1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I swap Flowmaster for Magnaflow???

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rod11, May 28, 2009.

1. May 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    I had a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow installed about a month ago. I love the sound on the outside, but I can't deal with the interior sound anymore. Is there a Magnaflow muffler that I can replace it with to give me close to the same exterior sound and less on the interior? Or any other brand muffler? I've listened to all of the available sound clips and it's really hard to judge.

The guy at the muffler shop recommended an 18" Magnaflow. Said it would be close to the 50 series but a little less resonance.

If all else fails I've still got my stock muffler, so I guess regardless I'll be getting rid of the Flowmaster. I'll be listing it on the Buy/Sell/Trade board, but if anyone is interested beforehand let me know.

2. May 30, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I have a magnaflow on my '09 and it sounds good. Not too loud and definitely not like a ricer type sound either. I can hear it inside while running 70+ but it is a deep note and not raspy on acceleration either. Whether or not it would be too loud inside only you could judge. I think most of the sound clips are relatively useless for really determining how an exhaust system sounds especially inside the cab while driving at different speeds.

3. May 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    Have you looked at Dynomax? Check out this thread started by tacomaman06 and listen to post #20.

4. May 31, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    bradu81

bradu81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    Silver Dbl Cab 4x4
    i have the 18in magnaflow. When i bought it the shop let me hear the dynomax, flowmaster, magnaflow, and some other muffler. after listening to them all about 3 times i went with the magnaflow (18in). not to loud but you can tell the difference and not much droning in the cab. After a few months with it on i hardly notice it.

5. May 31, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I have the 24" Magnaflow. It's not overly loud, but it still can drone a bit if you are loaded. BUT, everyone has their own idea of what sounds good.

If you are up in the Shreveport area, give me a yell.

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    Just ordered the 18" Magnaflow for $67. Seemed like a pretty good deal. Didn't realize they were so much cheaper than the Flowmasters. I'm having a hell of a time selling my month old Flowmaster though. Can't even get 60 bucks for it! Muffler shop will credit me $30 so I guess that's better than nothing.

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    With the somewhat marginal stock stereo on in my '09 I can't hear the exhaust in the cab at all. It seems to be a little quieter if anything. Or maybe I have just gotten used to it so don't notice it. Anyway it was a welcome change to my truck and I would recommend it for freeing up some of the restriction in the stock muffler. It helps a little with the gas mileage, just don't expect any huge improvement. It's neat rowing through the gears listening to the engine and exhaust. One of the joys of a manual transmission.

Products Discussed in

To Top