Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

15 psi turbo on stock manifold?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
GoHigher has a spectacular aura aboutGoHigher has a spectacular aura aboutGoHigher has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jake
GoHigher's Tacoma Gallery
15 psi turbo on stock manifold?

Just curious if anyone has put a turbo to a stock manifold on the 1grfe. If so did you upgrade gaskets or anything? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
WHICH manifold...? Intake or exhaust ?

Short answer is yes... And yes.

* no one mass-produces an aftermarket intake manifold for the 4.0L V6...
Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
GoHigher has a spectacular aura aboutGoHigher has a spectacular aura aboutGoHigher has a spectacular aura about

Intake obviously... you don't put boost to exhaust. I figured I can just flip my exhaust manifolds side to side and cross pipe on top. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Torspd is running pretty high boost numbers on a stock manifold, IIRC is saw the mention of 18PSI before some plastic plenum breaks in his thread somewhere, let me get you the linky

Edit: here you go, might want to have some tissues handy though http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rspd-nevr.html
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Gaunt.

GoHigher, I am sure you are already doing your homework, but I will reiterate anyway. Aftermarket components depending, the stock block won't handle the power that associated with the psi which could pop the OEM upper plenum. It will handle 1 BAR all day long, the upper plenum.

How much power are you planning on making, which turbo are you planning on running, and are you planning on doing internals?
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

I'm really just looking for 350 max. Being as that's how much this motor should put out with the size of the truck. I have a turbo laying around my shop from an 02 Volvo c70. I believe it is a Garrett. Unstamped. I've actually been entertaining the idea of mating a "dremel" style motor (geared up of course) to the compressor side of a smaller turbo and eliminating the turbine side. Use a primary/secondary type coil system to step voltage up to around 48 and use a potentiometer on my pedal... probably a pipe dream lol. As far as internals I hadn't planned on doing any. Injectors if I have to. As soon as this motor goes I will probably just put a 4bt in it.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #8

And by the way. Huge admiration from a master tech to you tor. Not many people have the balls to dive into their vehicles much less to the extent you have. Props.