Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #2101
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Framing a little deck area at my pond project where I was working on the foot bridge I posted earlier

So was the slab poured with the deck piers built in or are they just sitting on top of it? I have an uneven slab that I want to put a low profile deck over (about 6" over the adjacent sidewalk). I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do the piers for the deck. After seeing your deck, I'm wondering if I can just pour my own piers on top of the carpet near the house (or should I try and take the carpet up).

It was a little putting green (cement slab with a green outdoor carpet on top).

To give you an idea of the slope, the bricks by the shuffleboard are about even with the bottom of the top row of bricks at the little wall by the house.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #2102
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery

Soon I can shit upstairs. How exciting.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #2103
firepilot is on a distinguished road

Name: Phil
firepilot's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes it's the little things...
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #2104
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
So was the slab poured with the deck piers built in or are they just sitting on top of it? I have an uneven slab that I want to put a low profile deck over (about 6" over the adjacent sidewalk). I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do the piers for the deck. After seeing your deck, I'm wondering if I can just pour my own piers on top of the carpet near the house (or should I try and take the carpet up).

It was a little putting green (cement slab with a green outdoor carpet on top).

To give you an idea of the slope, the bricks by the shuffleboard are about even with the bottom of the top row of bricks at the little wall by the house.

The 9 columns are formed and poured on top of a large raft slab footing in my case , they are approx 7" tall
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #2105
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
We're starting on the living room renovation. 1st step is to remove the wallpaper.

The little room in the back used to be a deck but the original owners converted it to a small office space. I got the surface of the wallpaper removed in there (it came out pretty easily). Now I just have to spray down the paper backing and it should come off. The paper in the living room is going to be a pain. The DIF solution doesn't soak in very well so it doesn't release much of the glue. We got one wall done last night.

We are also going to remove the tongue and grove wood from the bottom of the walls and refill it with drywall. It's about 3/4" thick. I started on one wall to see how easy it's going to come off. Not too bad. We're planning on installing a fireplace (either electric or bio-ethanol). I may use the wood from the walls to decorate the fireplace faux chimney.

For this window, We're going to take down the old lady valence and I'm going to try building shutters (3 1/2").

The wife likes this bio ethanol fireplace. I'm going to build a similar platform and wall. I'll probably use the wood on the wall part (laid horizontally).
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-1560451_10200525987112246_302058456_n.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-1560721_10200525986672235_137989147_n.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-1619452_10200525986552232_1027130121_n.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-fireplace.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #2106
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
^ you could also try those " wood plank " porcelain tiles for that application , you would get a similar look but the tile would help store and reflect the heat
Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #2107

Quote:
^ you could also try those " wood plank " porcelain tiles for that application , you would get a similar look but the tile would help store and reflect the heat
I'm not so much concerned with heat (San Diego rarely gets cold). Plus the bio-ethanol fireplaces are more for looks than heat and the fact that they're ventless. I think they burn cooler than a wood fireplace.

I don't really care for the porcelain wood-look tiles. It looks fake to me. Our other option was recycled granite done like stacked stone. Since we already have the wood, that'll be our first option if the wife likes it enough.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #2108

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
No issue with clearances to combustibles with those units I take it
Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #2109

Quote:
No issue with clearances to combustibles with those units I take it
As long as it's mounted on a non-flammable surface, I think it should be fine. I wouldn't mount it to the wood. I'll double check clearances.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #2110
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
trying to discern from the pic, ...does that fireplace sit proud of the wall it's mounted on?
...if so, i'd tend to think that just a solid color wall behind it would like pretty good (i.e. just like the pic)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
trying to discern from the pic, ...does that fireplace sit proud of the wall it's mounted on?
...if so, i'd tend to think that just a solid color wall behind it would like pretty good (i.e. just like the pic)
Yes they sit proud of the wall. The front of it is actually flat (it looks curved to me). I think the front is about 4-6" away from the wall.

They actually don't recommend inserting it into a wall. I imagine a brick one or an alcove lined with something fire resistant would be fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #2112

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
They look a bit like a TV on the wall
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #2113
Jesus thinks you suck too
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
Frkypunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They really do nothing for me...seems better placed in a apartment in Manhattan. My wife would probably love it though.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #2115
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i was thinking the same thing... a flat panel tv, ...and i think you could find a DVD vid that portrays flickering flames (fireplace ambiance)...
Old 01-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #2116

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i was thinking the same thing... a flat panel tv, ...and i think you could find a DVD vid that portrays flickering flames (fireplace ambiance)...

I have a blu ray like that , and an aquarium one
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #2117

Quote:
I've seen an electric fireplace heater that uses an LCD screen and a video of fire. I thought, why not just buy a tv and run a dvd when you want fire. At least you could use the TV for something other than a fireplace.

The electric fireplaces that intrigued me were the ones that use water vapor to simulate a flame. The Dimplex Opti-Mist is one. This is another though I couldn't find anyone that sells it. I'd want to see them in person. A lot of electric fireplaces looked good in videos but looked too fake in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJzSa46UqzE
Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #2118

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I've seen an electric fireplace heater that uses an LCD screen and a video of fire. I thought, why not just buy a tv and run a dvd when you want fire. At least you could use the TV for something other than a fireplace.

The electric fireplaces that intrigued me were the ones that use water vapor to simulate a flame. The Dimplex Opti-Mist is one. This is another though I couldn't find anyone that sells it. I'd want to see them in person. A lot of electric fireplaces looked good in videos but looked too fake in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJzSa46UqzE
wow, that's impressive.... of course none of these will provide any warmth in the physical sense...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #2119

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wow, that's impressive.... of course none of these will provide any warmth in the physical sense...

Electric heaters produce heat
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #2120

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Electric heaters produce heat
oh, i follow ya... the conventional ones i suppose do, ...i was assuming that opti-myst model is completely effects though...

Products Discussed in this Thread