Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

exhaust re-routing pictures?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
exhaust re-routing pictures?

did a quick search and came up empty handed.
I am looking for pictures (mainly 2nd gen but any will work i suppose) of the exhaust being re-routed up and around the transfer case. I sat the truck on the exhaust the other day and it definitely took a beating.

Mainly need the pictures for reference for a shop to get an idea of what they will be doing.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty awful design huh? If I remember correctly the URD y-pipe routes the exhaust better, but any reputable exhaust shop will be able to move it to a better location.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

ya its a horrible design which wouldnt take much to fix at the Toyota level , i looked at the URD Y-pipe, but at $400+, i have to pass ha.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

no quotes yet, but it should not be more than 100.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Typically the crossover pipe is routed aft of the transfer case. You can then close off the entire section with a skid plate. From Jandrew's build thread:

All-Pro and Relentless Fab offer a transfer case skid plate with a dimple for the crossover pipe at the stock location.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
My reroute.

As you can it runs behind the xfer case.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
here's mine to clear for skid plates. makes sure if you go near to the forward u-joint, that you use some exhause wrap. you risk cooking the grease in the u-joints otherwise. this is a common problem on land rovers with their front driveshafts failing.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Cornelius Fire Department and Metro West Ambulance
Name: Robert
06TRDZombieHunter's Tacoma Gallery
Terrible

This is what I got when I sent my truck with my dad to his buddy who does exhaust for a living.... I described the flat spot under the transfer case as my biggest concern and after that to just put up a high flow muffler and dump the exhaust...

They instead figured it would be too time consuming to re-route around the transfer case, they said, "the flat portion really wont choke the gases"
These two exhaust pipes come back to one muffler way in the rear, and it exits back to one pipe right behind the rear tire just like stock... .

I was like WTF, I told you what I wanted and for $350 you give me this? Its a family friend so I cant take it back and have him cut it all off and start over... Shitty

OH yeah, and its not even mandrel bent tubes...
Attached Thumbnails
exhaust re-routing pictures?-img_0347.jpg   exhaust re-routing pictures?-img_0338.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TRDZombieHunter View Post
This is what I got when I sent my truck with my dad to his buddy who does exhaust for a living.... I described the flat spot under the transfer case as my biggest concern and after that to just put up a high flow muffler and dump the exhaust...

They instead figured it would be too time consuming to re-route around the transfer case, they said, "the flat portion really wont choke the gases"
These two exhaust pipes come back to one muffler way in the rear, and it exits back to one pipe right behind the rear tire just like stock... .

I was like WTF, I told you what I wanted and for $350 you give me this? Its a family friend so I cant take it back and have him cut it all off and start over... Shitty

Yea that sucks the whole point is to get the low hanging x-over moved from being crushed and make room for skids.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

For $350 () I would totally tell him to change it to what you asked for, family friend or not. It's business. There's no excuse for that.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Mine:

Cost about $150. Yeah, I thought it would be less, too, but they did a tremendous job!
I am by no mean trying to be mean or disrespectful, but the way this is, is bad.

Having the driver side "T" into the passenger side means two things. Exhaust pulses from the passenger side will not only go down and out the normal exhaust route, but will also go into the "T" back into the driverside tubing.

As well, the driver side exhaust pulses, when hitting that "T" will go left and right. Towards the passenger side exhaust manifold, as well as out the normal flow.

That "T" is causing your exhaust a lot of restriction. Had your exhaust guy been thinking more clearly that day, he would not have done that at all.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Dang dude. For a little more than that cost, you could have had a URD Y. :/
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I am by no mean trying to be mean or disrespectful, but the way this is, is bad.

Having the driver side "T" into the passenger side means two things. Exhaust pulses from the passenger side will not only go down and out the normal exhaust route, but will also go into the "T" back into the driverside tubing.

As well, the driver side exhaust pulses, when hitting that "T" will go left and right. Towards the passenger side exhaust manifold, as well as out the normal flow.

That "T" is causing your exhaust a lot of restriction. Had your exhaust guy been thinking more clearly that day, he would not have done that at all.
Yeah, I thought that when I got it, but then thought about how the pressure is going to drive the exhaust back. It was their first time re-routing exhaust for off-roading, and a bunch of guys here said it looked great. M'eh.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #17

PERFECT pictures, just what i needed to see, and thanks for the tip about cooking u joints with the exhaust too close.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery

Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Winston is on a distinguished road
Winston's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Pretty awful design huh? If I remember correctly the URD y-pipe routes the exhaust better, but any reputable exhaust shop will be able to move it to a better location.
How long have they been using this incredibly stupid design? Is it just a 2012 thing?

A few months ago, I bought a new 2012 Tacoma with the off-road package, trusting the many car review ratings on the Tacoma. The first time I visited a small local business that I visit every month or so, I heard a slight underside scrape as I left their driveway. They have a fairly steep driveway transitioning to a level paved road. I had exited many times in the past in other cars (not trucks) with no scraping, including a 1994 Probe GT! I thought I was just scraping a skid plate somewhere.

Yesterday as I approached my Tacoma sitting for a change by itself in a parking lot with no other cars to obstruct my view, I saw something hanging low, below the skid plates and discovered that it was the header hanging down close to the point where the vehicle would crest a hill. Seeing the space between the header and its heat shield, I thought that perhaps it was lower than it was intended to be. I went to the dealer to point it out and looked at another Tacoma with an "Off Road Package" (which I will from this point on put in quotes) they had in their showroom. Exactly the same. They said the "fix" was to add a lift kit, but no matter how much you reasonably lift it, with a long wheelbase that header is hanging down right at the point where it will scrape the crest of a hill. "Off Road" my ***! What an idiotic design.

I found the URD Competition Y-Pipe for 4WD Tacoma V6 2005+:

http://www.urdusa.com/p1260518517/UR...duct_info.html

but it looks like it would be illegal to highway drive in Kalifornia when I visit there (or does that apply only to residents of the state?). Would that fix this problem and is there anything else from URD or others that would?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
you may have already done this, but for anyone else looking...this is what i had done.. $150 at my local shop

i like the idea of putting exhaust wrap on the pipe too...