1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose lug nuts on aluminum wheels?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MeefZah, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah [OP] -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I recently bought 4 of the FJ Aluminum wheels on CL.

Seller was a squared away guy and he gave me the correct (washer style) lug nuts.

I had the tires remounted on the FJ wheels, and 100 miles later I re torqued the lug nuts to 83 f/lb (with a borrowed wrench). All were maybe 1/8 turn loose at that time.

No big deal, I figured that was it.

I've been checking them once a week for the past month and every time, at least 4 of the 6 nuts on each wheel are loose, always about the same 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. This is after only about 200 - 500 miles each time.

The lugs are the correct length (I can get a nut 10 full turns before it begins to tighten against the wheel) and the nuts are correct for the wheels (I think, from the research I did). There is no damage to the wheels that I can see and no excessive dirt or corrosion that would impair the ability of the wheels to correctly seat.

Is this normal for these style wheels, or is this a problem? I've never had steel wheels loosen except maybe the first time, after that, the lug nuts never budge. It's getting annoying and I wonder how they will hold up when I go out west this coming year, thousands of miles.

2. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    i always torque aluminum to bout 110 or so
    i feel like anything under a 100 is asking for issues

3. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    I wouldn't call it abnormal, I have alloys with the washered acorn nuts, whenever I do my rotations every 5 to 7,000, there always seems to be a slightly looser nut here and there..I have recently got to checking the nuts occassionaly, especially if I am taking a long trip....

having it come loose every 500 miles, that is extreme...as the previous poster stated more torque will help I usually do 95fp, I don't want to stress the aluminum alloy, it has its limitations....

how about a picture of one of the nuts and a pic of the wheel hole, just for reference purposes...maybe some steelie nuts where used accidently at one time, might have done a slight bevel or ridge to da hole...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  4. Dec 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
    Mine are torqued to 115.
    The torque spec for my civic wheels is 89, and it's a smaller stud.

5. Dec 24, 2014 at 8:53 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    more torque than recommended is NOT the way to go

-all new Toyota OEM nuts- throw old ones away they have been abused

remove wheels

clean stud threads with wire brush and alcohol, dry it

torque to 85 foot lbs using new 24 new lug nuts

problem solved

6. Dec 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Agreed. Over torque can cause vibration problems or other grief. Costco over torqued the crap out of my wheels recently and I shook on the way home. Before I took it back for a re-balance, I checked the torque and it was way off. I re torqued to spec and it was all good.

7. Dec 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Finally someone posted logical info. MY goodness why are people torque aluminum rims to 100 ft-lbs? Torque then to factory specs in a torque sequence. More isn't better.

deanosaurus likes this.
  8. Dec 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You should torque them in a cross pattern in stages.

First torque go half the torque, cross pattern.
    Second stage go the full torque, cross pattern.
    Then on the final torque go in a circular pattern to full torque.

9. Dec 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah [OP] -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.

10. Dec 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Lock tight.

11. Dec 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    All these guys are giving advice that should be followed.

12. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    :facepalm:

13. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    SxSW

SxSW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NM
    Vehicle:
    14 Base
    Maybe try indexing all the lug nuts on one wheel with crayon or white out.
    That way you can tell if the lug nuts are actually turning loose or something else is going on.

14. Dec 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah [OP] -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Here's a picture of the lug nut and the stud and surrounding wheel.

Thanks for the advice.

I believe my first move will be to buy a torque wrench (I can't believe I've put off doing that for....mmm...20 years...?). Retorque one wheel and mark the lugs, recheck in a week. If it doesn't move then I'll just retorque the others; if it does move I'll buy new OEM lug nuts, dismount, and clean the mating surfaces and studs.

Any other thoughts from the photos?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dec 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    "I believe my first move will be to buy a torque wrench"

:facepalm:OMG...

Your wheels look fine, clean everything, reassemble, and wait on the lug nut replacement, your nuts look OK, LOL, can't believe I said that...

Good grief on the torque wrench, okay not to have with steelies, but mandatory with alloys...

2WD likes this.
  16. Dec 26, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    What the hell. It's not a frikken scientific experiment. You think that some Toyota engineer is watching this thread and thinking, "Gee I hope these guys figure out how to mount a wheel. We can't figure it out." There is a proper procedure with the proper tools and parts.

Is this thread going to turn out like that one zillion page thread about a vibration?

2WD likes this.
  17. Dec 26, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You need a torque wrench - plain & simple. I've torqued my lugs at 100ft lbs on all my vehicles and never had any issues. I also use anti-seize.

You inherited USED lug nuts. I would highly recommend buying NEW lug nuts and go from there..... If you're still having problems, I would inspect the lugs themselves. If the threads (on lugs or lug nuts) are worn, they won't hold.

Over torquing lug nuts can cause your rotors to warp and probably not good on the lugs/threads either.

18. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Torque wrench, and new lug nuts you can get off Amazon for cheap. Otherwise you're going to be fighting a never ending battle.

You have our advice, it's up to you what to do with it.

19. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Torque Values are an engineered figure for a reason
    There is probably, considerable leeway, over/under, to a limit.
    Correct lug Torque keeps your wheels on your vehicle, thus your vehicle on the road (ask how I know).
    Under-torque can result in loosening, over-torque can result in failure, as in pic below.
    Any lube on the threads also changes (lowers) the engineered torque value. Yes, even anti-seize.
    Once again, not a drastic change, but over-torquing a lubed thread a 100 times, can have a cumulative effect.
    One of the results can be degrading of the threads on the bolt, nut or both and possible bolt failure.
    Have to agree with janster and others above,
    Inspect lug threads, replace if worn, new lug nuts and get a good torque wrench.
    The pic below came from here with a little discussion about lubed threads, if interested.
    I'm not a pro, but have had this discussion with a few.
    The fact that I'm not a pro, makes me torque everything to spec (Except Tacoma's Leaf Spring U-Bolts, another discussion).
    I just throw it out there, so those that haven't thought about it, might.
    Good luck with your lug issues

j9mujo_1d475c36cc4e440434b08f93e4131a27be13a090.jpg

CC

20. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I would order a new set of lug nuts, I got some dormans of that style from Rock Auto for $1.17 each when I mounted some used aluminum 17" sport rims I got last summer.

And make sure the back of the rims, and the hub mating surface are clean and FLAT.

I would use anti-seize on lug nuts only with a 20% lowering of torque values and a torque wrench really helps.

Let us know how you make out.

Howard

Howard

Products Discussed in

To Top