LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon or King, what would you do?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Icon or King, what would you do?

I konw this topic gets brought up a lot on here and I have done a good amount of research just still don't know what route to go just yet. I have an 02 double cab tacoma 4x4 and will be doing the suspension on it soon I was going to go with an OME setup but have decided to go with coilovers but like I said not sure what brand I want just yet. Any kind of input is welcomed, thaks.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What color do you want? Black or blue?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
progressive vs digressive.

but really if you really want to know wade through the shit on this thread theres good knowledge
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...coilovers.html
Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lol yea the few ppl I have talked to say the same thing. As far as perfomacne it seems they are close. I do like that Icon has the extended travel don't konw if I would get anymore out of it or not though.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
This.

The valving is a bit different. Either will support whatever direction you'd like to take your truck and hold up to a helluva beating.

Personally, I like Icon's attention to detail, which is why I went with them.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ That

your going to break something else before you come even close to damaging these shocks.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
progressive vs digressive.

but really if you really want to know wade through the shit on this thread theres good knowledge
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...coilovers.html

Thanks for the link good info on there. Now the type of off roading I will be doing is on old logging trails so nothing real fast top speed of 40 mph on bad roads and then some slow crawling on rocks and such so what coilover is best for that progressive vs digressive?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
You know the only reason I know this is because I have been searching through threads looking for opinion and experience with ICON, Fox and King. Hint Hint.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
You know the only reason I know this is because I have been searching through threads looking for opinion and experience with ICON, Fox and King. Hint Hint.

I have done some searching about two weeks worth on here and other sites but still so hard to make a decision. Reading that link some say that SAW are good for our trucks. Just don't here alot about them it is mostly King or Icon.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm32 View Post
I have done some searching about two weeks worth on here and other sites but still so hard to make a decision. Reading that link some say that SAW are good for our trucks. Just don't here alot about them it is mostly King or Icon.
Nah I was hinting that I might be getting something soon. I'm liking Fox.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the link good info on there. Now the type of off roading I will be doing is on old logging trails so nothing real fast top speed of 40 mph on bad roads and then some slow crawling on rocks and such so what coilover is best for that progressive vs digressive?
they are both good, KING-progressive softer at low speed, and progressivly harder as the hits become bigger. ICON-digressive harder at low speeds, softer on bigger hits.

IMO progressive but thats just me and I am limited knowledged
Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:

Ah ok now I see cool so you are looking at Fox real hard. I hear they are nice also. For truck 02 model mostly Icon, king and sometime SAW are common coilovers.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
they are both good, KING-progressive softer at low speed, and progressivly harder as the hits become bigger. ICON-digressive harder at low speeds, softer on bigger hits.

IMO progressive but thats just me and I am limited knowledged

Makes sense and still good info could be the deciding factor on what I get.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:

Let me know when you get your coiovers and how you like them. When were you thinking of getting them?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Let me know when you get your coiovers and how you like them. When were you thinking of getting them?
It won't be for a while.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #16

What other coilovers were you looking at and what kind of wheeling do you do?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
Banned
King, Fox and ICON. I have heard ICON can be stiff so I'm kind steering clear of those. I usually do easy to moderate difficulty wheeling. I'd like to add a little high speed to my offroading but nothing like 100 mph through massive whoops. I want to do what I do and not worry about breaking.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #18

Yea I am the same way nothing serious but just a good ride overall. I am obviously King or ICON. I have heard that the ICONS can ride a lil rough but from what I uderstand they are made like that then at higher speeds they soften up. Still I think no matter what we do we will be satisfied.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
Banned
The FOX 2.0s have some ride adjustability. The 2.5s require re valving.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Let's clear something up: The Icon's do not ride "rough" on road. They a little, emphasis on little, more jittery on minor broken pavement. The tradeoff? Speedbumps and potholes feel like a late 70s Lincoln land yacht.

I have *nothing* bad to say about the Icon setup offroad. Very soft hits on rocks, drops, and holes, a world of improvement from stock.