inside the cab to the fuse box. (this is where you can add your switch) Now to pick a fuse the is on when the truck is running only.. I did the work and it is the one circled. (might have others but this one works)
    [​IMG]

That is it. Everything should work normal i.e. blinkers and hazards
    Any questions ask.

2. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    That's wanting DTRL's pretty bad. The only suggestion I would make is to use a "Add a Circuit" instead of just putting wire by the fuse.

3. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    Some want to get rid of them but I like them. And yea I just haven't made a trip to Autozone yet. Its out the way currently.

4. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Yeah... I'm like you and like them but luckily mine came with them.

I like them because of the BHLM makes it look cool as shit!

[​IMG]

5. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    Thats what I'm preparing for!

6. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Yeah... My next step is "retros" to totally black them out then I'll be set.

7. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    You have a sweet rig. The retros will seal the deal on it. It's just money money money

8. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Thanks!

And yeah.... money money money :( I hate TacomaWorld.com

9. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    Its a love hate relationship.

This mod however is free if you have 10 foot of wire laying around. :D

10. Jul 3, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    I sure like that black grille.

What is your opinion of this grille (painted black)? It should be here any day!!!!

Grille_zpsc4000344_dccc1b788242f0dd7ea76309074fb74c9df7c79d.jpg

On this truck
    IMG_20130316_162302_513_zps4132c6de_8125726067fc6b7cc22831b9346f604d7e29b1e4.jpg

11. Jul 3, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

I think it looks good. I thought about buying that same grill off Amazon when I got the rock chip in my chrome surround last year. But I just decided to fill the spot where the rock hit then primed and painted mine.

12. Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    New grill came by UPS at 8pm last night! Long days for UPS crew, I guess. The plastic is shiny black-actually looks like it is painted black. I wonder if it will blush (fog) if I do not paint it.

Well, I got anxious and pulled my old one off. Two screws, two clips across the top and out it came.

Come to find out, OEM Grille clips (takes 2) (Toyota part number 5314512010) ($2.57 ea) were both trashed by the previous owner. I do not know if I will replace the seal that attaches to the top of the grille (Toyota part number 5338104040 ($20.45) and the mini clips Toyota part number 5338104040-a ($0.76 ea).

Any suggestions on if the new plastic grille should be painted?

13. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I would replace the seal on top of the grill personally. It seems like there is a 1/4 inch gap between the hood and grill IIRC. As far as painting I suppose it depends on if you like the finish on the grill as it sits right now. I would think that if it is glossy you could put some wax on it and it would probably be fine. If you would rather have it flat or match your lower valance then I would probably paint it with something similar to that. That is what I did with mine. Grill, inside the headlights, and the lower valance are all color / textured matched.

*Edit* I want to see what it looks like on your truck:D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  14. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    B. Turner you said you have factory DTRL can you post up a picture of you headlight connector?

15. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I'm assuming you meant the DTRL connection?

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

16. Jul 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    Yes thats what I was looking for but it blew my theory out the water. Its strictly a relay that determines the DTRL on the newer models, the wiring is the same.
    Thanks

17. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Yeah I think you're right. I know some models have 3 wires running into the light. Not sure what the difference is but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that those are the ones that are melting the lens covering the light.

18. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
  19. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
  20. Jul 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member