1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firearm BS thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Konaborne, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Thanks for the all the info! The class I'm taking is instructed by retired military and LEO's. I figured with the rubber target you could still see where you hit before it closes up but I'll still pick up some paper targets as well then. As for the dummy rounds to work on malfunctions, I didn't think of that, thanks!

2. Apr 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you can kind of see where your shots go on those self healing targets, but for the novice i'd highly recommend paper targets...and probably add shoot n c stick on targets...they make seeing where your shots hit much easier and allows you to adjust on the fly mid mag

3. Apr 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    100 pack of 7" glowshot targets on Amazon for $25. If you're shooting at a color target inside of 5yd you don't need them, but for me the only public range is a 15yd so the color change targets really help

4. Apr 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    Saw a stainless glock 23 gen 4 at a gun show today. Didn't even know they had stainless Glock's, now I'm trying to talk myself out of going back to get it tomorrow

5. Apr 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    ^^^I polished the slide on a worn 2nd gen G19 to a mirror finish a couple years ago. I had planned to eventually have it Cerakoted, but it's became an experiment to see if it'll rust. I think it's safe to say it won't rust.
    http://[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  6. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Anyone carry (hunting, CCW, work, ECT..) cross draw?
    It's surprisingly comfortable and fast for me (glock 19 in a blackhawk serpa holster)

7. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    No. I like to be able to put shots on target as soon as I 'clear leather' in case I have to. You should train so that you first motion is to clear your holster and point upwards towards your target. This way if your attacker is on top of you (you'd be amazed how fast an adult can close distance) you can hip fire with good enough accuracy to have an effect on target. Your next motion will bring your firearm up to your chest to meet your support hand and then punch straight out towards your target. At any point you can fire on target if need be with progressively more accuracy through the motion. It's efficient and no motion is wasted movement. To me cross draw isn't natural and there's too much wasted motion and too long until you can put shots on target if you need to. That's just me. Some people try to over think things. With firearms simple is better.

8. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner

I'll definitely look into these. Thanks again everyone! I went to the store here that offers leo and military discounts. The S&W 380 they sale is the model with the laser sight...is it really worth the extra money? I mean, honestly, how much use would you really get out of it? I'm fine with just the normal iron sight. But if it's only like 20-30 more would you opt for the laser sight?

9. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    nope

only feasible way for me is open carry or appendix IWB and appendix is a real uncomfortable way to carry if you have to sit down

I'll stick to my normal carry position for muscle memory since it's almost the same spot as my duty weapon...just under a shirt

10. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    also a good reason for my hip

had a bodyguard 380...traded it for an LCP...only reason I ever turned the laser on was to try it out or show it to someone who was thinking about buying the same gun

i have little to no interest in laser sights because my carry guns are either point shoot or flash sight...i don't have time to be worry about turning on a laser and then trying to figure out if it's on the target and then pulling the trigger

as mentioned above re: carry preferences...you should be aiming as soon as you break leather...and possibly firing

i'd lose a lot of time trying to fiddle with a fine motor skill of finding the little button and switching the laser on

if it turns out the s&w is the right fit then great...but don't buy it based on the laser

11. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    to add...if you are in your house in the dark, and something goes bump in the night...and you put the laser on...you've now given up one of your many tactical advantages and let the bad guy know where you are...i'm not willing to do that

at least with a flashlight, I can hold it out away from my body and not give the bad guy a direct target

12. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Interesting. I wasn't too concerned with the laser sight to begin with. They said they can get it in without it. I do like the LCP too. And like you said, my only concern is the ease of unholstering, pointing, and shooting. Just something to get the job done if it should ever arise (god forbid it never does).

13. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    What I do is have led night lights plugged in in the room adjacent to the 2 bedrooms. This way that room is lit enough to know where/what is moving, and since there are multiple rooms with doors attached to the lit room, the intruder doesn't know where I am.

14. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    I'm amazed with how many people put so much weight in lasers on carry weapons. I use them as a training aid to practice trigger control by dry firing on target and trying to keep the laser as still as possible but it's not something I look to add to my carry weapons. I have the Crimson Trace on my BUG because it's a pressure switch on the grip that basically illuminates as soon as I draw it but that's because the sights are poop & w/o illumination they can be difficult to pick up in high-stress situations. That being said, if that sucker comes out it's likely the distances involved won't require sights or lasers. Otherwise I don't equip carry weapons with lasers and the only ones I own are for training purposes.

15. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    You may have to diagram that. lol

Bottom line is if someone comes into MY house I've got a strategic advantage and I'm not looking to give that up with racking a shotgun, lasers, lights, noise, anything. It's MY house and a burglar just walked into an ambush and a world of hurt and I want to keep the odds on my side.

16. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    it's ok to say you have nightlights because you're scared of the dark

17. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    :thumbsup:

Lasers are a good indicator for flinching etc during dry fire drills...but an empty case balanced on the slide can do the same thing for a lot cheaper

18. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I also like to go for a short run before running any drills...good way to get the heart rate up and simulate adrenaline rush

19. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen are all off of the dining room in the place I rent. Light is on in the dining room but you can't see into any other room, whereas the dining room ilit enough from the bedrooms.

No need for lights/lasers as the intruder would already be lit up without me having to shine one on them.

20. Apr 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Eh, it was more for the dog when he was a puppy to see that the things moving in the room were the cats and that he didn't have to bark at them at 3am.

He's moved on to barking at other things now.

Products Discussed in

To Top