Notices

Service Question

Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
AzamWest is on a distinguished road
AzamWest's Tacoma Gallery
Service Question

Type of Truck: 08 Toyota Tacoma V6

I have two questions:
1. At the dealership it was recommended that I replace my cabin air filter. Is this located in the Dash? And also how may I go about replacing this. The dealership priced me $55 to do the job. I want to save as much as I can. How can I replace this?

2. Also at the dealership it was recommended that I do an EFI service. This basically was explained as an equivalent to a BG service. Would a regular thing of Lucas injector cleaner do this job easier? The priced me at $155. Again I am just trying to save a little money right now. Would the Lucas do the job or should I just go back and get it done?

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No need for the "EFI" service...Just run good fuel, and no addatives. Fuel suppliers are requiered by the Govt. to have a certain ammount of fuel addatives, and cleaners in their fuel....Nothing else is needed.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Dont waste your money on dealership maintenance, it is complete ripoff. Anyway, as far as i know, the cab filter is in your dash, somewhere in the glove compartment area, someone will chime in about that. And as far as the EFI service, dont do it. Your 08 shouldnt have a gummed up system yet. But you might as well throw a can of seafoam in your next tank.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Oh....FWIW, I have been experimanting with washing my cabin airfilter to see how it holds up. Im on wash cycle number 3 and its still in perfect shape.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Funny you talk about dealer service. I just got a postcard in the mail from my Toyota dealer. I only have 2000 miles on mine, but I got a postcard for 3000 service? What is this for? I thought Toyota wouldn't change the oil unless it was 5000 miles. Not that I am going to let them anyway, I am going to go synthetic at the first oil change.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Dont waste your money on dealership maintenance, it is complete ripoff. Anyway, as far as i know, the cab filter is in your dash, somewhere in the glove compartment area, someone will chime in about that. And as far as the EFI service, dont do it. Your 08 shouldnt have a gummed up system yet. But you might as well throw a can of seafoam in your next tank.
I have used seafoam before and I have a feeling that it damaged my fuel system in my last truck.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
synthetic ftw! Yeh, I never let shops touch anything I own. If they can do it, I can do it better. LOL
Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzamWest View Post
I have used seafoam before and I have a feeling that it damaged my fuel system in my last truck.

I doubt it, there isnt much in the fuel system that would be damaged or even could be.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
You can find a write-up on the cabin-air filter replacement here. That guy made his own out of a home air filter, but you can buy a replacement auto filter from AutoZone or some online stores for about $15, I think.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
Funny you talk about dealer service. I just got a postcard in the mail from my Toyota dealer. I only have 2000 miles on mine, but I got a postcard for 3000 service? What is this for? I thought Toyota wouldn't change the oil unless it was 5000 miles. Not that I am going to let them anyway, I am going to go synthetic at the first oil change.

I called the service manager, he said it was a mistake and I am not scheduled for service until 5000 miles like I thought...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
ChrisL is on a distinguished road
ChrisL's Tacoma Gallery
was at the dealership this past weekend got a new cabin air filter for $25 (didn't even think to check an auto parts store). And they wanted to charge me $25 dollars to install it. Luckily I had done some reading up and figured it was easy to do myself. Just can't believe they want $25 just to unclip and slide a new filter in. Changing the oil looks easy enough, but I still go to the dealership so they can do the other checks they claim to be doing on the vehicle. But I think i'm going to be doing my own next time to put in better quality oil.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I ended up making my own filters and installing them. Cost $.90 for 4
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
oops i forgot the link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...tml#post611787
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
I get those for my first gen's 150k mile service..............which was bought back last August.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
was at the dealership this past weekend got a new cabin air filter for $25 (didn't even think to check an auto parts store). And they wanted to charge me $25 dollars to install it. Luckily I had done some reading up and figured it was easy to do myself. Just can't believe they want $25 just to unclip and slide a new filter in. Changing the oil looks easy enough, but I still go to the dealership so they can do the other checks they claim to be doing on the vehicle. But I think i'm going to be doing my own next time to put in better quality oil.

Hey you have an 07 Tacoma. Where was your Cabin air filter located so I can change mine? Also, changing your oil is not that hard. The only hard part is trying to get your oil filter off. I broke my oil filter (band) wrench on those dam things. Go out to Harbor Freight and get a set of Oil filter wrenches that actually sit on top of the filter and you use a wrench to break it loose.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzamWest View Post
Hey you have an 07 Tacoma. Where was your Cabin air filter located so I can change mine? Also, changing your oil is not that hard. The only hard part is trying to get your oil filter off. I broke my oil filter (band) wrench on those dam things. Go out to Harbor Freight and get a set of Oil filter wrenches that actually sit on top of the filter and you use a wrench to break it loose.
I posted a link of how to change it