1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idea for hauling dirt bikes! needs work.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Mr Ribby, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nov 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Yesterday I was working on my dirt bike for my yearly winter project. When I came across this thought. The normal way for hauling dirt bikes is two regular straps to each side of the handlebars, and then down to the ring on the bed floor.

But what if

there was a way to make a bracket, similar to the ones you see drilled into trailers for motorcycles, that would hang from the tie down slide that runs across the wall behind the rear window. Then find another way to have a sort of clamp on rear wheel that extended from one of the side walls or both to prevent tip and rolling backwards. Just food for thought I may try and draw it up or something. Yes I know you can buy the wheel lock floor mounts, but I don't want to drill in my bed.

What you all think? I cant be the only one that constantly checks the bed to make sure their bike is still standing upright? Plus the upside would be no compression on the shocks consequently prolonging the life before a rebuild would be necessary.

2. Nov 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/racks/bedbuddy.html

I thought there was a post for something like this that was ready for our track system.

I've hauled two bikes in the back of my truck with just the cleat system and not had a problem. I spread the weight out between the front corners of the side tracks as well as the front tracks.

EDIT: another option is buying the D rings that come stock in the rear of our beds and move them to the Bed mount bolts near the front, gives you a purchase point that is lower and a little more sturdy. There is a write up in the sticky DIY posts

Good Luck.

3. Nov 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Eh that's kinda what I was thinking but not completely, I want something that wraps onto the tire a little more ill draw up a picture and post my idea. maybe ill get lucky and someone can fab one up, im not looking to make money, just help other riders. I find the cleats are nice but they have a little to much flex for my liking

4. Nov 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    gooch14

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    Sorry, I didn't read the post clearly and thought you were looking for ideas for just you, not to fab stuff for sale.

As for compression of the shocks. I bought one of those Air Plane looking things that goes between the fender and front tire and won't let the shocks compress but when that was lost I cut a 2x6 and wrote 'Keep' on it with a Sharpie so I wouldn't toss it later.

5. Nov 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    yeah I find 2x6 works very well sometimes. I don't know if I will end up fabricating this out, but here is what I worked up as a rough draft just an idea. My hopes is one of the already numerous fabricators on here or a local guy will be able to create this for me. I wish I had the resources and knowledge to fab this up, but being a college student, my pockets are a bit empty 365 days of the year. 1AD17233-EF11-4CFE-B2D5-E385399ABDFC_zps_e95e822484e5b6e86c5468c377c696ca477ca5e8.jpg

6. Nov 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    The blocks are where a bracket would have to be made to go into rails in the bed. I didn't worry about drawing up a front tire piece cause their are multiple ones out their, could just be improved on. My goal is to go for something that is faster then messing with straps and stronger/more reliable. the three supports would land on your tailgate so it would function as a holder for your dirt bike, and a bed extender! 2 for 1 KMART special haha

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  7. Nov 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    It also would probably end up in round tube, not square, just didn't feel like messing with circles on AutoCAD
    Let me know what you think, what can be improved on what you guys would find use full etc.

mmmm

Maybe a gas can holder on one of the corners?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. Nov 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    jensenjoe

jensenjoe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab 4x4 SR5, red
    42" LED lightbar, CB, PA system, sirens, SKL Motorworks KL-PRO1 performance chip, Viper alarm w/keyless entry, Rancho Quicklift Loaded struts, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front spacers, RuggedLift 2" rear block spacers, Revtek 1" Diff-drop, 4' Firestik w/custom fabbed bed mount, round LED flood/fog lights, Apex 8000k Xenon HID's
    I pretty much just use the roll bar in my bed for this . I really like your idea though. I'd love to see it prototyped

9. Nov 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    gooch14

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I think I'd like it with square framing over round.

It'd be sweet if there were brackets that slip into the rail system of the 2nd Gens, then the actual framing mounts to the already installed, and out of the way, brackets within the trucks rail system.

10. Nov 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    Mr Ribby

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Can you explain this a little more? I have an idea of what you mean, but not a complete full understanding. Thanks!

I do agree to on the square bar, heck with the square bar I might even be able to set up some led light tabs or something for help when cleaning up at night. I've been really busy with writing apps for school, so when I get some time (hopefully this weekend) I'm going to create a more detailed CAD drawing and then ill post it up for some more refinement/suggestions. Maybe if all goes well ill have a prototype created and mounted for next riding season. Then maybe I can work something out with a local fab and test the market for something like this, maybe even give a couple away. :D

11. Nov 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    JonEvans56

JonEvans56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    Dead Truck
    Rust, dents, cracking plastic, oxidized paint...
    You still might want to strap them down so they dont bounce around- just in case.

Cool idea/design though!

12. Nov 10, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    gooch14

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    As for the square tubing, it'd make it easier to weld small tabs for mounting points for things other than the bike, and you could weld something like small alligator clips to hold the tails from the ratchet straps. No matter how well I tie the tails off when my bike is secure, they always seem to come un-done and then flap in the wind for most of my trip.

As for the rail system in the 2nd gens. Think of a plate that mounts in the rail system of the 2nd gens, then the rack/mount system for the bike slips into those.

The plates in the OEM truck rail system could be left in the truck when the bike system is removed for quick and easy installation.

Products Discussed in

To Top