1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To Install A Pioneer X5500 in 2nd Gen Tacoma with ASWC1 Module and Parking Bypass

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NorCalTRD, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    trktwo

trktwo Nagger

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    biloxi
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    thank you! (and thank you to OP!!!!) i installed pioneer avhx-4500bt, aswc-1, and ebay parking brake bypass today, took about 30 minutes. thats because i did all my connections and soldering this past week.:cool:

next is to install pioneer CD-IV202AV cable, and see if i can watch some video from my iphone 5. i'm wondering about using a usb splitter to run that cable and a regular iphone cable. that way i can have the option of sing the normal cable to charge my phone, or using the pioneer cable for the few times i watch videos or apps from the iphone. would like to run the pioneer cable into the consol, because it is an embarrassing "solution" to the problem.

also, i was kinda disappointed with the metra dash kit that came from crutchfield. it doesn't seem to fit right.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    bluedegeon

bluedegeon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR ACLB 4WD
  3. Mar 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    MrK

MrK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Sequoia Limited
    I just installed a backup camera with the 5600 in my 2003 Sequoia, and like the results. Maybe the 5500 is similar. I ran the red wire to ACC (so the camera is energized the whole time the car is turned on), and the black wire to ground. But on the 5600, there is a separate, third wire (violet/white) used to detect when the car is in reverse. So I ran a separate wire from violet/white, tapping into one of the backup light wires that is energized (12 volts) when the car is put in reverse. So now when I put the car in reverse, the 5600 senses this and changes the 5600 display to the backup camera. When I take the car out of reverse, the 5600 reverts to whatever function I was using, i.e. HD Radio, etc. The advantage of having the camera energized continuously is that you can switch to the rear display any time you want, not only when in reverse. However, someone in another forum mentioned that a possible downside is that the camera could burn out prematurely. I don’t know if this is true.

If the 5500 doesn’t have the third wire (violet/white or whatever) feature, then I think you would connect the red wire to one of the backup light wires that is energized (12 volts) only when you put the car in reverse. Black wire to ground as usual. In this installation, the camera is only on while the car is in reverse. Good luck.

4. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Wow, everybody has been busy!
    Looks like some SWEET setups :)

Bluedegeon, I ran the redblack wires to my left tail light and used the reverse lights 12V wire.
    So now whenever the reverse light gets power so does the camera.

Also, be sure to setup the radio!
    In mine it didnt display until I set the Camera Polarity setting to Battery rather than Ground or None.

I upgraded from my generic Android to an iPhone5S and now I cannot use the Pandora interface on my Radio.
    It will fail to connect.
    Pioneer wants me to buy some $200 worth of cables to connect the iPhone, what a bunch of bullshit. The whole idea is to have NO CABLES.

However, it works just fine using Pandora App on my iPhone.
    I synced my iPhone to the X5500, then start playing Pandora, then select Bluetooth Audio rather than Pandora.

I think it actually works BETTER this way than in its own Pandora mode.
    It stops and starts music on my Pandora when I get in/out of the truck, pretty cool although I think the damn Pandora mode should work since its advertised too!
    I would like to have in dash navigation so now considering replacing the 5500 with an AppRadio or something that can show the Google Maps.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. May 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    nbrooks

nbrooks Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner

An update with a lesson learned.

Warranty Service from Pioneer is practically none existent.
    Around the beginning of March the unit started having problems with the SiriusXM function. I emailed Pioneer tech support and advised that I had performed the firmware update, but that the screen occasionally froze.

It took TechSupport 6 days to respond and advise me to perform the firmware update. I responded, telling them to look at my first email where I told them I'd already done that. Another 6 days and they tell me to take it into their authorized repair shop. Shortly thereafter the unit failed to recognize the Sirius Module so I contacted Sirius and they immediately shipped a replacement. The unit failed to recognize the replacement so I then took it into the repair facility on April 9th.

On April 21, the repair shop said they'd ordered a replacement XM board but they had no date when the board would be available and advised me to contact Pioneer for a replacement 5600BHS. I did so that same day and received a claim number and was told I'd be contacted within 48 hours.

There was no contact and I again emailed Pioneer and also contacted them via phone on April 29th was assured that the replacement would be shipped the next day and they'd give me a tracking number. (during this time I had also contacted the Consumer Business Alliance of Southern California who intervened but never received any response to their inquiries).

