Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

trails in virginia???

Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #21
Ross Dence is on a distinguished road

Ross Dence's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Washington, DC. There are a couple of trails in George Washington National Forest (in VA) that you can get to in about 2 hours from DC. You can camp there as well. We did the Taskers Gap Mill Run last May. You have to stop off at a gas station, pay 5-7 bucks for a day pass to use the trail. It is approximately 7 miles long. See link below for instructions:

http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...a&pname=George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - Taskers Gap & Peters Mill Run OHV Trail Complex

Also, try this link:

http://www.off-road.com/trails-event...ils-14969.html
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
'10 DC TRD SPORT 6SPD
JBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: JEREMY
JBarbaresi's Tacoma Gallery
i found this trail area today and since I was in a work car i walked about half a mile up to check it out. the pics don't really give a sense of the fairly steep grade, but it seems like a solid place to go offroad. if we end up doing my AAL fix in stafford this is only about 15 minutes from where I live. if anyone else is interested in exploring it with me you're welcome to come by. i've got another place i'm gonna check out with the truck on my way home from work today.
Attached Thumbnails
trails in virginia???-downsized_0811001332.jpg   trails in virginia???-downsized_0811001333.jpg   trails in virginia???-downsized_0811001333a.jpg   trails in virginia???-downsized_0811001334.jpg   trails in virginia???-downsized_0811001336.jpg  

trails in virginia???-downsized_0811001335.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarbaresi View Post
hey i've got a hot lead for some trails in woodbridge, maybe one of you woodbridge guys can run by and check it out.

Take VA-234 (Dumfries Rd) towards Manassas. Turn right on waterway. Turn right on Cardinal Dr. Go about 1.5 miles and on the right hand side you will see a big hill with visible tire tracks heading into the woods.

Let me know if its any good.
I wouldnt go there in Montclair. I live literally 3 minutes from that sub division and the MPOA are all straight up assholes, forgive my language. I might drive by and see what it looks like but I am not a fan of doing anything in Montclair

Quote:
i found this trail area today and since I was in a work car i walked about half a mile up to check it out. the pics don't really give a sense of the fairly steep grade, but it seems like a solid place to go offroad. if we end up doing my AAL fix in stafford this is only about 15 minutes from where I live. if anyone else is interested in exploring it with me you're welcome to come by. i've got another place i'm gonna check out with the truck on my way home from work today.
When are you going to check it out? im leavin saturday to go back to school but if it is before then i reckon i can go explore it with you. and where is this area you wanna check out after work? depending on where it is i wouldnt be against exploring it
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
'10 DC TRD SPORT 6SPD
JBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant futureJBarbaresi has a brilliant future

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
I wouldnt go there in Montclair. I live literally 3 minutes from that sub division and the MPOA are all straight up assholes, forgive my language. I might drive by and see what it looks like but I am not a fan of doing anything in Montclair

When are you going to check it out? im leavin saturday to go back to school but if it is before then i reckon i can go explore it with you. and where is this area you wanna check out after work? depending on where it is i wouldnt be against exploring it
i will be in springfield all day tomorrow and solomons island all day friday so unfortunately i wouldn't be able to meet up with you before saturday. the place i'm gonna check out today is right off 95 at exit 140, probably about half a mile from the exit. i drove past it yesterday and it looks like a washed out dirt road/access trail. no signs posted for private property or no trespassing, and looking at google earth there are plenty more trails that branch off of it. i'll have my son with me so if it gets too crazy i'll be turning around but you're more than welcome to come by if you want and see if its worth while.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i reckon i could make it there. i gonna shoot ya a pm real quick
Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
'10 DC TRD SPORT 6SPD

Army:
well my 1100 mile tacoma is no longer a virgin, its now officially a dirty nasty off-road slut. thanks to takern for making the trip down and exploring the trails near my home with me. it was fun, but none of the trails we rode down had connections and they all dead-ended, making for very interesting turn-arounds in narrow areas. lots of mud holes and plenty of obstacles and ruts to maneuver around. i had my 2 year old son in the back and he loved it.

