Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2012 TSB Question

Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
They're ride height adjustable coilovers. The coilspring controls ride height, not the shock.

http://www.bilsteincanada.com/produc...8vbjr842i3tob6

The adjustment is on the shock, the coils change in respect to the seat on the shock. I'm not trying to start an argument just think bilstein would know what they are talking about.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . .
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
On a side note I can see where he is coming from as you can get larger coils aswell which changes ride height. Also the post is to no disrespect of jandrews as looking at his build he knows about suspension. Just stating what's advertised.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #24
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdleines View Post
So where do I stand on my 2012 Prerunner. It has only 3 springs. Will dealership/Toyota fix this by adding an extra leaf at no charge or will I have to pay for an upgrade.
... ^^^ ... I have been through the "Rear Leaf Spring TSB" twice on a 2009 & 2010 Tacoma and the TSB is well worth the hassle. It took 3 attempts to get it done on the 2007 and it was done on the 2010 with no hassles.

I am waiting on the "2012 TSB Notice" on the 2012 now and when it is available, I will have it done. It is free and Toyota will realign all 4 wheels too and in some cases add bilsteins too. Make sure this (realignment) is done as it is sometimes forgotten.

IIRC, I saw the bill from dealer to Toyota corporate on this TSB and it was about $1,800.00 to do it.

The dealer does not add an extra leaf ... dealer will remove old 3 leaf pack and install a new 4 leaf pack.

It boils down to keep going back and "complaining about the harsh ride when vehicle is loaded" (key words there) ... and getting the right dealer to approve it and order the parts and do it.

Some have zero problems with this TSB getting done and others have a hassle getting it done. Talking to right person at right dealer seems to be the key to getting it done ASAP.

Dealer will keep your truck a day and give you a free rental while the work is being performed and you should pay zero.

This TSB also improves handling, even when unloaded.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
FullMTLjacket is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
FullMTLjacket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
... ^^^ ... I have been through the "Rear Leaf Spring TSB" twice on a 2009 & 2010 Tacoma and the TSB is well worth the hassle. It took 3 attempts to get it done on the 2007 and it was done on the 2010 with no hassles.

I am waiting on the "2012 TSB Notice" on the 2012 now and when it is available, I will have it done. It is free and Toyota will realign all 4 wheels too and in some cases add bilsteins too. Make sure this (realignment) is done as it is sometimes forgotten.

IIRC, I saw the bill from dealer to Toyota corporate on this TSB and it was about $1,800.00 to do it.

The dealer does not add an extra leaf ... dealer will remove old 3 leaf pack and install a new 4 leaf pack.

It boils down to keep going back and "complaining about the harsh ride when vehicle is loaded" (key words there) ... and getting the right dealer to approve it and order the parts and do it.

Some have zero problems with this TSB getting done and others have a hassle getting it done. Talking to right person at right dealer seems to be the key to getting it done ASAP.

Dealer will keep your truck a day and give you a free rental while the work is being performed and you should pay zero.

This TSB also improves handling, even when unloaded.
Awesome! I JUST bought my 2012 TRD off road. I think I might try and bitch my way to getting a new leaf pack : ) Once you do, you no longer need an AAL if im going all 4 5100's and OME 885x coils?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
I have the 2013 and it looks just like the OP rear springs. 4 instead of the 3.
Wait, what? Did I miss the release of the 2013 model?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 DC Sport with 4 leafs in the rear. The rear was exactly 2 inches higher (hub center to fender) than the front. I set the 5100s at 1.75 in the front..and it came out perfectly level.
Maybe try putting the 5100s in the rear, you are missing out on the whole point of a better ride with the 5100s.

Good Luck

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #28
thedahl is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
thedahl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
I have a 2012 DC Sport with 4 leafs in the rear. The rear was exactly 2 inches higher (hub center to fender) than the front. I set the 5100s at 1.75 in the front..and it came out perfectly level.
Maybe try putting the 5100s in the rear, you are missing out on the whole point of a better ride with the 5100s.

Good Luck

Your truck looks awesome! I've got the same truck (but in black) and I've been debating what kind of kit to put in it and now I know...5100's @ 1.75 here I come!

What size tires are you running???
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedahl View Post
Your truck looks awesome! I've got the same truck (but in black) and I've been debating what kind of kit to put in it and now I know...5100's @ 1.75 here I come!

What size tires are you running???
Thanks, I did a lot of research cause there is so much contradictory information on here.
265/75/16. But I think the key is my wheels are 16x 8.5 (not the usual 16X8). I think the extra width gives tires a beefier look and dura tracs have that aggressive profile. I am real happy with how it came out and get lots of compliments in person.

