1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance mods for towing

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bswen7, May 8, 2008.

1. May 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    bswen7

bswen7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma SR5
    Ive got a 1998 Tacoma 3.4 V6. I've towed a boat in the past (about 2,500 to 3,000 pounds). The truck pulled it ok but struggled to pull up a steeper grade. Im getting a bigger boat which should weight about 1,000 pounds more then the previous boat. I think the truck will be a bit underpowered to pull the new boat. I was thinking about upgrading the exhaust (header and cat back) along with a K&N cold air intake and a transmission cooler. Im looking for feeback on who has done mods like these and if it has made towing any easier. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

2. May 8, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Welcome to TW! I think if you want to have any noticable gains from your truck you would have to go with the TRD supercharger, especially if you are getting a heavier boat. The mods you mentioned would only give you minimal gains, and would probably not make much of a difference when towing.

3. May 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Around 4,000# you should have brakes on the trailer for sure. Your only going to get 15-20 HP increase with both the CAI and the exhaust. The transmission cooler for sure, and keep it slow and in 3rd gear to prevent hunting. As stated above SC and premium fuel is your only other option without going real radical, like dropping in a V-8. Re-gearing would also be an option, but would require it in the front also if yours is 4X4.

Read Maverick's thread on towing for many other tips on the subject.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html

Good luck.

4. May 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM
    gpspowell

gpspowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TDR CAI, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Old Man Emu 2 1/2" lift kit (886s & Dakars), Full All Pro armor inc. locker guard, Custom fuel tank armor, All Pro Rock Sliders, ARB front bumper, IPF 800XS Driving Lights, Ramsey REP 8000 winch, Centerline wheels, 285X75X16 Michelin LT AT2s, Snug Top shell, SoundLinQ audio interface for my iPod.
    If your boat weighs 2500 - 3000 lbs. and you go up another 1000 lbs. you may be exceeding the tow capacity of your truck (check your manual). If you're not figuring in the weight of the trailer, fuel, water, coolers, etc. you're playing a potentially dangerous game. If the boat weighs more than the truck (and even if the trailer has good brakes) pulling the load may turn out to be the least of your worries.

Products Discussed in

To Top