we wheeled for about an hour, hitting most of the more established trails but like i said they all dead ended eventually. i'll probably go back at some point and try to see if any of the smaller trails are driveable and just to have some fun since its only about a mile from where i live. i wouldn't say its worth travelling a far distance for, but anyone else who is near the Stafford area and wants to check it out pm me for directions.

next week i'll be going to the trails that are also in stafford but a little further away from my home. they looked like a lot of fun. i'll update this thread and try to get some pics if i can. thanks again takern.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #27
wvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud of

Name: Dennis
wvmountaintop's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #28
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
make sure if yall are free on the 28th to come out to shoecreek
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...-aug-28-a.html
Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #29
wvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud of

Name: Dennis
wvmountaintop's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run the trails outside of Harrisonburg in the Geo. Wash Nat. For. and they are good trail rides. Nothing too difficult for a stocker... Very scenic though and good remote camping spots up in the higher elevations. I used to run the trails off Rt. 234 and Cardinal Dr back in the 1980's with my ATV but haven't been there in decades... didn't think those trails were still open. My lift is going on this week and I will be ready to head out to the GWNF trails again soon...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #30
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey i've got a hot lead for some trails in woodbridge, maybe one of you woodbridge guys can run by and check it out.

Take VA-234 (Dumfries Rd) towards Manassas. Turn right on waterway. Turn right on Cardinal Dr. Go about 1.5 miles and on the right hand side you will see a big hill with visible tire tracks heading into the woods.

Let me know if its any good.
Called one of my buddies that lives off Neabsco Overlook along the trail you were talking about says only motorcyclists and the occasional ATV hit that trail. He has lived there for over 5 years and has never heard a truck go back through there....
Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #31

takern's Tacoma Gallery
I went and took a look at the trail off cardinal today and it looks mighty tight to get a truck through there. probably would be a blast on a 4 wheeler though
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #33
igor79 is on a distinguished road
Name: igor
igor79's Tacoma Gallery
George Washington National Forest, VA
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #35
Charlee521 is a jewel in the roughCharlee521 is a jewel in the roughCharlee521 is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Name: Charles
Charlee521's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Virginia Beach, let me know when you find a place nearby and want to go. I'd love to tag along and have another truck with me.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee521 View Post
I live in Virginia Beach, let me know when you find a place nearby and want to go. I'd love to tag along and have another truck with me.
Come check in here Va

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...ater-area.html

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #37
tensorkev06 is on a distinguished road
tensorkev06's Tacoma Gallery
i have honestly been in these trails within the last couple of months. the trails are fine to go back there, i wouldnt use the entrance on cardinal drive though, unless you want cops showing up. another way to get in the cardinal trails is through merrily way, one of the streets prior to pulling up to the big mound off on the side of the road. if you go down that road, you will see "end state maintenance". take that little access road and it will run you right into some of the nastiest lookin mud holes. those trails have been back there for 20+ years and people still go back there almost everyday.

cardinal drive and merrily way. woodbridge va

strongly recommend that you have some nice sized mud tires with a bit of a lift, you WILL get stuck back there if you hit a hole the wrong way.... thats what she said
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
This is an old thread, but if anyone else has any good NoVa trails, it would be great if you posted them.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #39
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
This is an old thread, but if anyone else has any good NoVa trails, it would be great if you posted them.
I haven't had one bit of luck with anything public that is more than a dirt road in nova. only good stuff is on private land. i've wheeled on some friend's farms, but it's more just mud and downed trees than anything.

to get to good stuff, you'll have to drive to GW national forest (VA), the cove (VA), Crozet (VA), or Rausch creek (PA).

there is a new area opening in PA (don't know when), relatively close to rausch creek, that is said to have more acreage than rausch creek, but they are keeping info on it pretty quiet for now, and I assume until they actually open.

so regardess, it's pretty much a 2 hour drive to anywhere good from NoVa
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #40
tensorkev06 is on a distinguished road
tensorkev06's Tacoma Gallery
There are some pretty serious trails in Woodbridge va. Email me if you wanna know about them. Tensorkev06@gmail.com