LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review: UOBD2 Mini VCI for Toyota

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Review: UOBD2 Mini VCI for Toyota

I've had a UOBD2 Mini VCI cable for a week now and thought I'd do a quick review for TW.

First things first: I have no affiliation with the suppliers of this product nor is this review a guarantee of future performance, this is simply an account of my personal experience. Do not change settings where you do not know the outcome, this can cause irreparable damage to your vehicle. I do not condone use of this product.

Now that we got that out of the way, on to the review...

System Req's and Use: A PC that runs in Windows XP mode and USB in order to use Techstream, otherwise software will not work. Once loaded I had access to check OBDII and make programming changes.

Ordering: Ordered Mini VCI Cable thru UODB2 website, payment made thru paypal. For $34.99 USD the order included 1x 6ft Mini VCI Cable, 1 mini-disc (preloaded with MVCI Firmware and Techstream 7.10.030 Software) and shipping. Vendor sent an email when order Received, Processed and Shipped.

Delivery Timeline: Payment made Day 1, Order shipped Day 4, Arrived at my door on Day 14. While I got my package in great shape my biggest complaint is the complete lack of shipment tracking... no way to see where package is located or when it will be at my door.

Mini VCI Cable and Disc

Install:
Loading applications was easy and instructions are provided on disc. Once I loaded firmware/software from disc, I plugged cable into OBDII port (below coin tray, above emergency brake as pic'd) and was up and running.

Example of Techstream use:
Goodbye seatbelt warning chime!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Cool. What else does it do? Other options?
i need to know MOAR!!!! I may get this just for the seat belt chime. Will it disable the door buzzer? If so I am game.

thanks for the write up.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
ggms16 is on a distinguished road
ggms16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango down View Post
i need to know MOAR!!!! I may get this just for the seat belt chime. Will it disable the door buzzer? If so I am game.

thanks for the write up.
It will not disable the door buzzer but will lower the volume to a note that is decent.

check out this thread with more info

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5501216
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the assist buddy, checking out the link now
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm, maybe in on this. could be worth it for just the tpms issue with aftermarket wheels(read: not installing tpms on aftermarket wheels)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
schleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really nice

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
hmmm, maybe in on this. could be worth it for just the tpms issue with aftermarket wheels(read: not installing tpms on aftermarket wheels)

I am also very interested. I sold my TPMS and have the light on all the time
Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
I am also very interested. I sold my TPMS and have the light on all the time
Found this in another thread. You could do this for free...........

Behind the air conditioner panel on the dash you will find the ecu for the TPMS. Cut the blue wire, connect the end not on the connector to the red\white wire coming out of the same connector. This will shut the light off for good. This applies +5 volts which is exactly how the ecu shuts the light off. "bama trd" posted great instructions. Since there is 5 volts in the same harness it made it easy. Just did it today to get ready for inspection since my sensors are toast. I believe this works on 07+.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
redz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to beholdredz80 is a splendid one to behold

redz80's Tacoma Gallery
is this unit able to change the tire size in the computer so the computer doesn't have a shit fit when changeing from bigger summer to smaller winter tires?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango down View Post

thanks for the write up.
It will not disable the door buzzer, or at least I haven't seen the option. Lowering the volume I've heard can be done on a Tundra, but not seen on Tacoma.

You can read OBDII Codes, perform techstream health checks, recalibrate tpms thru the utility as well get exact tire pressure values, reprogram ECU, check/troubleshoot system values including cruise control, ABS, VSC, and enable/disable seatbelt chimes.

I know there are a lot more options listed in ggms16's thread regading lights, alarms, volume, etc but many of those Toyota features are only programmable on Tundras, not Tacos.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
BaLLZaCH is on a distinguished road
BaLLZaCH's Tacoma Gallery
Is 2012 different ??? Something doesn't seem right .... ?!

I'm not sure if this can set any settings on 2012,,, I can't anyway...
Help me if I'm missing something please...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5741256
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
mitchbuck is on a distinguished road
mitchbuck's Tacoma Gallery
Question. If I use this to turn off the seatbelt chime and then go to the dealer for routine maintenance will anything come up on the dealers computer showing that the computer settings have been changed? If so will this violate the warranty? Or will they only notice something if they check this specific setting?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
fyremanpat is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz80 View Post
is this unit able to change the tire size in the computer so the computer doesn't have a shit fit when changeing from bigger summer to smaller winter tires?
I too was wondering about this. That would be great if it works.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbuck View Post
Question. If I use this to turn off the seatbelt chime and then go to the dealer for routine maintenance will anything come up on the dealers computer showing that the computer settings have been changed? If so will this violate the warranty? Or will they only notice something if they check this specific setting?
The seatbelt chime can be turned off by any dealer, so even if they notice I can't think of a reason why this would void warranty. Now going in and monkeying with the ECU programming would be a different story...

I just went into the dealer for my 10k maintenance, they didn't say anything.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I just received one of these from Ebay and thought I'd share since I bought it because of this thread. Seems to be essentially the same thing the OP has, but with the newer 7.20.041 software.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160934824446?item=160934824446

$25.88 shipped from China
Ordered Dec 31, shipped Jan 1, and delivered Jan 18

I loaded the software on an old XP laptop and played with it connected to the Tacoma for only a few minutes so far. Still figuring out the software but it seems to work well.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
I just received one of these from Ebay and thought I'd share since I bought it because of this thread. Seems to be essentially the same thing the OP has, but with the newer 7.20.041 software.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160934824446?item=160934824446

$25.88 shipped from China
Ordered Dec 31, shipped Jan 1, and delivered Jan 18

I loaded the software on an old XP laptop and played with it connected to the Tacoma for only a few minutes so far. Still figuring out the software but it seems to work well.
Was the 7.20.041 sent on a disk? Zip File? Just curious if this is something you can shoot me an email cause I wouldn't mind newer software.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
Was the 7.20.041 sent on a disk? Zip File? Just curious if this is something you can shoot me an email cause I wouldn't mind newer software.
I bought one and my disc is 7.31.003. I'll see about creating an .iso for you. I have yet to even open the package. I hope to do it maybe this week.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
Sorry, looks like I missed your post. It's on a disk. Shoot me a PM if you want to try it and I'll make an ISO. I'd like to try yours and Agro's too if you guys can do that.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I can't get mine to work. I've spent about 2 hours tonight with this thing. My laptop is Win7 x64. I have the drivers installed, it detects it and in device manager it looks clean. Each time I try the various installs with the crack etc it basically tells me "Initializing USB Connection" and then says "Unable to Connect to VIM".

I fired up Virtual PC with the WinXP image, installed the software, Attached the M-VCI and then it asked for drivers, which I gave and Device Manager is happy, still I get the error in WinXP mode. Not sure wtf.

This is what I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261159388342...84.m1497.l2649

I contacted seller, but we'll see.

:EDIT:
I have it working. In VirtualPC in WinXP, I found "VIM Select" and switched it. Whammo. Tacoma. time to play with this.

:2nd EDIT:
couldnt get it to customize to where I can make changes to seatbelt chime. perhaps cuz i am 2013...
note - seller sent me a download link to v8.00.034. I grabbed it. I'll try that tomorrow. I have yet to see anyone else post up using that, so we'll see.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have this working on Vista???