1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thanks TacomaWorld

Discussion in 'New Members' started by AnotherTaco, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    AnotherTaco

AnotherTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    yes please
    New Member Intro--first post.

I Had a Tan 2000 ManualT 4x4 2.7/4-cyl Xtra-Cab Sr5 that just died from frame rust, but she otherwise served me SO well for @163000 miles--all trouble free, and all original except tires/batteries/rear bumper!
    Then, over the frame rust issue I fought with dealer a bit but Toyota bought it back for a good penny. She lived in the desert with me from 2006-2012, but the salt damage started bad from 2000-2005 and finished poorly in 2013 when we moved back to Maine, and 1 year later the frame perforated and failed inspection. It was a bittersweet discovery, but expected. Safety 1st, right?
    RIP old Tacoma, she was my favorite ride and we did so much together, lol.

So, now I'm a proud owner of a Pyrite-Mica 2014 AutoT V6/4.0 4x4 DCSB TRD/OR. So amazed and distracted by all the gen1 to gen2 changes!
    No more locking hubs, no more manual 4WD knob, electric EVERYTHING from windows to cameras... the new size, wow. Getting used to auto V6, and liking it. So does the wife, which is why we went 4 door and auto; SO happy i'm not regretting it, and actually enjoying the gearing and traction controls.
    First mod was to strip the rugged fails, and put on 235/85/16 bfg at/kos. Next was to debadge all that chrome labeling, the gaudy TRD stickers, and the mud flaps that get in the way.
    Now I'm gonna buy a bracket from BullaCulla to relocate the 7-pin harness so i don't drag it off in the dirt or snap it in a snow bank.
    Eventually I want to get a plate rear bumper and add a hidden hitch mount to the front--probably CBI for both--to run a portable winch for front or rear.
    I would love to add more light for reversing, maybe fogs hidden in a new bumper when the time comes, and maybe welded sliders as a distant mod.

Overall, the truck drives great! Smooth on highway, 3,4, D all have their range use, she jumps and brakes well, and 4WD has been really helpful lately with all the snow and ice. I ran through all the 4hi and 4lo goodies to get a feel for driving quirks and sounds, and the locker is FUN. Wish i had this new truck back in the desert mesas and rocky mountains!
    Overall, very happy with her and hope to get another 15+ years from my new Taco back east and take some trips back west.

Now... with my rust history, I MUST wash the frame and undercarraige often when it warms, and i'm gonna research frame coatings... which is why i joined this community to begin with, but like most other good online communities, Tacoma World is becoming another moneypit to me to get stuck in (with my overland/expedition build dreams).

Thanks everybody, and happy new year!

old taco.jpg
    new tacoma.jpg

2. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Nice. Welcome!

3. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
  4. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Aerial Tacoma

Aerial Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    Kodiak Ak
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Catback, Original HomerTaco Raptor Grill, TRD Trail Teams "Black", Duratrac 265/75/16, ALL PRO apex rear bumper, Retrofits W/ BHLM halos and deamon eyes
  5. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    Nice story and welcome. Check out the Death Valley site so you know what you are missing :D.

6. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Good choice! Sounds like you have some serious plans for the taco. I would start a build thread early. I planned on staying stock, so I started my build pretty late.
    Now start taking more pics! :D

7. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    welcome.

8. Jan 7, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    Rust: once it gets warm wash the underside, and buy 2 cans of fluid film. Spray 1.5 on in spring, and use the rest for touch-ups in the fall and you should be good for a year, plus I think since toyota had those frame rust issues in the past they must have done something to prevent or slow it down in the newer models.

I have a 2014 myself and coated it before the snow, salt, ice season

9. Jan 7, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    AnotherTaco

AnotherTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    yes please
    Thanks to all!
    I try not to think about leaving the west behind to return east, but the grass is indeed greener out here, which helps...
    Gonna take it slow with mods, I hope, due to other life matters.
    Rust: yeah, I had hoped to do the fluid film spray before winter hit, but this has been some wet and cold December up here, and I got caught too late! We'll see how it goes.
    I'll stay vigilant on the rinses, and try the coating come spring...

10. Jan 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    ME OFF Rd

ME OFF Rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road Edition
    - Digital Fit WeatherTechs - OME 885x Coils w/ Bilstein 5100's @ 0" - Rear Bilstein 5100's with ToyTec 2" AAL
  11. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Products Discussed in