1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Great Support from DSMS

Discussion in 'Downsouth Motorsports' started by Desert Drifter, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Let me tell you about some great support from DownSouth Motorsports. I am just you average Joe who called DownSouth Motorsports a while back to ask about what suspension might best suit my needs (desert trail driving with some rocky stuff and some speed when possible) for my 2012 Tacoma 4x4. Sonny there suggested the ICON extended travel coilovers up front and ICON rear RR shocks plus ICON add a leaf pack for the rear. He offered very reasonable prices and I got the Camburg ubiball UCA for the front as well.

So yesterday a buddy and I decide to tackle the job and discover that the long pivot bolt that the UCA pivots on cannot be removed because it is inline with the sheet metal inner fender. This is Saturday morning and I phoned Camburg, they are closed Saturday. So I call DownSouth, and they are closed saturday too but I left a message that I needed help and please call back. Meanwhile I searched TacomaWorld for help and did not find anything reall helpful in 20-30 minutes, but a Google search did come up with an answer that you have to cut the inner fender a bit, and bend the sheetmetal out and then drive/pull the 10" long pivot bolt out from under the hood. Totota said that to replace the UCA and/or the pivot bolt the proper process is to lift the body off the frame!!

Just as I got into the fender well with a cut-off disc I got a call back from Sonny at Down South Motor Sports, He said yes, this step is a bit involved but a single small cut can allow the bolt to be pulled out, the UCA replaced with the new ones. This was very reassuring and with this tip we got the job done in a few hours.

The instructions with the ICON coil-overs made this task pretty straight forward, same with the Camburg UCA's. We were impressed with the high quality hardware with the Camburg arms, and everything fit well.

But I was truly happy with DSMS and lucky that Sonny had stopped by his shop and taken the time to listen to my message and then call me back on a day he was not there to work. This is the kind of support that goes beyond the value of good prices and fast talk.

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Glad to hear DSM offers great service. :thumbsup:

Often cutting is not required, just a pair of channel-locks wrapped in tape. The spot is hidden by the rubber splashguards once everything is put back together.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/14507-total-chaos-uca-how-install.html
    This thread, by the way, is stickied in the "Suspension" section of TW.

Me? I cut the bolt head in-situ with a small hacksaw - spent maybe extra 40 min per side this way.

3. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    DSM is awesome, they've rebuilt one set of my coilovers and helped me out alot. He's also gonna be rebuilding my new coilovers in a week or so.... Sonny rocks :thumbsup:

4. Oct 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    tacoftw

tacoftw 5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously

Member:
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4
    5100s, camburg arms, toytec AAL, 285s on m/t 17x9
    just called this morning to order my camburg arms! im already liking DSM too!

To Top