1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JMITCH08, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Yes it will. My dad ran a car on Dyno-Jet and was 110hp down on the Dyno-Jet, and realistically you can feel 100hp, like especially in a light car and a truck. Went to a shop who ran a Dyno Dynamics 4-Wheel Dyno and the results came out accurate (Should be approx 80-85% of the bhp). It's worth a shot before digging into more problems.

Here's a good article to explain about Dyno's: WARNING, it's long :p

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123629978.html

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    Well, ran the truck again on dyno dynamic, got 188hp... But this time I found out what was causing it to run so low, apparently my snorkel isn't allowing much air flow so I was only getting about 3 lbs of boost, I guess I'll just leave my cai cover off until I know I'm gonna be driving in water

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I just bought a $5K Tempurpedic bed, now i am saving for a SC!!

4. Jan 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Doc McCoy

Doc McCoy Untitled Offroad

Member:
    Calgary, Ab
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Headers, Borla Exhaust Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Allpro Sliders IVD Extended Front Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, TC Spindles, Alcan Rear Leafs, IVD Omega Rear Shocks Regeared to 4.88s, Front ARB Airlocker, Manual Hub conversion Also Mastercraft seats and sick cue ball shifters :D
    I know this is old but I need more info about this ... So you have to hook your snorkel up when approaching water crossings? Otherwise your starving your SC of oxygen?

5. Jan 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Interesting, are you blowing a fan towards the snorkel inlet to simulate air flow from driving, as it won't suck air in as well as a normal/stock intake will at rest.

6. Jan 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Doc McCoy

Doc McCoy Untitled Offroad

Member:
    Calgary, Ab
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Headers, Borla Exhaust Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Allpro Sliders IVD Extended Front Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, TC Spindles, Alcan Rear Leafs, IVD Omega Rear Shocks Regeared to 4.88s, Front ARB Airlocker, Manual Hub conversion Also Mastercraft seats and sick cue ball shifters :D
    That would also be interesting to know.

7. Jan 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Not trying to be rude, but you are incorrect. The motor is a vacuum. The S/C makes the motor stronger vacuum. It will suck in air regardless of a fan or not. As well, it will get cooler ambient air than an engine bay intake.

The problem is that the snorkel is possibly creating a strong restriction. Thus the motor is working harder for the air. << That goes with what the last part of your sentence says.

8. Jan 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    What year and size motor do you have? That is really low for a 4.0L V6.

Edit: Also, those are some really strange blips on the graph. Something definitely isn't right.

9. Jan 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Accuracy is in the consistency. From my experience, Mustang and Dyno Dynamics dynos run lower numbers than Dyno-Jets. Due in part to the points that they are both eddie current and that you have to enter vehicle characteristics. Thus it induces the load the the vehicle sees, to simulate real world driving conditions.

However, those number can easily be misconstued if the operator doesn't enter the values properly. I have seen that very many times, with less than scupulous shops.

On average, those two type should read a percentage lower than a Dyno-Jet, on lower hp runs. On higher hp runs the numbers will get closers to the same, and then even out.

The newest Dyno-Jet dynos are now both eddie and inertia operated. So they are extremely accurate. :thumbsup:

10. Jan 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Not being rude at all man, just misinformed on my end, that's the way someone explained it to me once and it made sense, good to know now tho:thumbsup:

11. Jan 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Didn't know that, good to know :cool:

12. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    It is my pleasure to help man. I have been mis-informed many a time myself, and prefer to be properly informed. Just as long as the informer isn't being an ass about it.

That is what we are all here for anyway. To share and learn.

ItsRichieRich, Key-Rei and Stryker420 like this.
  13. Jan 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    2009 4.0 v6

14. Jan 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    We have a dyno close here. They say it's the heart breaker. But it was really almost spot on with some numbers for stock dodges. I would really hope with a s/c you would put down 300 at the wheels.

15. Jan 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    TRD Super Charger, UWS, All Pro expedition leaf spring pac, Icon stage 4 suspension, B.A.M.F LCA Skid plates, TC weld-on upper coil bucket tower gussets, TC weld-on spindle gussets with sway bar mounts. RTT, Thule Roof Rack, Thule, Leitner Active Cargo System, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, All Pro Front Bumper, All Pro Apex Sliders, Nilight - 60005C-A 20Inch 126W Spot Flood Combo Led Light Bar.
  16. Jan 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I gave a feeling that someone input the data wrong in the dyno. Otherwise, while you accelerate, you would feel strong lurching at the rpms where the dips are on the graph.

Do you?

17. Jan 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Does the dealer charge you for the reflash if you were to order the charger on line.

18. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Yes. The reflash is independent of the s/c. Regardless of where it is purchased.

19. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i think they only charge a hundred bucks or so for the reflash.

20. Jan 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    TRD Super Charger, UWS, All Pro expedition leaf spring pac, Icon stage 4 suspension, B.A.M.F LCA Skid plates, TC weld-on upper coil bucket tower gussets, TC weld-on spindle gussets with sway bar mounts. RTT, Thule Roof Rack, Thule, Leitner Active Cargo System, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, All Pro Front Bumper, All Pro Apex Sliders, Nilight - 60005C-A 20Inch 126W Spot Flood Combo Led Light Bar.
    I am in TX:

Round Rock, TX (my dealer, waiting for a counter quote vs Killeen):
    " I got the parts department to cut the price down to $4000. Then service said they would charge 10 hours of labor at $98 an hour. so your total cost would end up being $4980 installed."

Killeen, TX:
    "We can do $3850.00 for the TRD supercharger and the fit kit. Labor will be at a discounted rate of 70/hr. for a total of $560.00 if you purchase the supercharger through us. ($4410) If you purchase the supercharger elsewhere, labor will be 95/hr. for a total of $760."

Temple, TX:
    "The parts price with tax is $4871.25 ($4500.00 for parts and $371.25 for tax.)
    The labor cost for install is $660.00 (this is six hours of labor.)
    Total cost of parts and installation will be $5531.25."

So if your getting more done then that, at a better price, take the deal and run! I went to Killeen.

Products Discussed in

To Top