Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

question....Y-pipe or long tube headers

Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NtacomaR View Post
but if i were to just do shortys itll be a noticeable gain?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ader-dyno.html

Talk to someone like Torspd and do some searching on XRU. The guys over there have done a lot more to their truck's performance-wise than you'll see on here. That link I posted has short tube and long tube dyno charts side by side.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
NtacomaR is on a distinguished road

Name: nick
NtacomaR's Tacoma Gallery
thanks. that changes my decision...im going with shortys...now one more question, will i need to get the URD maf calibrator? or will just welding the shortys in be fine?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks. that changes my decision...im going with shortys...now one more question, will i need to get the URD maf calibrator? or will just welding the shortys in be fine?
You shouldn't need the MAF calibrator for any of your options. That's for the intake (it can help with aftermarket setups but only in open loop operation but it's not required). I think you're thinking of the O2 simulator and you shouldn't need those since your cats are staying in place. The shorties should have the bungs welded in place for the sensors.

Just so you know, there was a company who offered stainless steel shorties at a really good price. I'll try to find the link.

Edit: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ll-header.html
Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #24

ok thanks for the help man i do appreciate the graph...that def made my mind up. I got my intake coming in like 3 days, so ill be excited to install the headers here in the near future
Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok so i decided to go with the Y-Pipe. Because the o2 sensors only monitor the front Cats near the headers. So the Cats connected to the Y-pipe basically arent doing much haha...so with a CAI, URD Y-Pipe, and TRD exhuast should i yield some good performance???
Interestingly, I was underneath and '11 yesterday, messing with the driveshaft. I decided to take a good look at the catback. They have improved greatly over the earlier models. Not sure exactly when, but the catback used to be 2.25" diameter. On that guy's '11, it was 2.5" all mandrel bent, and very nice. If the is a restriction in it, it is strictly due to the muffler.

So to upgrade your catback to a TRD one, unless you just really want to, I would only change the muffler, to alter the sound to your liking.

The factory y-pipe however, had not changed, and was still the same restrictive design.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #26

ok good info. thanks man. yea i have the TRD cat back on it now...but i def want to change the TRD muffler to a magnaflow or something a littler more "mean" sounding...but yea im going to do the shorty headers then if i want a little extra "umph" im going to upgrade the Y-pipe. and then thatll probably be all ill be doing to it performance wise...i really wanna get it professionally tuned though also. but i heard the Price vs Power Gains isnt worth it
Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #28

shoot. ok, yea i was going to talk to the shop that is going to dyno my b4 and after results from the airaid CAI, if they could tune it...but if its that pricey then ill most likely wait ha...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #30

how hard are those to install? and does URD tune it to my Mods?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #32
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
URD sends it pre-loaded with a basic map for your mods. Then you can choose to leave it be, or fine tune it yourself.

The instructions are pretty clear. Just takes some wiring. But you need to make sure that urd has the instructions for the '12+ models.
I went into this in your other thread as well, butI highly recommend the maf cal. I also highly recommend headers and an intake to go with the maf cal. I had my custom catback and intake on for almost a year and saw some, but minimal gains. Once I put on the LT headers and the maf cal, i saw a huge improvement.

If I had to saw, the LT headers gave me the most gain. No low end loss. Believe me I would notice it around here with constant hills and curves, usually at the same time. I hold my speed much better now with the headers.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #34
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Good words TacomaGus. :top:

I met a guy member Thursday who said he had before and after dynos of just the maf cal. Said he gained 15 whp and something wtq. His name is TX SR5. Just haven't gotten those dyno graphs yet.
that would be a great addition!