1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeping stock speakers with aftermarket head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Salmo, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    Salmo

Salmo [OP] Member

Member:
    The exact opposite of the thread below this ;)

Picking up a 2013 DCSB. From all the reading on here the best first step to upping the sound quality is replacing the stock HU. However I haven't found many suggestions on what to replace it with... Most of the upgrades listed here are the high-end nav + dvd models around $1k... I'm looking to spend around $3-500.

My criteria? Needs to be a touchscreen, to keep the similar "look" of the stock HU. Doesn't need nav- the iPhone5 covers that. The HU also needs to be compatible with said iPhone 5. I'd like to retain the steering wheel controls as well. I do listen to the radio, but would most often be playing music off the iPhone (pandora, mp3) via BT or aux connection.

Replacing the HU is the first step. Down the line I'm planning on replacing the stock speakers, adding a small amp, and a single 8" or 10" sub (don't need window-rattling sound, just want to have a great sound quality!).

I'm not a car audio guy- I'll be paying a shop to install this, just because I don't have the time or electrical experience to go through all of it. But I'd like to hear some HU's that have worked well for people in their 2013's. Thanks for any info!

2. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    best thing to do is got to crutchfield.com and enter your truck specs and browse the radios, im partial to kenwood, had there products for a long time with no issue. it have the ddx418 its a touch screen that i paid 350 for. the stock speakers sound alot better but now i am at the stage of needed them replaced.

also if you puchase through crutchfield they send you everything you need to install the radio.

3. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    I like Clarion... never given me any issues off road with my VX401
    Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine are all good
    Some Eclipse plug straight in without a wiring harness, but they are pricey

To retain steering wheel controls you will need the appropriate SWI adapter from Pac-Audio, which is about $85.

4. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'm a big fan of Pioneer HU's. I like Alpines hardware/sound but the interface blows goats.

Find someone in your local area on here (TW) to install it for you. Installing a HU is about as easy as wiping your ass. Save cash, no need to pay a full installer for something that takes about 30 minutes to do.

5. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I've ran Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood between various vehicles in the past and only ever had problems with Sony. I wouldn't hesitate to own any of the other 3 again. Currently have a Kenwood now. Only double DIN touchscreen I've ever had however was a pioneer.

6. Apr 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    Sheepshead45

Sheepshead45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I'm no audio geek myself, but here's what I did FWIW.

First I replaced the stock front speakers in my '10 extended cab. I can not over-state how incredibly cheap & crappy stock Toyota speakers are. They are literally the cheapest speakers it's possible to buy. I would think it would be fairly useless to install a new head unit while keeping the stock speakers. I replaced with some nice 6X9's in the $80 range and it made a great improvement. I kept the useless "tweeters" in place, as well as the $0.50 "rear" speakers (nothing more than tissue paper under the headliner).

That's all I had planned to do, but then my wife called Crutchfield and ordered me a $180 kenwood unit last x-mas. When I finished this install, the improvement in clarity was simply amazing! I had not appreciated just how cheap & crappy the stock head unit was either, but I should have figured this to be the case.

My only complaint was that I did not add the thingy to make the steering contols work. The controls on the Kenwood are ridiculously small; it's a major PIA just to change radio stations. So that's now on order and I'm going back in for some minor surgery this weekend.

I also suck at electronics, etc. but I must say it has been very easy & straightforward installing all this stuff. For under $300 I feel as though I have vastly improved my truck's audio... worth every penny IMO.

7. Apr 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    toyo13

toyo13 New Member

Member:
    Are there any that will accomodate the use of the Aux port that is already in the truck?

8. Apr 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Salmo

Salmo [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info. I started on Crutchfield but everything says "modified fit"... Does that mean it'll require a dash kit as well? ********* sells a full kit... required for the Crutchfield suggestions?

What's the size screen on the stock HU?

Found some items I like on the Pioneer, Alpine & Kenwood websites... Unfortunately none of them are listed on Crutchfield. Guess I'll have to do some more digging.

That's good to hear. I figured out the wiping bit about a year ago- may be some hope for me yet ;) In all seriousness I'm just concerned about breaking something if I start digging around in the guts of the car. But if it's not that bad, I should be able to figure it out.

9. Apr 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
  10. Apr 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner

Avoid taco tunes at all expenses!!!!!!!!
    All screens will need a dash kit and if when you purchase through crutchfield they send you the kit also

11. Apr 24, 2013 at 5:19 AM
    Salmo

Salmo [OP] Member

Member:
    Doing some more HW. Looks like Crutchfield only lists single DINs as fitting the 2012/13- but some threads on here say that if you call they'll get you sorted out correctly.

Looking at the Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine double DINs that range up to five bills. Once I narrow it down to a few I'll go from there...

** Non JBL. Not really interested in the entune, and I figured I could get better sound for my 2k if I went aftermarket.

12. Apr 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    2k can get you great sound. The JBL system sounds about as good as a muffled fart.

13. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Head Unit.
    Wiring harnes that goes from stock harness to head unit.
    Steering wheel control unit.
    Fit kit for dash.

Thats what you need.

14. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM
    LennyTheLip

LennyTheLip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Branch, NJ.
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCSB
    Tint and tonneau for now

The "modified fit" means it requires an adapter, and I believe you lose the functionality of the AUX and USB ports. Crutchfield only carries one double din head unit that fits, and I think it runs around $1000-$1500, all the rest are single DIN, but they do give you the dash adapters and all necessary harnesses. If you click on the "modified fit" link, it will tell you what it entails. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top