1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BLUETOOTH ADAPTERS?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Muskwa, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    Muskwa

Muskwa [OP] I don't roll on Saturday

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    I've tried 3 brand names of Bluetooth adapters for my factory JBL stereo in my '08 DCSB TRD SR5 rig and haven't had any luck in getting them to work.

- Coldstream
    - Wavejamr
    - Cablejive

I have the OEM iPhone 30 pin cable that goes into the back of the stereo.

Does anyone out there have one that works?

IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    I have the Grom Audio unit, its an older usb2 version with the Bluetooth accessory. Not sure if it works with OEM JBL systems, check the website, but it works OK with my 05 DC stereo. I have an Iphone 5S. I haven't had anyone complain about the audio quality while in hands free mode. It does a few cool things....

1.) Steering wheel controls work
    2.) If the stereo is off it will turn it on and switch to the CD/Grom unit when a call comes in
    3.) If the FM radio is on it will switch to the CD/Grom unit when a call comes in
    4.) It will display the contact name in the stereo if the contact is in your phone
    5.) It will stream audio from your phone ie music, phone navigation, ect...
    6.) Pressing scan twice brings up Siri/voice commands if you are connected via Bluetooth and not streaming music

Limitations....
    1.) The unit will only connect to Bluetooth the first 3min the truck is started. Warm up your truck for 10min, or turn Bluetooth on your phone on, and it won't connect again until the truck is shut off and on again. It took a while for me to realize this.
    2.) There is a slight delay in switching audio modes when a call comes in. Things will be soft and you think something is wrong until you realize the unit just hasn't switch fully to Bluetooth mode yet, it ust starts out soft for a few seconds, its not "not connected".
    3.) There is no track info shown on the stereo unit when streaming Bluetooth. A Bluetooth limitation, not Grom's fault.
    4.) Streaming music via Bluetooth, shuts off the ability to press scan twice and get Siri/Voice Commands. But you can still press the home button to get Siri. Think this is a iPhone limitation.
    5.) When the unit switches the stereo from FM to CD/Grom for a phone call, it does not switch back when the call is over. Annoying.
    6.) Sometimes I forget to press the right button on the stereo when a call comes in, pressing accept on the phone does not switch the stereo to CD/Grom. Audio will be muted. The audio won't get switched correctly when that happens. I have a feeling many people unhappy with Grom units, just don't accept the calls the proper way.
    7.) Last but not least, even though the Grom unit has multiple ports, I don't think you can have more than one port connected at the same time. Playing an ipod through one port gets distorted if you plug in the Bluetooth adapter.

I have a feeling some of the above are just limitations with how Bluetooth and phones work. It is just quirky.

After getting a smart phone I really want a unit that mirrors and operates my phone on a navigation like screen, Bluetooth just seems clunky. But it might be a while for something like that to come around. This is an acceptable alternative.

Hope this helps someone else.

3. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    Muskwa

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    That Grom unit looks interesting.

but I'm just looking for a bluetooth adapter that just plugs into the 30 pin cable.

4. Jan 13, 2014 at 4:22 AM
    dessertsand05

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    The 30pin of the phone?

5. Jan 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    Muskwa

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    The adapter plugs into the cable that runs into the back of the stereo,

then you pair the bluetooth adapter to the phone.

Maybe there's some kind of firmware update for the stereo?

IMG_0731.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. Jan 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    dessertsand05

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    I looked up some of those products to get an idea of what your talking about.

Im not all that familiar with the JBL systems. This may be a stupid question, but just trying to figure out where you are starting from. Did the 30pin chord you want to use come with the OEM stereo?

Are you currently able to plug the Ipod or Iphone into the stereo and use it with just the chord?

Can't see why those adapter wouldn't work from the ipod or iphone stand point.

7. Jan 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
  8. Jan 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    Muskwa

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    The 30 pin cord is a factory supplied option.

When I plug the iPhone into this cord, the iPhone charges and plays anything on the phone i.e. iTunes, Netflix, through the stereo (SAT setting)

I don't understand why it wont play with a bluetooth adapter.

I ordered 2 other types and when they come in, I'm going also use a pass through to see it that works.

9. Feb 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    Muskwa

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    I tried the "mpow" adapter and the stereo recogonized the adapter i.e. displaying "hello ipod" but it still wouldn't play from the iphone.

Products Discussed in

To Top