Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

? about stock yellow driving lights

Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
? about stock yellow driving lights

I've had my truck for two years now, bought it with 7k miles on the odometer. My truck has never had the yellow driving (or parking, not sure what they are) lights that I see on other Tacomas all the time. Were some Tacos wired differently than others, or did the original owner of mine do some wiring of his own?

I'll have to check for sure, but it seems to me that my yellow rectangular lights function as turn signals. I'll check in the morning.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about these?

I think they're either parking lights or daytime running lights or both.

Some trucks - and I'm not sure which - have daytime running lights that stay on all the time. Others don't have that. Depends on the area you live in (I think).

I have an 07 and they're not daytime running lights but I think they're parking lights on my truck.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
here is the cheap DIY of how to install them.....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...stall-oem.html
Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you talking about these?

I think they're either parking lights or daytime running lights or both.

Some trucks - and I'm not sure which - have daytime running lights that stay on all the time. Others don't have that. Depends on the area you live in (I think).

I have an 07 and they're not daytime running lights but I think they're parking lights on my truck.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about.

I just went and took a look at how my lights function. My "Parking" lights are the yellow bulbs on the outside top of each headlight. My turn signals are the yellow rectangular lights that I see lit up in your picture. Something must be wired differently...

Which lights function as your turn signals on that setup?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Cracker in a Taco
KnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really nice
Marines: 1st MarDiv
KnurledNut's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco has the DRL option. The amber are always on and blink when actuated for turning.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are the same as above.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjohn View Post
Mine are the same as above.
Same.

My truck was factory stock from 2005 when I purchased it, and noticed that right off the bat.

The inside ones are turn signals and the outer ones are parking lights.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the relay for my DTRL's. My truck didnt have them originally.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
yea, if you want to add this, its a relay and harness, about $50 from trdparts4u.com. they have a package that includes all you need...check out the site...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about.

I just went and took a look at how my lights function. My "Parking" lights are the yellow bulbs on the outside top of each headlight. My turn signals are the yellow rectangular lights that I see lit up in your picture. Something must be wired differently...
That's how all the trucks work that do not have the Daytime Running Light (DRL) option. Nothing is wrong with your truck.

If you want the DRLs you can get a relay and jumper and install them yourself like others already mentioned.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great, I'll try to find the kit and order it up.

I looked earlier today, but couldn't locate it. If anyone has a link, please shoot it to me. In the meantime, I'll go back to looking for it...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
well, I found the single parts, but I can't seem to locate the $45 kit that is discussed within the DIY link above.

Any chance that "kit" is still available?