1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When is a Differential Breather Mod Necessary?

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Olson, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM
    Olson

Olson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DBL Cab TRD Sport short bed
    Front-3" Pro-Comp lift coils with ES6000 shocks Rear- 1.5" AAL with Pro-Comp ES9000 K&N Intake Blacked out headlights 8k HID Headlights 8k HID Foglights Cobra CB Radio Avid Off-Road Side steps 2 Memphis Amps 2 10" JL Subs(replaced stock) 3' Whip antenna Black Plast-Dip Valence
    What are the chances of the water getting sucked up in the diff? I was going through trails online and want to hit up coyote trail and there is a part that is deep enough where differential is fully submerged for a decent distance.

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:16 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    If it gets past the stock diff even for a few seconds you are risking getting water in your diff. The mod inly costs less than $20

3. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:42 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    yea very simple and very nesscary for sure.

4. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:49 AM
    Olson

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Front-3" Pro-Comp lift coils with ES6000 shocks Rear- 1.5" AAL with Pro-Comp ES9000 K&N Intake Blacked out headlights 8k HID Headlights 8k HID Foglights Cobra CB Radio Avid Off-Road Side steps 2 Memphis Amps 2 10" JL Subs(replaced stock) 3' Whip antenna Black Plast-Dip Valence
    what is the best way to go about running it and where did you run it to? storage compartment?

5. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:51 AM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    Behind the fuel door... there are write ups on here.

6. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  7. Nov 10, 2011 at 3:21 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The other benefit of doing this is that the oem breather doesn't allow the axle to breath very easily when the fluid builds up pressure from getting hot so it puts pressure on your axle seals. I suppose it is made that way to balance keeping water out and letting it breath past a certain point. I had to have axle seals replaced on my 05 and believe this to have been the cause of them needing replacing at only 53k. I got the truck with 48k on it. I did the mod again immediately upon getting the 08 with 51k on it. The mod breather allows easy 2 way breathing. I believe it is more important for the axle seals than it is to keep water out. The pressure thing happens all the time when driving and axle deep water crossings a lot less often for most folks. Mine's up here high and dry...........

[​IMG]

8. Nov 10, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    Olson

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    thank you i will do that. how did you get the cubby hole removed to make the drill?

9. Nov 10, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Drilled the hole from the outside in the gas door area. The cubby hole thing is a lift and pull and squish to get it out. Just has little ears that catch and hold it in place. You need it out for access to get the hose on the breather fitting if you put it in the gas door area. If you're putting it in the cubby area then yeah, just pull it out and drill it afterwards.

BTW, the front differential has the breather up high and is one that breaths easy without building up pressure so it isn't necessary to mess with that one according to the 4wd folks.

10. Nov 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Olson, some of the photos posted above are from my thread on doing the mod... I recommend you click the link to my thread (below in my sig.)... See it all... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/111954-my-differential-breather-mod-photos.html

I opt for easy, and this mod was easy. The water gets in through the AXLE seals, not the stock breather on top of the diff. By changing the one way breather (lets hot gasses out only) to a 2 way (true) breather up higher, it breaks any vacuum created inside the diff., which is what causes water to suck into the diff. when you drive into a foot or more of water (whatever your axle to ground distance is).

The 2 way breather we use, is the same one that is on the front diff. at the end of a tube... Seriously, the Off Road TRDs (or perhaps all 4WD Tacos) should have the same set up on the back, as it does on the front!

Products Discussed in

To Top