1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter Protection

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by cnew, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Feb 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    cnew

cnew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Been searching the site for catalytic converter protection options for most of the night. My job isn't in the best part of town and some folks have had their cats stolen in the parking lot so I know it is a matter of time before they come back and make a go at mine. The truck is a CA model so if it does get taken I will need to replace it with a CA specific cat ($$$$$$) or else it won't pass inspection here in AZ.

The only solution I have found so far is the cat clamp or skid plates.

If I go the skid plate route it sounds like I need to get more than 1 since they seem to bolt to themselves from front to back to get the protection I need for the converter. Is that correct or does someone make a plate that will bolt up to my truck (2011 DC) and cover this area specifically.

Has anyone come across anything different lately?? Since it seems to be such a problem I would think someone would have started manufacturing something specific to combat this issue. Yes the cat clamp is specific but at around $300 I would assume someone would make something cheaper by now.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Feb 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    any help??

3. Feb 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I've been thinking about making a skid plate to go over the cats and bolt up to each side of the frame.. Can't be that hard to weld up some square stock and some 1/8 in plate

4. Feb 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Cat clamps are nice but skids at least serve another purpose other than keeping your cats safe from being stolen.

5. Feb 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    What he said ^^^

Its up to your wallet. You can go the skid plate route and get a product that will do two things. If you dont need the skid plate(s) and only want to protect the cat, go get the cat clamps. Remember that if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

I dont think you need to get multiple skids in order for your cat to be protected. I believe there are multiple threads on here about this very topic:

(I know its a first gen but same theory applies): http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/244559-cat-anti-theft-what-my-options.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/244543-cat-converter-theft-protection.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/175294-protecting-my-catalytic-converters-help.html

6. Feb 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    dbkid05tacoma

dbkid05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 long travel 4.0L
    Total chaos long travel, fox 2.5 coil overs, glassworks unlimited fenders front and rear, DMZ fab motor mounts, Bilstien 5100s in the rear, k&n cold air intake, 33/12.5r17 red letter grabbers
    this would probably be the cheapest route but also a better one because you could design it specifically to protect the cats

7. Feb 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There is a reason that ******** is a censored company name on this site.
    The owner (Tcbob) will have to explain it to you.

8. Feb 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    cnew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Goodyear AZ
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4x4 Sport
    Thanks for the help, I can do a lot of things but welding and fabbing are not on the list, at least not yet. I guess I will stop by a fab shop sometime and get an idea of what to expect price wise.
    Does anyone here in the Phoenix area have any experience with any fab shops that I should try??

9. Mar 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I just put on a full set of Relentless Fabrication skid plates (three pieces) and they do cover the cats pretty well. I did for the off-road protection. Locally I would see Avid Off-Road in Gilbert. I have them building me a bed rack right now, and have their sliders. They make good well built stuff at very fair prices, but I dont think they do skid plates, worth asking them.

Products Discussed in

To Top