1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by peiscooter, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Nov 12, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    How are the Adventures holding up? Are you still pleased? Are they wearing even? I'm considering these for my 4runner. Thanks!

2. Nov 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    CambridgeTRD

CambridgeTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cambridge, ON
    I've had these on my Tacoma for just over a year. They seem to be holding up pretty well and are pretty good in the snow and the mild off road stuff I've done. I've got no complaints and they seem to be a very versatile tire.

Jeff

3. Nov 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    KCEpp

KCEpp Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DC 4x4
    Good to know...thanks. I'm eyeing these for my next set.

4. Nov 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    I know it's an older question, but....
    The new AT Adventures do NOT have Kevlar in the sidewall; only under the tread face. The Durawall sidewall is a cut-resistant rubber compound, but it ain't Kevlar.
    On the other hand, the AT Adventure isn't designed as a mud crawling or rock hopping tire. If you're taking these things through the rock gardens, you need to work on your resistance to peer pressure. :D

5. Nov 14, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    oldswab

oldswab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    14 dbl cab TRD OR 6MT
    Same here...about a year/9000mi.

They are still the most quiet, moderately aggressive tread-patterned tire I've ever driven for daily driving and interstate trips. They have been great in the rain--I had a couple of "I need to stop right effingham now" scares on the interstate in two of the worst rainstorms I've ever been in during vacations the past year. Loose gravel, they grip fine as well.

Compared to the the Radial Long Trail T/A's I had on my '04, I think that those "felt" better in the snow, but I'm comparing an auto 3.6 AT with different gearing to a '14 MT 4.0. So, it's a bit like comparing apples and aardvarks. I was VERY happy with those tires in the MN, MO, and KS snow, now I slide noticeably more, but it's hard to tell if I'm just in a gear slightly too high, as KS doesn't get me as much practice as MN (thankfully, damn it).

picture of my older tires on an older topic--note Radial Long Trail TA are *not* the infamous "Rugged Fails"--which I don't quite think deserve as bad of a reputation as they get, but w/e...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...mbo-1st-gen-anything-concern.html#post6826082

Radial Long Trail T/A are cheaper, too, IIRC, but they make a lot more road noise.

Didn't realize how much cheaper they are--around set of 4 for $608. I paid over a grand for my Goodyears, mounted and installed, with an $80 rebate card from the mfg.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S&tab=All

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  6. Nov 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    Deercamp

Deercamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Seacoast area New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Double Cab LB, Pyrite Mica
    Access Lite Rider Bed Cover, sill protectors, Weathertech mats, Wet Okole seat covers, de-badged, Plasti-Dipped Grill Emblem (black), LT 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure Kevlar tires
    Just purchased 16" steel rims with TPMS valves/lug nuts that came off a 2013 Tacoma 4WD DC. Had Sears remove the Dunlops and replace them with Goodyear LT 245/75/16 Adventures. Tire Rack has a usefull survey guide for AT tires and the Adventure currently ranks #1. Got the tires as I have already had a flat with the Dunlops (a dog tooth from riding gravel roads). Believe the LT Adventure will offer significantly better protection on gravel roads. My OE 17" alloy wheels are now on my 2010 4Runner (did not care for the 20" wheels on the Limited 4Runner- believe the 17" Tacoma alloys actually look better and offer more tire choices. I may put Goodyeaar Adventures on the 4Runner if the ones on my Tacoma do well. (Sears did not charge me for programming the new TPMS valves into the Tacoma computer.)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. Nov 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    There's a rebate on those right now, too. Not sure if Sears told you about it or not. $80 on a set of 4.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/save/tire-coupon

8. Nov 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    Deercamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Access Lite Rider Bed Cover, sill protectors, Weathertech mats, Wet Okole seat covers, de-badged, Plasti-Dipped Grill Emblem (black), LT 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure Kevlar tires
    Thanks for the tip Noel- Sears did not tell me about a possible rebate- I'll check with them tomorrow. (The tires I got were LT rated- it's not clear if the rebate pertains to P rated or LT rated Adventures or both.)

9. Nov 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    The rebate applies to both. I work for a wholesaler and we've been pushing the rebates pretty heavy for the last couple of months.

10. Nov 14, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    oldswab

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    14 dbl cab TRD OR 6MT
    Bet that's one apologetic dog.

Like to know your opinion of them after you get a chance to ride 'em around a bit.

11. Nov 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    I had GY all terrain Adventures with Kevlar. 265/70r17 They were good. Got 33,000 miles out of them. Changed to Cooper Discoverer AT3 255/75r17 and I like these better. Better in wet grass and mud.

12. Nov 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    Deercamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Thanks- I just downloaded and printed out the Goodyear Mail in Rebate form from the Goodyear website. I'll be visiting Sears this morning. Cost for each LT245/75R16 tire will be $198 after the rebate. Next year (after our NH winter and after about 500 miles travel on gravel and logging roads) I'll submit a review.

