Notices

Differential Drop needed?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
jamesnev is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jamesnev's Tacoma Gallery
Differential Drop needed?

Hey Guys,

New to TW, but the more time i spend on this website the more i'm starting to play around with my 2010 Tacoma TRD sport.

I'm about to install a Skyjacker 2.5inch leveling kit and I've searched and keep coming back to the same thing: Differential drop kit or not? I cant seem to get a solid answer of what is the best despite trying the oh so famous "search" button.

I wouldn't say i do extreme off roading, but i do head off the black top for biking, snowmobiling, and the random adventure. I do have firestone air ride in the rear to handle having my sled in the back. Other than that, everything is still factory.

Any help would be great,

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnev View Post
Hey Guys,

New to TW, but the more time i spend on this website the more i'm starting to play around with my 2010 Tacoma TRD sport.

I'm about to install a Skyjacker 2.5inch leveling kit and I've searched and keep coming back to the same thing: Differential drop kit or not? I cant seem to get a solid answer of what is the best despite trying the oh so famous "search" button.

I wouldn't say i do extreme off roading, but i do head off the black top for biking, snowmobiling, and the random adventure. I do have firestone air ride in the rear to handle having my sled in the back. Other than that, everything is still factory.

Any help would be great,

Thanks!
Nope. Only if 4x4 and if you were going higher.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Thanks TrdSurgie,

My truck is a 4X4. Does that mean i should be installing a differential drop?

Cheers
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
NOOOOO diff drop needed for 2nd gens......I know some go back and forth but it's well known that it actually causes issues!

And dude, skyjacker spacers? You don't want your truck riding like shit bricks do you? I know they look cool but get some 5100's at 1.75" and enjoy a little lift with good shocks!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
NOOOOO diff drop needed for 2nd gens......I know some go back and forth but it's well known that it actually causes issues!

And dude, skyjacker spacers? You don't want your truck riding like shit bricks do you? I know they look cool but get some 5100's at 1.75" and enjoy a little lift with good shocks!

Thanks for clearing the question that was giving me a headache.

I really am not experienced with lifts, etc. I was going with skyjacker cause the price seemed right without emptying a bank account.
the 5100s are simply a shock that gives me an exta 1.75?
can i get a 5100 that gives me the 2.5? i want it to sit level with the back
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100s have 4 settings on the shock body itself....0 lift, .85", 1.75" and 2.5" but at the highest setting they'll ride pretty stiff but still better than a spacer. Lots of guys also get a longer spring to go with the shock (eibachs or OME) so they don't have to be pre-loaded as much. Search, it's been covered 1,647,7588,584,845 times...lol

It really wouldn't cost much more to do it right!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
needed? no. recommended? yes. some say they dont do anything for second generation tacomas, i have no knowledge on that part though.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
It doesnt actually "drop" the differential. It slightly rotates/angles it down. But its not enough to make and significant difference in the cv angles.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
It is recommended due to the cv angle... But if you do other than mall crawling, you can do this CV boot mod and you will have no issues with the boot...

In my opinion, don't waste your money on that!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Thanks for the sound advise all. Got a pretty good idea what direction to go.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #13

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Don't raise the shit out of the truck and your cv's will be fine......I've had my coilovers as high as 3.5" and cv's were still good.....no more than 3" for 4x4 is safe!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
I agree Sublime. Im keeping it to a 2.5 in the front to keep it classy. Just got new tires last winter and dont really want to have to go spending more to make everything look normal (Hate that small tire/huge wheel well look)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
327 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
327's Tacoma Gallery
Just piling on questions to this thread. So an '06 4x4 access cab with 5100's set at 2.5 with skyjacker add a leaf (2.5" or so) in the rear should need nothing else? What about a carrier drop an inch or so? I don't really offroad at all, and there aren't really any rocks here anyway.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327 View Post
Just piling on questions to this thread. So an '06 4x4 access cab with 5100's set at 2.5 with skyjacker add a leaf (2.5" or so) in the rear should need nothing else? What about a carrier drop an inch or so? I don't really offroad at all, and there aren't really any rocks here anyway.
If you experience any vibrations in the rear after the add a leaf, then you can try a carrier bearing drop. Or axle shims.