1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

F**k...!!!! Detailer scratched my truck

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by drewskie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    So, for the first time ever, I had my truck detailed and it looks awesome, nice and shiny. most of little scratches are gone, but of course........on the bedside right above the flare theres a 3 inch or so, deep as a mofo brand new scratch. I think he hit it with the polisher somehow. It's so deep my findernail gets stuck if I run it over the scratch. The thing is, I know the guy and he gave me a good deal. Also, he left without saying anything, probably hoping I wouldnt notice. :(
    I'm seriously sick about it. I'm obviously going to call him on it, but what good will it do? He can't fix it, and I it's not like I wan to get the whole bedside painted.
    I need suggestions, please. Should I just touch it up and try to forget about it? Since my truck is BSP, it's white and down to the metal, will it fade over time and be less noticeable? Thanks guys.
    p.s. no pics because I am too pissed off to go look at it again. Out of sight out of mind (kinda).

2. Aug 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i would bring it there and see what they can do

3. Aug 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    Tacolover443

Tacolover443 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Haverford, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR DCSB BSP
    Satoshi, color match grill, 2 Hella 500ff's, rear TSB, yellow "Taco", OEM all-weather floor mats, OEM TRD seat covers, Ultra-Gauge, bed linered rear bumper, Plasti-dipped rims, DuraTrac's,
    Is it down to the primer or no? If it's down to the primer forget about it but I bet if it's not they can at least make it a little less noticeable.

4. Aug 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
  5. Aug 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I'd just have him get it fixed. make a deal to have him pay the repair bill. any half decent business man will make it right..

6. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    drewskie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I think it would be more trouble than the scratch is worth. But I will call him.
    If it's not down the primer, which I think it's even past it, how can I make it not stand out so much? Just touch up paint?
    Thanks for the responses.

7. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    This won't end well. You know this guy, right? He left without saying anything, and you noticed this right after he left? If so, this leaves only two possible conclusions: First, he did it and didn't realize he had, which means for a "detailer," he has shitty attention to detail. Or two, he did it, realized his mistake, and chose to remain quiet, which should tell you a lot about this guy's integrity and professionalism.

If you confront him, even calmly, he will probably deny it and it will escalate from there. He will go into defensive mode because I hardly believe he would admit it having just walked away without saying a word. If he has shitty integrity, he'll just deny it until you go away. If you're lucky, he'll still admit he did nothing and offer to touch it up the best he can because he's "being nice." I don't think I'd count on that.

Wish you the best of luck but you may be SOL. May want to check your local Craigslist for someone who does scratch repair. Or maybe even your dealership as they will likely have someone they call to touch up new and used cars. One scratch can't be too much $.

Just my $.02 ... Good luck.

8. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Most dealers have "air brush guys" that visit their car lots once a week and do minor paint touch ups.

I saw these "air brush guys" at a Lexus dealer and they lightly sand, prime, paint and clear coat & do a final polish on small areas in about 2 hours. And a small scratch like that should cost around $100.00.

I think the name of the company was True Colors ... but you can check with any medium to high end car dealer in your area (who they use).

PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) guys in Atlanta even do this type of "light paint blending" now.

Good luck and you can get this fixed and will never notice it again. Get the detailer to pick up the tab if possible.

9. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    CUtigerfan

CUtigerfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Daystar 1.5" coil spacers, bedlined bumpers, clear corners, aftermarket stereo, 20% tint, half debadged
    x2
    My dad knows a guy that retired and goes around to dealerships doing that now. Now that I think about it there are a few spots on mine I would like to have done... might call for a quote tomorrow. But you should be able to get that taken care of for alot less than having the bedside repainted

10. Aug 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    drewskie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Thanks for the very thorough answer. This is exactly what I was thinking as well. There's no way he didn't know he did, especially seeing as the entire truck clean now, and there were almost zero blemishes before. I have a felling he will deny it too.
    It seems rather petty, but it is really deep, and now that the rest of the truck is clean, polished, sparkly, it just really bothers me. I don't think I would even want him to attempt a touch up, it may come out worse. I will probably just have to get the lil paint pen from Autozone and try that, or those spot painters you guys mentioned may be worth a call.

Products Discussed in

To Top