1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add a sub and amplifier without losing too much storage space?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tbkfan, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Nov 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    tbkfan

tbkfan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab 5A
    I just changed jobs and picked up my own 2012 TRD Sport DC. Before that, I was driving a 2011 TRD Sport DC (company truck that stayed behind). One of things I have loved most about the Tacoma is all of the hidden storage space. I have to carry around a decent set of basic hand tools for my job and the bins behind and under the seats allow me to keep all of the basics in the truck 24/7 so I only have to throw in larger tools and materials from time to time as needed.

I really want to upgrade the audio system on my new 2012, but I don't want to sacrifice too much of the storage space. Ideally, I would like to keep it to just the driver's side, behind-the-seat space only, keeping both underseat bins, and the passenger side behind-the-seat bin open for tools. I realize that this might not be possible, so I would consider sacrificing the passenger side behind-the-seat bin if absolutely necessary (or part of it).

I am thinking a small 4 channel amp would suit my needs. 2 channels for the front and bridge the other 2 for the sub. The rear fill speakers can run off the deck.

I am also thinking that mounting the amp under the passenger seat may be my best option, and somehow trying to shoehorn a sub enclosure behind the drivers side rear seat.

Or maybe there is a small, self-powered sub unit that would fit behind the driver's side rear seat, and then I could get away with just a small 2 channel amp to drive the front speakers.

Ultimately, I am not looking to enter any competitions. I just want something that is a notch above the factory sound. I plan on spending good money on the front component speakers and the amp to drive them. The head unit I am putting in is the Pioneer Appradio 3 (SPH-DA110).

Any suggestions or ideas?

2. Nov 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
  3. Nov 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    tbkfan

tbkfan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab 5A
    Very cool. That is exactly what I am looking for. I don't need huge bass. Just enough to fill in the low end of things. I am really not a bass hound or SPL wannabe champ. I am thinking an 8" shallow sub in a smaller box, and hopefully not have to cut the storage bin. I would like to leave the truck as stock as possible.

The Rockford Prime sounds like a monoblock. I think I am looking for a 4 channel that will comfortably fit under the drivers seat. Use 2 channels to drive the front speakers and bridge the other two for the sub.

4. Nov 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    I only have the huge rockford cause I had the amp before . I recommend a mono block for just a sub , rockford actually has a really small version of the prime 500. Would be perfect under the seat . This thing is tiny .

I think you can fit a 10 or 8 easily in the compartment without cutting if you don't need to save the child seat hook like I wanted to .

I've had shallow mounts before and they just don't sound as good IMO .

Products Discussed in

To Top