LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

greasable shackle bolts

Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
greasable shackle bolts

Okay, posted this in the 1st gen forum, should probably ask here too.

looking for greesable shackle bolt for my 1st gen 4x4. I have 1" lift shackles, but they're conventional bolts.

Do I have options aside from buying an OME stock height shackle kit?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...kle-bolts.html

thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
maybe pull the bolts out and apply some of this.....it lasts a looooooong time.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
remove the bolts drill into the shackle, tap it, put a zerk on it. Tada!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
yep that to.man,why didnt i think of that.......
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^Because your an old fart.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
^Because your an old fart.
now,now
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Now, now what? What are you gonna do old man?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
I was kind of upset when I found out the shop I had install the bushings (needed to press out the OEM sleeves) didn't grease them... Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be an issue right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
What do you mean drill into the shackle? You mean drill a hole into the end of the shackle bolts?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Drill into the shackle housing without the bolt in place. Use a location where it will be easy to get a grease gun on it. Basically you are drilling a path for the grease to get to where to bolt is. Tap the end of the hole you just drilled so you can thread a zerk on it.
I have seen this done for caliper slide pins as well.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
I was kind of upset when I found out the shop I had install the bushings (needed to press out the OEM sleeves) didn't grease them... Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be an issue right now.

gotcha,well you could just pull the bolt and lube it.

What do you mean drill into the shackle? You mean drill a hole into the end of the shackle bolts?
no.in the middle of the shackle,i think what he meant.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From experience, I can tell you that it lasts just until you go 'wheeling and drive through a deep puddle, or expose it to a winters worth of road salt. My re-seized spring eye bolts were covered in the stuff during install.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
From experience, I can tell you that it lasts just until you go 'wheeling and drive through a deep puddle, or expose it to a winters worth of road salt. My re-seized spring eye bolts were covered in the stuff during install.
wow,first i've heard that.i use this stuff all the time and it hold up great imo.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wow,first i've heard that.i use this stuff all the time and it hold up great imo.
I figured it would too, after all, it is a royal pain to get off of anything. The spring eye bolts seized in the springs and I used a shitload of it on them ( I get to cut them out..again, YAY!). I have also tried it on skid plate bolts with similar poor results.

I recommend marine grease, or caliper grease for water resistance.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I figured it would too, after all, it is a royal pain to get off of anything. The spring eye bolts seized in the springs and I used a shitload of it on them ( I get to cut them out..again, YAY!). I have also tried it on skid plate bolts with similar poor results.

I recommend marine grease, or caliper grease for water resistance.
damb.....good to know.just never had that issue and yeah your right on getting it on everything else,before you know it,its on your elbow/face/clothing....lol