Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Extra weight for driving in snow&ice

Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
colo plainsman is on a distinguished road
colo plainsman's Tacoma Gallery
Extra weight for driving in snow&ice

How much extra weight do you add to the bed of your truck for driving on iced and snow packed streets. I have considered using sand for extra weight any other options.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
If you search on here, lots of folks use the sand bags from lowes. Depending on how much snow you get, id say 3-4 should be good over the rear axle
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
i use to own a 2wd pick up and i added about 200 pounds sand bags and it made the worlds difference, but now with 4wd and a toolbox in the back i dont need it.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I used 6 X 50 lb sand bags last winter. A similar thread exist on this question ( however not related to winter) , you may want to check it out.

see http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...our-truck.html
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
colo plainsman is on a distinguished road
colo plainsman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianTaco View Post
I used 6 X 50 lb sand bags last winter. A thread already exist on this question, you may want to check it out.

see http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...our-truck.html

Thanks sorry for the duplication.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
4x4Taco2012's Tacoma Gallery
4 x 50 lb bags work great for me. Not sure I really need them, but I always throw them in the back just in case.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
3 bags
Old 09-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo plainsman View Post
Thanks sorry for the duplication.
So many threads it's hard to know if a topic was covered, the only reason I knew was because I responded to it.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo plainsman View Post
How much extra weight do you add to the bed of your truck for driving on iced and snow packed streets. I have considered using sand for extra weight any other options.
I throw 300lbs of sand bags in the back when I go up in the mountains.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use 3 - 50lb sandbags when I had the original tired that came with the truck. The older they got, the worse they were.

About a year ago, I bought new tires and don't need the extra weight.
The new tires work great!

Instead, I'll lower the air pressure slighty in the rear tires.

When I ran with 150lbs of sandbags, it killed the gas mileage.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My 250 lb cap is perfect for keeping weight over the rear tires
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
a lot of guys get 3 or 4 tube sand bags. i plan on getting a tool box very soon. so i may only get 2. also even with 4wd weight in the bed will help! the backs of truck as very light, and the 05+ are even lighter.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I used to add between 2-300 lbs of either steel tractor weights or tube sand at the front of the bed. I don't put weight over the axle because if you ever have to lock up the brakes, that weight will be coming through the rear window.

I now have a shell and a plywood platform in the bed so that extra 300 lbs does the trick.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember to lock your load down like Pugga said and remember any additional weight you add will increase your stopping distance. I'd much rather stop quickly then start quickly, but to each their own.

IMHO adding weight is not needed in my truck. The mods I have done keep my wheels going just fine.

Also if you are adding weight like sand do yourself a favor and do 50% sand 50% salt just in case. That's what I used to do with my Mustang and it saved my ass in a few ice storms.

Here is what the USPS uses in their rigs
http://www.puzzleweight.com/ordersets

reason I don't add weight.....I don't need it ..

stock tires, no weight, 20psi, pushing snow like a champ

high center on a snow drift.... wheels 2-3' off the ground. the only time snow usually delays me
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
you don't need weight if you have a good set of winter tires. i don't add weight to my truck but i do run a winter tire and i do just fine in all but the deepest snow
Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
dcous is on a distinguished road
Name: Casey
dcous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
you don't need weight if you have a good set of winter tires. i don't add weight to my truck but i do run a winter tire and i do just fine in all but the deepest snow

I have a set of studded duratracs on my 2nd Gen access cab. It was spinning more than I'd like in 2wd so I added 300lbs of sandbags including a plastic container box (got all at Home Depot) filled with half salt/sand. It made a noticeable difference in traction. In Anchorage we have a lot of ice on the intersections in town so it helps alot.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
I bet between the cap and the sand bags I have about five hundred pounds back there. Out here they dont even plow unless there is at least 4 inches out of town or three in town.
I live out in the sticks a bit and have not seen a plow all season. Some times there is 6 inches of crap on the road. It makes for a lot less 4x4 usage