1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering the Polk SR6500 Components up front

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DevL, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Apr 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has anyone heard or used Polk SR6500 components? A search of this site netted nothing. I can get them for $500. Thats only $20 more than XS65 Image Dynamics components from woofersetc and I have not read a review of XS65s that was as poitive as the SR6500 reviews I have read. I just cant seem to find a place to audition the SR6500 locally.

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    Abe Froman

Abe Froman The Sausage King of Chicago

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR DCSB 4x4, White
    where in TX are you? I've got a set installed in El Paso you can demo any time. They're still breaking in but I'm very impressed so far. As I'm sure you've read, bass response is not earth shattering, but the accuracy and power handling is fantastic. These ring radiator tweets really are outstanding. I'm running them full range for now with 100w of JL power on each. I can't wait to add a sub and hi-pass them - that's when they'll really shine. Here are some picks of the install: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/84190-rethink-stock-tweeter-location.html

3. Apr 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Abe Froman

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR DCSB 4x4, White
    To speak to your price point, it's a hell of a lot of speaker for $500, but they need some good clean power to realize their full potential. What will be driving them?

4. Apr 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    DevL

Member:
    Id love to take you up on your offer unfortunately I live in Houston. My girlfriend visits her family in Odessa every year, even then that is quite a drive when I am out west... Sometimes I wish Texas was not so big lol. I was considering a Zed Leviathan. That will be 150 watts @ 4 Ohms. If I dont go with teh Zed Amp I will probably get a JL HD900/5 and the comoponents would see 100 W @ 4 ohms.

A few other questions if you dont mind. Are you running any rear fill at all? Did you hear more point sourcing from the driver's side tweet or passenger side tweet before switching to coaxial configuaration? I am wondering if it is more tweeter placement or the fact you can get the tweeter pointed more on axis to your ear in coaxial mode that made a difference in sound. Did you notice much of a change with windows oup or down? I notice the Tacoma cab produces a lot of increased high frequency reflections with the windows up.

5. Apr 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    Abe Froman

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR DCSB 4x4, White
    Yeah, TX is effing huge, eh? Yes, I'm running polk DB coax 6.5s for rear fill right now and they naturally suck ass compared to the SRs. Seriously, I had DB separates as mains in an old jeep and thought they sounded ok, but when put up against the SRs with the exact same signal and amplification, DBs sound like cell speakerphones. I've got it faded just to the point where I don't hear the rears. To my ears, tweet point sourcing was nasty left and right with SR tweets in factory locations, but drivers side may have been slightly worse. I've done very little listening with the windows down (mostly because most of my critical listening happens in the garage at night while the wife is sleeping.) so I can't really comment on the difference. Glad you're considering quality amps to push these puppies. If you go for the SRs, please try the tweets in the factory locations and let me know if you have a different experience than me. I'll send you my tweeter baffles to try if you want. I'd like to know how much of the difference is in my head. Keep us posted.

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    DevL

Member:
    I tried the smaller Polk SR5250 at a local Fry's and it got toally smoked by a $200 Infinity Reference 6.5" component set. I was super disappointed. The Polk SR lacked clarity in both upper and midrange. Very inefficient on a 70 watt per channel amp the treble was too quiet even set to +2 db on the crossover. Speakers were well broken in. Salesman said they had been on the wall 10 months. Off axis response of the tweeter was horrible. I like the cheapest Infinity more and Focal more than that and Focal is both too bright and lacks midbase IMO. Seems like its back to the drawing board. If there is an alternative crossover setting let me know... all 3 pairs of wires were to left, no wires were on right pair of attachments... is that some sort of crossover frequency adjustment? Was it crossed over too low or something? VERY glad I have not ordered the SRs yet unless there was something wrong with the set I heard.

7. Apr 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Abe Froman

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR DCSB 4x4, White
    Of course they'd appear to be 'smoked' by a 75w rms speaker if you A/B them from the same amp. It's not meant to be an efficient speaker. It actually is a reference grade product unlike those infinities that bear the name. But hey, if you like 'em and they'll save you $500 then go for it. The extra terminals on the SR crossovers are for bi-amping. Just my opinion, but with proper amplification, there is absolutely no "lack of clarity" in the upper or midranges. Sorry you didn't like them. Let us know what you settle on.

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    If I was you, I would get the MM6501 components. AMAZING! I have them in my '03 and they sound awesome. Compared to the SR's, not much difference. And they would save you a couple hundred. Powered with a good full range amp will impress any music enthusiast. Just my 2 cents.

9. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    The SR comp sets, are some of my favorites. You would be TRULY happy with a set and I would run a set myself in a heartbeat!

10. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    DevL

Member:
    OK so now I am reconsidering the SR6500 because the EXTEME lack of high frequency output from the tweeter in the SR5250 wont completely apply to the SR6500. I read this little gem...

"The 5250 crossover point is 4100 Hz where the 6500 crossover is 3100"

And that is a HUGE difference in the amount of material that is coming through the tweeter. There was almost nothing coming out that SR5250 tweeter. The lack of efficiency and the fact its a 5.25" mid vs a 6.5" mid could be a major reason the low end was not good too. The overall lack of efficiency and directionality of the tweeter still bugs me though and I am pretty sure the directionality of the tweet is why you found them to be better in the coaxial position with an angled tweet mount vs factory mount location... decisions, decisions.

Other speakers I am considering at this point are Rainbow Germanium 265.25, Focal 165KR, and Dynaudio System 240mkII (last year's 7" component system); however it is near impossible to find these locally to audition. I have only listened to the Focal 165KR so far. I found it VERY detailed, lacking a little low end and a bit harsh on some high notes at loud listeniong levels... other than that it is perfect.

Products Discussed in

To Top