Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

question....Y-pipe or long tube headers

Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
NtacomaR is on a distinguished road

Name: nick
NtacomaR's Tacoma Gallery
Question question....Y-pipe or long tube headers

2012 tacoma baja edition. would a y-pipe or long tube headers from URD, which would yield better HP and Torque. i want to keep at least two of my Catalytic Converters...anyone have any pointers?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Long tubes delete the front cats and a y pipe deletes the rears. Both would reduce low end power but open up top end.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

yea i see that...but i want to be able to pass smog tests still and if i keep two out of the four of my Cat's, ill still pass smog (says URD). so i was wondering what would benefit me more?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

???
Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm not sure what standards NV has but if they do a visual, you won't pass with either item.

Long tubes would be my choice if I had to pick between the 2.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

Nv does MINIMAL visual...everyone one of my smogs ive had on prior vehicles they just plugged a thing in and that was it
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Short tubes FTW
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Heres my opinion. Get the y-pipe. Opening up the exhaust system starting at the headers is backwards. Ideally, start with a cat-back exhaust system, then more towards the block. Going in the reverse order will only cause the additional airflow to bottleneck as it reaches the next restrictive portion of the whole system.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Heres my opinion. Get the y-pipe. Opening up the exhaust system starting at the headers is backwards. Ideally, start with a cat-back exhaust system, then more towards the block. Going in the reverse order will only cause the additional airflow to bottleneck as it reaches the next restrictive portion of the whole system.
The further from the exhaust valve, the greater the volume and the corresponding velocity drop. So, restriction matters less at the tailpipe than the header.

That's why a muffler or cat back don't make the same gains as headers unless they are usually restrictive.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMan View Post
The further from the exhaust valve, the greater the volume and the corresponding velocity drop. So, restriction matters less at the tailpipe than the header.

That's why a muffler or cat back don't make the same gains as headers unless they are usually restrictive.
Exactly but you're not going to get the full potential of the headers if the rest of the exhaust can't flow the extra air. Thats pretty well understood.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
OP, given your post, which is asking one OR the other, headers are the one. Proven gains at mid to high rpm levels, might cost some low though (dyno shows loss, but any actual upgraders that report a loss are minimal). The y-pipe, while good, does not have any documetned gains by themselves that I have seen. Good part of an upgrade plan if that's where you want to go, but by itself.....

BTW Chris, my opinion on order is different as I would upgrade parts one-by-one based on the biggest improvement for the $$$ I have. Given that, I would do headers, Y, catback (or just upgrade the muffler if I am staying NA and not racing). I understand what you are saying, but I would pop on the biggest improvement first and go from there.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Short tube header and x-pipe.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #16

ok so i decided to go with the Y-Pipe. Because the o2 sensors only monitor the front Cats near the headers. So the Cats connected to the Y-pipe basically arent doing much haha...so with a CAI, URD Y-Pipe, and TRD exhuast should i yield some good performance???
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NtacomaR View Post
ok so i decided to go with the Y-Pipe. Because the o2 sensors only monitor the front Cats near the headers. So the Cats connected to the Y-pipe basically arent doing much haha...so with a CAI, URD Y-Pipe, and TRD exhuast should i yield some good performance???
Once again, short tube headers FTMFW

It's power in an RPM range you'll actually use daily. Plus, all cats stay in place so no issues with emissions or CEL's.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #18

haha dang you have me second guessing myself now....what if i do short tube headers with y-pipe? ill retain the front cats still, correct?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NtacomaR View Post
haha dang you have me second guessing myself now....what if i do short tube headers with y-pipe? ill retain the front cats still, correct?
Yes, you'll keep the front cats but I don't know what coupling the Y-pipe with short tubes gains you. Short tubes gives you gains in the low to middle RPM range. I'm not sure what happens when you put a less restrictive Y-pipe behind the shortys does for you.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #20

but if i were to just do shortys itll be a noticeable gain?