Not hearing from Pioneer on the 30th, I again contacted them on May 1, 2014 and finally received an email giving me a tracking number on May 2, 2014.

I guess I'm lucky because I found out that Pioneer will not honor warranties if you purchase their products through Amazon - now exactly how someone is supposed to know that is totally beyond me, because you don't actually see the warranty until you purchase the product.

If you have a problem with a unit purchased from an on line vendor or through Amazon - you should take advantage of Amazon's return policies. If you rely on Pioneer you'll probably be without a working unit for a couple of months.

I was thinking of writing a letter to the President of Pioneer North America detailing my experience, then I did a little googling and found a website where employees can rate their companies. Pioneer North America apparently has some real problems since a downsizing in 2009. Employees report that sales take precedence over Customer Service. I've had problems with purchases before and with Toshiba for example - they shipped me a new unit immediately and took a credit card number to ensure that I'd send the defective unit back when I received the replacement. Sirius shipped me a new module within days of my request.

I'm not sure that I would have received any different treatment had I purchased the unit from one of Pioneers authorized distributors at a cost of nearly $100 more than the Amazon price.

That being said - when it was working it was great.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. May 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    sorry to hear that and hope you get the replacement soon.

I think this is a risk we all take buying cheaper elsewhere instead of paying more at crutchfield. The warranty from authorized dealer only is fairly standard and is the same for any electronic device, like cameras, computers, tv, etc. The seller on Amazon or amazon itself may be an authorized dealer. you can try calling amazon. It appears they honored the warranty for your unit you got from amazon, albeit slowly. The quality of the product is the same, authorized dealer or not, only difference is warranty. If your pioneer box came with a USA warranty certificate, then it is from an authorized dealer and not a gray market item.

I had xm before on my stock jbl stereo, had the service for 4 years and then cancelled and now use hd radio and pandora only. I don't think I miss anything by cancelling xm, unless you got the howard stern station, which I don't.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/78417-xm-subscription.html
    you can probably ask for credit for the days your unit was out of service from xm. They'll probably just extend your subscription renewal date, which looks to be like over a month in your case.

7. May 8, 2014 at 2:12 AM
    nbrooks

nbrooks Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    And one more chapter of the saga

Today, the replacement unit arrived at the Houston repair facility and I dutifully went there to pick it up.

What Pioneer apparently decided was an appropriate replacement for the defective Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS was the 2013 version. What the repair facility received in exchange was an AVH-X5500BHS refurbished unit.

Not only that, the refurbished unit had a limited 90 day warranty which apparently replaces the 360 day warranty of the original unit.

Needless to say I'm somewhat perturbed and will be contacting Pioneer in the morning. Although the terms of the warranty indicate they may substitute an equivalently priced model, the replacement does not have the same attributes as the one I purchased. Why in the world they decided to replace this years model with last years is totally outside of my comprehension.

more to come

8. May 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    doughboy

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I thought the 5500 and 5600 are exactly identical except for the label (which you won't even see on the faceplate) so they can sell it for $100 more.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-O0pXVA...eer-AVH-X5500BHS-vs-Pioneer-AVH-X5600BHS.html

if you really want the 5600, maybe you can ask them to move the xm board from the 5500 to the 5600, but I would just leave it alone if it were me.

when I was shopping for a head unit, I noticed the price of x5500 was actually higher than the x5600 on ebay (and probably on Amazon). who knows you might actually be getting a better unit if pioneer decided to use lower quality cheaper components on the x5600.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Jul 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    nbrooks

nbrooks Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner

Sooo, I contacted Pioneer and was advised to return the replacement to them - they provided me a fedex prepay label for the return. About a week after they received the return, I received a brand new replacement unit.

It's been installed and working perfectly for about 6 weeks.

When dealing with a defective unit - deal with the place you bought it from and avoid Pioneer warranty service at all costs.

10. Jul 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    doughboy

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    glad it ended well.
    I liked the pioneer I got, that I also replaced the radio of my old car with a pioneer deh-x8600bh for $130.

11. Feb 23, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Bumping for visibility, it got quite buried. :p

12. Oct 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    larrybbaker

larrybbaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    larry
    South Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4WD
    OME 885 | Bilstein 5100 x 4 | WeatherTech Window Visors | VAIS Tech SiriusXM Adapter |Alpine KTP-445U Amp | Anytime fog light mod
    In the past there parking bypass set up you could use with a few harness connections and a relay in the middle - does anyone know if this still works?

Products Discussed in

To Top