Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Removing scratches from sticks?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Removing scratches from sticks?

So, a few weeks ago, my wife insisted that we go out on our friend's ranch and cut a christmas tree down. We wound up on a narrow, overgrown, rarely used road, and I've got streaks from the overgrown sagebrush all along the length of my truck. What's the best way to get rid of these?

I'm assuming I'll need to get something like the Porter Cable 7424 random orbit polisher and some polishing compound. If anyone has any recommendations on products to use, methods, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Dude - It isn't as bad as you think... They can probably be removed. Recall my thread in Oct: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...-compound.html

I was livid about the scratches.... but they came out after using coleman (low tech man - low tech) buffer and some buffing compound....

Hang in there... It'll be alright!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I certainly expected to happen. I've just always had lighter color vehicles, so it's never been as noticeable as it is on the MGM (last one was a white 4Runner). I've got some light swirl marks too from a towel that I used to dry it off that apparently had some dirt, so I want to get those out too... I don't think it'll be easy to get 'em out by hand, and with a dark colored truck, I'll get plenty of use out of a polisher, so I figure it's worth the investment. Would be interested in hearing what kinda polishes and polishing pads etc. people recommend.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I've scratched mine pretty bad in the past and just used some 3M buffing compound and most of them came right out.

That's what happend to me too, so I asked around & got this stuff. It works really good.....
http://www.midwayautosupply.com%2Fpm...16-oz-12a.aspx