1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 liter - 5vz-fe - strange whirring/screeching sound... Help.

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Buoni, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Feb 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    Buoni

Buoni [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone,

Long time visitor, and first time user. I have a 3rd generation truck that started making this noise during our first cold snap in Columbus about 1 month ago. Here is a Youtube video link to the engine and sound.... It is titled:

3rd gen 4Runner - cold weather screech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WimarkAjvak

Here is what I can tell you:

1. All 3 belts are fairly new
    2. The A/C idler pulley was replaced 9 months ago.
    3. The alternator is brand new
    4. The power steering pump is not the culprit - verified by Toyota mechanic.
    5. It only does this on very cold days (we have had a lot of them), and ususally after truck has been sitting and engine is cold.
    6. The timing belt, water pump, tensioners, etc. were replaced 30K miles ago.

I think it may be the a/c idler pulley again? (I used the Gates 38031, so it should be OEM quality)
    I am thinking it could be the fan cooling bracket?

I have a stethoscope, but cannot totally pinpoint the noise. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:01 PM
    krans

krans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Huntington beach/ West min duh
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport mall crawler
    Icon extended travel with resi front and rear,Camburg UCA, All pro standard leaf pack, Fogs anytime, General grabbers AT2,Custom stainless steel brake lines,bed box, Bestop soft top,50' light bar, amber rigid pods,CBI ditch mounts with LED pods,TRD intake,Anti dark hoodlights/rock light/LED whip,FX-R retros and Gibson catback..more mods to come
    Check the tension on all the drive belts you can take off the power steering belt to try eliminating moving parts..process of elimination is your key when diagnosing noise issues

Products Discussed in

To Top