Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kenwood or Pioneer Head Unit (my requirements)

Old 02-15-2014, 05:09 AM   #1
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood or Pioneer Head Unit (my requirements)

Hey Guy's,

I haven't been into car audio for at least 15 years. So much has changed over these years.
I have the 09 Tacoma TRD Dbl cab.

I'd like to get a new head unit and from what I have been reading it looks like most people go with either Pioneer or Kenwood HU's.

My requirements are as follows:

I have an android phone, so any integration that can work with that would be great.

1.) Bluetooth for audio streaming and handsfree calling

2.) Navigation (not sure if the head units use built in nav? or your google maps app?)

3.) USB interface for movie files etc and an Aux port for connecting other devices.

4.) DVD player for movies and such.

If anyone can give me some help it would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
taco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
taco 2011's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDROID-BT-C...-/191047657441
Don't know much about the dash found it the other day. Seems like it meets all your requirements.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
What's your budget?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

Thanks guy's.

My budget is probably around 500$ or so. A little flexible though.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you're a little on the adventurous side, you can get a Pioneer AppRadio 3 ($500 with CD player, $400 without CD player) and then do what this guy did. Definitely check it out. Its pretty cool.

Besides doing what that guy did, I'm not aware of a head unit that will run navigation off an Android phone. They probably exist, I just don't know about them. Hopefully another, more informed TW member can shed some light here.

The Pioneer AVIC-X850BT seems like it has everything you want and includes built in navigation (via an SD card). One of the reviews says that it works with their Android phone. At $580, this is about as low as you can go with built in navigation while still getting a quality unit.

I can't seem to find if Kenwood has something with similar features in the same price range. All the Kenwood units with built in navigation are more expensive. At least that's what I'm seeing.

Also check out the Clarion NX404. It has the features you're looking for and works with Android phones. It also has built in navigation. Its still slightly above your budget at $550, but seems like it would be great.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and point out some HUs that can do navigation through an Android phone. If that's not possible and you want navigation, these two HUs might be your best bet.

If you can forgo on the navigation there are other units to look at, at lower prices.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Thanks Riverdog.

I read very mixed reviews about the appradio, however the way this guy has it setup with the ARunchained, it looks very promising.

I'll do some reading on this. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
AZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to all

Army:
Name: Jay
AZM9's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Best move I made. I happen to have the JBL system so it integrated easily. I am 100 % satisfied with this unit. Works with android or iPhone. You just have to get the cable for it. It does apps, sat, hd, DVD, backup camera capability, rear USB. You can find this on Amazom for around 350.00 which is real reasonable. You can do nav with your phone apps if need be.