It is an everyday driver for me and I planned on lifting it 3 inches. But I was already having to climb into it at stock height, so I thought I would just give the 5100s a try for an interim solution for under $500. Cause if you really want to really do a lift correctly it will end up costing $2000 for that extra inch or so to get it to 3 inches.

So this worked out great for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #30
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just to confirm all this the OP's leaf pack is what would be considered the TSB leaf pack correct? I was told mine was on my 12 and it's the same as the OP's
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Canadian Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
Thanks, I did a lot of research cause there is so much contradictory information on here.
265/75/16. But I think the key is my wheels are 16x 8.5 (not the usual 16X8). I think the extra width gives tires a beefier look and dura tracs have that aggressive profile. I am real happy with how it came out and get lots of compliments in person.
T
It is an everyday driver for me and I planned on lifting it 3 inches. But I was already having to climb into it at stock height, so I thought I would just give the 5100s a try for an interim solution for under $500. Cause if you really want to really do a lift correctly it will end up costing $2000 for that extra inch or so to get it to 3 inches.

So this worked out great for me.
Hey man post a few more pics in here of that truck... I am constantly fighting with myself as to what lift I am going with toytec ULK (but I would have to get new new uca's cause I have to do shit right) or the 5100's and a few trucks with the 5100's seem to be high enough but others don't....

Even with just the 5100's should you not get a diff drop? I always thought anything over 1.5" a diff drop was recommended??
Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #32
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
A diff drop is never recommended for 2nd gens. It will do more harm than good. If the lowered mounting lugs catch on anything off road, it will push the diff into the engine block.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Canadian Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
A diff drop is never recommended for 2nd gens. It will do more harm than good. If the lowered mounting lugs catch on anything off road, it will push the diff into the engine block.
Huh? Well why does the toytec ULK come with the front diff drop?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #34
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Not everything Toytec sells is good.

Look at where the CV shafts come out of the diff. The diff's mounting lugs are far forward. A 0.5" diff drop spacer will lower the CV shaft by less than 0.2". So you lose 0.5" ground clearance and create two dangerous snag points under the truck. See what kind of damage it can do: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

CV boots won't shred below 2.5" lift. Above that, just do boot clip mod:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-boot-mod.html
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
This
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetaco View Post
Hey man post a few more pics in here of that truck... I am constantly fighting with myself as to what lift I am going with toytec ULK (but I would have to get new new uca's cause I have to do shit right) or the 5100's and a few trucks with the 5100's seem to be high enough but others don't....
Even with just the 5100's should you not get a diff drop? I always thought anything over 1.5" a diff drop was recommended??
I am like you, I like to do things right or dont them at all and I was going to get the ULK, new UCAs, everything to do it right. (those red coils are almost as cool looking as a fake hood scoop!) But like I said the truck was high enough already and the 1.75" leveling worked perfect for me and I am completely happy

Before the 5100s, but with the aftermarket wheels & tires(and this is with 4 leafs in the rear from the factory):

The measurements from center hub to fender were:
front: 20"
Rear: 22"

Now it is basically 22" in the front(there is slight difference right to left, of less than a quarter inch, so it is is imperceptible to the eye). The alignment came out perfect with no problems after the front lift. I get 16mpg in 50/50 city/highway driving. I was getting a little more than 17mph before the tires/lift. I havent done a lot of pure highway driving. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #37
Canadian Redneck

So does this Setup in this picture require the tsb AAL?? I asked Toytec if I would require the TSB AAL and they said I would require the TSB AAL??? I am confused
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #38

Quote:
So does this Setup in this picture require the tsb AAL?? I asked Toytec if I would require the TSB AAL and they said I would require the TSB AAL??? I am confused
Nothing is "required". Of course a vendor is going to tell you that you need to buy from them. It is all about what you want. Leaf springs are man made and thus none come out the same. As I stated above. Directly from the factory my truck came with 4 leafs and the distance between the center hub and fender was 22" in the rear. I am sure there are people with 3 leafs with 22". And there are probably people with 4 leafs that have less than that. So measure what you have on your truck and go from there.
For my truck the rear was 2" higher than the front, so it was simple math to set my front 5100s at 1.75".
If you only have a 1" difference then you set your front at .85 or you get a 1.5" AAL and then set your front at 2.5"
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
sc00b is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Jesse
sc00b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have the TSB/4 leafs already, then yes. You have to get the TSB AAL. That's what I did.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #40
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to bump this thread as I didn't want to make a new one..

Just had the tsb done on my truck and they replaced the whole leaf pack with another 3 leaf? I tried searching and couldn't find an answer to this as everyone is mentioning them adding a 4th leaf