Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment numbers

Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Name: Clay
claymore's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment numbers

Ok, I have searched and I am tired. I am getting an alignment after a 3 inch lift. Do I need to ask the shop for camber, caster and toe different then factory? What are the numbers? I have LR UCAs. Also, what needs to be done with the settings to get more room for 285s? Help please. I know I have seen this, but only have my phone, and searching is hard.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
0* toe
0* camber
2.5-3.0* caster
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the caster is. That is what the LR UCA's do, provide more caster. Just tell the tech what numbers you want. It will come up out of range on their machine but that's ok.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdNick View Post
Yes, the caster is. That is what the LR UCA's do, provide more caster. Just tell the tech what numbers you want. It will come up out of range on their machine but that's ok.
Thanks. What do I need to do to get more space for the 285s. Is it something I do or is the caster what does it?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Caster should help somewhat but every truck is different. It could range from just minor plastic trimming to a cab mount chop, or combined. You will just have to see where you are rubbing at full steering lock and flexed.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Setting your LR UCAs to the +1 degree setting and adjusting more caster in your LCAs will move the wheel forward and should alleviate rubbing on the frame mount, but could require more trimming up front. What are your wheel and tire specs? "285s" doesn't give us much to go on.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
Setting your LR UCAs to the +1 degree setting and adjusting more caster in your LCAs will move the wheel forward and should alleviate rubbing on the frame mount, but could require more trimming up front. What are your wheel and tire specs? "285s" doesn't give us much to go on.
The tires I want to run are 285 75 16 on my TRD beadlock rims that have 4.5 bs. That is the info I was looking for, but now I wonder if it is worth it. Where is the trimming easier, front or back?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
yep, I'd set your UCAs to the +1 degree setting and have the tech play with the lowers to get as close to 3 degrees of caster as possible. As stated above anything above 2.5 degrees should be suitable. Have him turn the wheels full lock in both directions and check for contact before taking it off the rack. You may have to sacrifice some caster for clearance. Trimming up front is way easier then a cab mount chop.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
yep, I'd set your UCAs to the +1 degree setting and have the tech play with the lowers to get as close to 3 degrees of caster as possible. As stated about anything above 2.5 degrees should be suitable. Have him turn the wheels full lock in both directions and check for contact before taking it off the rack. You may have to sacrifice some caster for clearance. Trimming up front is way easier then a cab mount chop.
Thanks for the help. Why is 2.5, 0, 0 the numbers? What is factory spec, and why are these numbers best for our trucks? I am just wanting to learn.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Ragin Cajun

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
zero toe and zero camber is optimal for tire wear.. Positive caster helps firm up steering, making the truck feel more stable at highway speeds.. check out these threads for more detail

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...alignment.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...cing-ucas.html
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
zero toe and zero camber is optimal for tire wear.. Positive caster helps firm up steering, making the truck feel more stable at highway speeds.. check out these threads for more detail

For what it's worth....Plik and Nick speak the truth. That is how I was told to set up my truck. SPC said adding the extra caster up top and adjusting on the bottom could improve your clearance inside the fender.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks a lot! I had read the second post when a lift was still way into the future. I remembered seeing the info but couldnt find it. This is just what I was looking for.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
For what it's worth....Plik and Nick speak the truth. That is how I was told to set up my truck. SPC said adding the extra caster up top and adjusting on the bottom could improve your clearance inside the fender.
Gracias