Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Need light information, what is best off road lights?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
jphilipj is on a distinguished road
jphilipj's Tacoma Gallery
Need light information, what is best off road lights?

OK, getting ready for my 2012 DC 4x4 ..I am going to install a 3 tab Crossfab light bar.

I have no idea what the best lights to run are. I want max light with lowest amp draw.

I assume i have to run some sort of aux relays etc..any place with a tutorial on what is needed, best etc..don't want to cut corners.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I can say that I wanted bright lights but didn't want to pay for high end HIDs and didn't trust Kragens to last. I got a pair of KC daylighters. They look good, but their light is really yellow - much more than my headlights. Their throw is amazing though - I can light up signs and treelines much further than my factory high beams. I can't really recommend them as a great option since I don't love the yellow output, but they're good quality for the $160 I paid, and highly functional. I guess this is more of a "this is what KC daylighters are like" reply than a recommendation. Hope it helps.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
Get three lights (your choice of size: hella 500,700 etc) and buy two 100w hid kits so you will end up having a spare bulb and ballast. That should be more light than you could ever imagine! Or spend major money on a quality led light bar (42" or so should be 15-20k lumens)
Another great idea is to search youtube for light outputs for example search "3 100w hid lights" or "42" led light bar" and compare them that way! Im in the process of doing the same thing but behind my grill and i am going with three 100w hid kits and it should be insane
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Imagine that you happen to set of lightforces haha kidding.....ive def heard good things about them they would be a nice light to convert to hid!!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
If you want max light and lowest amp draw get a LED Light bar or LED Lights. GT lighting is having a Group Buy for them now.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...13-2012-a.html
I have the 22" LED Bar and it is crazy bright for flood beam pattern.
If you want the brightest, go HID.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
im doing a set of hellas converted to 6000k hid.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
LIGHTFORCE!

I'm also interested in the light bars TRS guys are selling, I don't know a ton about them yet but I do trust the guys at TRS.

So my biased vote would be in favor of retrofit and light bar from TRS and for you and your situation LightForce lights for your bar because, well just watch a few videos of theirs and tell me you don't want them
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Maximum light eh?

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-18802.html
Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
"Best" is pretty subjective................u don't hear much negative about lightforce, and their torture testing is impressive.
^^This...

Best is way too broad. It depends on what your usage will be. Amp for amp, the max light for the lowest draw will be LED and they will be expensive! Brightest will be HID or a high end halogen but again, it comes down to usage. If you are going to run them on the road, where they will be turned off and on with your high beams, you won't want HID's because the ballasts don't like to be toggled like that. HID's like to be turned on and kept on. LED's put out a ton of light and have extremely low draw. The LED light bars can be mixed with spot and flood pattern LED's also so you can get a good mix of lighting. Halogens will be relatively inexpensive but you'll have to go with a higher end lamp if you want good light output and might have to mix spot and fog pattern lights to get the overall light pattern you desire.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
3 Scorpion LED floods = 35316 lumens. Done.

If you consider Rigid lightbars only get the Specter series. They currently only come in 6" and 10" sizes. Also available as Dually D2 and in the SRM2 lights. No big light bars available yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
3 Scorpion LED floods = 35316 lumens. Done.
but how much is that? LED's are expensive as hell
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I like my hella 500 black magic's, I have two, not crazy bright, but they light up a country road better than the factory high-beams.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
Nahh only about $500 EACH hahaha
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
here are my 2 KC daylighters, there obviously the long range beam pattern. my garage is about 100 ft away from where my truck was

these are my 35w HID headlights.

but if you want most light output with lowest power then HID is your best option. here is a thread where you can get some ideas http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ur-lights.html
Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
The question was not "What are the cheapest lights I an put on my truck?"

The brightest, most efficient, smallest lights are the Scorpion 5" LED floods. After that 100W HID, especially if you want throw. No halogen is even in the mix. After that you are looking at 50-75W HID and various long lightbars.

WAY, WAY, way down the list comes 35 watt HID and 70-100W halogen.

At the bottm of the list comes 55 watt halogen.

Price Lightforce 240 Blitz HID.
Price a 40" Rigid Industries or Baja Designs lightbar bar.

The Scorpion does not sound so bad now does it?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #19

Those little monsters are beasts i would live to get a set of those to replace my fogs so i can blind people than flash me
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmcinty View Post
Those little monsters are beasts i would live to get a set of those to replace my fogs so i can blind people than flash me
That's intelligent... let's blind the driver in the car speeding directly at me

If your lights are properly aimed, no one would flash you to begin with...