Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Easiest Way to disable DRL on 2009 Taco?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Edmund BateTruck is on a distinguished road
Edmund BateTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Easiest Way to disable DRL on 2009 Taco?

Hi everyone, I have 2009 standard Taco, no extras. Daytime running lights are driving me nuts, what's the easiest way to disable them? Is it possible to disconnect/disable them without losing my front turn signals (mechanic said it was impossible since DRL connected to front turn signal lights). I'd appreciate easy instructions/schematics I could show to my mechanic. I have some shop experience, but haven't done much with electrical stuff in a while. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Yes, I did search this topic under the search function and there was no info I could find for a 2009 taco. thanks.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Edit: Read warpwr's post below. This is a much better way. Just add a switch.

Plus if you remove the DTRL relay and jumper you have to buy a different relay (from the dealer) without DTRL. If you just add a switch to the red/green wire it will only cost you $2 at radio shack.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^yeap^^^^
Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming you mean the park/turn ambers on as DRLs then...

If you read the DRL mod thread....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...stall-oem.html

.... you will find that there is a green wire with a red stripe that can be cut in two and wired through a switch.
Then you can turn them on or off, which is what I do using a stock fog light switch in an empty slot.
It looks factory stock and you have the option of using them or not using them.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Toyo_Jet is on a distinguished road

Name: Shane
Toyo_Jet's Tacoma Gallery
The DRL's don't bother me too much, but I would like to figure out how to make them come on with the headlights and still blink as the turn signals.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo_Jet View Post
The DRL's don't bother me too much, but I would like to figure out how to make them come on with the headlights and still blink as the turn signals.
I might have missed something here, but I think the turn signals are outside the headlights and the DRLs are the same as the flashers...on the inside of the headlights....

or....am I all hosed up???
Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
Assuming you mean the park/turn ambers on as DRLs then...

If you read the DRL mod thread....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...stall-oem.html

.... you will find that there is a green wire with a red stripe that can be cut in two and wired through a switch.
Then you can turn them on or off, which is what I do using a stock fog light switch in an empty slot.
It looks factory stock and you have the option of using them or not using them.
Thanks very much for this. I will talk to my mechanic and see about this. My truck's fairly new and I don't want to void the warranty, so it might have to wait till I hit the 60,000 mile mark, but I appreciate the advice all the same.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ham View Post
you should keep them. Ya never know but it could save your life.
How?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
sweetbaboo is on a distinguished road
sweetbaboo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund BateTruck View Post
How?
I'd like to know as well. I used to have DRL on my previous vehicle (WRX) but don't anymore on my 2010 Taco and feel strange without it.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Fro05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Froilan
Fro05's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know the part number for the bulb of the daytime running lights? want to change from amber to white...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
its the standard signal bulb....3157. but remember the lense is tinted yellow, so your not going to get a white light adn it will be harder to see during hte day as well...basically not a good idea all around!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
Fro05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Froilan
Fro05's Tacoma Gallery
ohh ok thanks yosh! There are a couple tacomas here running white daytime running lights, and they don't look bad at all...I just hope that they won't burn the housing of the lights if I do change em out
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
hmm, so for some reason I never thought of this before, but I installed a switch to turn off the DRL.

I could instead just pull out the relay and jumper and use the 8-pin relay instead, right? Then I could go LED w/o resistors...

why didn't I think of this before?