DSC_1572.jpg

13. Nov 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    Deercamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Re: my transition from OE Dunlops (P Rated) to Goodyear Adventures (LT Pro Rated). Noticed that LT tires were inflated by Sears technician to 29 psi (similar to recommended PSI on the door panel for the P rated tires). Today, after doing quite a bit of internet research, I increased pressure of the LTs to 45 PSI. I do not plan on carrying heavy loads in the Tacoma- I got the LTs due to travel on gravel roads and logging trails that are occasionally littered with studs from snowmobile treads, as well as their performance in snow. (I have had flats from both snowmobile studs and sharp gravel on both my 4Runner and Tacoma - primarily due to the less protection their OE P rated tires offered.) Anyway, LT tires , due to their heavier weight and construction, REQUIRE a higher PSI than P rated tires. However raising the LT pressure to 45 PSI has caused my TPMS light to go on so it appears I'll have to have the car computer modified again to see if it will recognize this higher pressure as "normal". If any of you have different recommendation for LT tire pressure I'd appreciate your insight.

Also, several of the sites I visited mentioned importance of proper "break in" for new tires - (500 miles of moderate acceleration/breaking/ and cornering.)

14. Nov 17, 2014 at 3:32 AM
    CambridgeTRD

CambridgeTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cambridge, ON

15. Nov 17, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    Great tires. Winter traction is great. No Complaints.

[​IMG]

16. Nov 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    BigBiscuit

BigBiscuit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass.
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Just set your tire pressure to the desired amount. Light will come on. Just push and hold the reset button under your steering column for several seconds. When you release, the light goes out and that is your new setting.

17. Nov 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM
    Deercamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    Just completed a 400 mile trip (Maine Tpk.) - averaged 20 mpg (70 mph)- LT Wrangler Adventures are quiet, however the additional tire weight is noticeable when steering. TPMS light still activates after resetting per suggestions and owner's manual- I suspect that either Sears did not properly coordinate the new wheels and TPMS sensors to the truck computer or possibly the truck computer must be modified to recognize that 40 PSI is now the new normal. Anyway, I can live with the light on, just moderately annoying. When it's time to replace my OE 4Runner tires (Dunlops) I'll likely go with the "P" rated Wrangler Adventures which are several pounds lighter than the LT version and which can be operated at a softer riding 30 PSI.

It appears I lost about 1mpg (5%) with the LT Adventures vs the OE "P" rated Dunlop AT 20s.

18. Nov 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    SpecialK

SpecialK Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Icon UCA's, Ext Travel coil-overs, rear reservoir shocks
    I just installed these new Goodyears and really like them. They replaced a set of Duratracs that had 50K on them and had become so noisy they were unbearable. These Adventurers are incredibly quiet and the ride is fantastic. Will update once I've been off road with them.

19. Feb 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM
    ScudRunner

ScudRunner Three Tacomas Deep

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Twin Cities, MN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    IMRYO mirror mount, color keyed front and rear, SCS wheels, 5100 on corners, ALCAN leaf packs, ECGS bushing
    So, I had the All Terrain Adventures put on the Taco back in September. I ended up breaking the bank for these and really wanted the "All Season" ability to pay off my debt.

3 months into winter on the Adventures has me believing that you do get what you pay for.

Pros:
    • These are wonderful sounding tires. They don't hum as loud as the stock Goodrich T/A that came on the Tacoma. They're quieter, but there's still that nice big-tire hum.
    • Snow traction is really good. I accept that I'm driving a rear-wheel drive vehicle with little weight over the rear wheels, but even in 4x2, these tires grip respectably on snow and slush. The tread pattern does a wonderful job of throwing snow out of the grooves as you roll instead of packing it in and turning your tires into slicks.

Cons:
    • Gas mileage has dropped. I moved up to the 265/75 from the stock tires. May be the larger circumference, or may be the design of the tire, but Fuelly.com is showing that my average MPG is down about 1.
    • They look good but not MUD AWESOME on the Tacoma. I didn't get white lettering. They look pretty stock, actually. Fine, but not cool. I wasn't too concerned about the looks when I paid, though.

I can't report on wear yet since I've been driving in snow and slush since I got them, and haven't put more than 10K on them. However, today: I'm completely happy with these tires.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  20. Nov 6, 2015 at 10:13 PM
    oldswab

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    14 dbl cab TRD OR 6MT
    Hi again folks. I had wanted to keep doing a long term evaluation of the tire through snow season this year, but I totaled my Taco last month.

The tires were great in rain, pretty good in snow, and really, really quiet on the highway, up through ~15K when they went the way of the insurance dodo bird. I'm not sure how fast they would clear mud based on snow performance, but that's an "I don't know thing", not a knock on the tire.

I have no complaints for these tires in snow, rain, and highway applications, or in some loose gravel that I played in back home in Louisiana.

Products Discussed in

To Top