Notices

What toytec kit should I go with?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
foolsgold09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Evan
foolsgold09's Tacoma Gallery
Smile What toytec kit should I go with?

Hello TW,

First time poster, long time lurker. Just picked up a 2009 dclb 4x4 sport. Need to pick her up off the ground a bit. I'm trying to decide between two lift kits on toytecs site. I do some light wheeling, trudging through snow, take it camping, haul around mountain bikes, and I would like to some what follow my brothers Jeep on the trails. It's not going to be a mall crawler... well I do manage a mall store so in a sense, I guess its a mall crawler too. :-P

Any who, I'm looking to purchase a 3in lift

Im trying to decide between the ultimate lift with Billie coilovers or OME lift kit? And are the dakars really worth the dough?

I'd like to keep the old lady happy on long trips so id like to avoid a stiff ride. I'm afraid the Billies will be stiff set at 3 inches/although I have read good and bad things about both. Anyone have insight on what will be a better fit for my needs? People that have my rig or similar that have real life experience would be great.

Also if you have any suggestions on wheel tire combos that work well with these lifts with minimal rubbing would be great.

Mainly I need help choosing between the 2 lift kits.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I like my OME but is stiffer than stock. Dakars also ride pretty rough. If you want a nice cushy ride maybe there is a high end coilover that would ride soft but i wouldnt know. I prefer the stiffer ride of my OME setup over stock.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885s & Dakars! 885s will give you 2.5" without a spacer (+ a .25" spacer if you want the full 3"). Ride great on & off road (even better without a sway bar). The Dakars can handle a lot of extra weight without losing much lift.
255/85/16s (or 255/80/17) are a great size tire (33.3") and require no trimming. I put mine on 1st Gen TRDs (4.5" BS). they work best on a 7" wheel but can be put on an 8" wheel.
My '11 4Banger AC with 885s & Dakars.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Scroll down:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...lover-kit.html
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
OME is the way to go! the Toytec coilovers set to 3" lift are stiffer than the OME 3" lift..

Ive heard nothing but great things about the Dakars.. I went with a progressive 3 leaf AAL from wheelers, and love the ride.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
PINS Runner is on a distinguished road

Name: Larry
PINS Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I went with OME 885, nitro 9000 on front. Since I already had airbags on the back for heavy loads (actually any load with the stock Taco springs) and the TSB, I went with a Toytec AAL and OME N182 on the back. Still debating Dakars myself. Love the ride with this set up though.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Both set ups will be stiffer than stock

If you don't haul or tow , skip the Dakars and get a 3 leaf AAL
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #8

Man, all of your rides are beast! Sounds like it will definitely be a OME lift. I will probably go with the 3leaf pack as well. I will save some bread and I could always sell it if I feel the need for dakars. Unfortunately this will have to wait for my refund check since I blew my whole load on a hefty down payment.

Thanks brethren.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #9

Hmmm... 2.5 in OME lift + .25 spacer? = 3 in total lift? My math comes out as 2.75 in total lift... I'm probably missing some basic knowledge of how lifts work on these trucks.

And does the spacer add noticeable lift? Is your truck running the spacer? Sweet rig by the way.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
OME 885s & Dakars! 885s will give you 2.5" without a spacer (+ a .25" spacer if you want the full 3"). Ride great on & off road (even better without a sway bar). The Dakars can handle a lot of extra weight without losing much lift.
255/85/16s (or 255/80/17) are a great size tire (33.3") and require no trimming. I put mine on 1st Gen TRDs (4.5" BS). they work best on a 7" wheel but can be put on an 8" wheel.
My '11 4Banger AC with 885s & Dakars.
^ I meant to quote you with my last post btw. Using this tapatalk app from my phone and just figuring out how to use it.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The .25 spacer is supposed to add a half inch. I just uploaded a picture of my truck with 885s, no top plate spacer, dakars with a leaf removed. Check out my gallery
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsgold09 View Post
^ I meant to quote you with my last post btw. Using this tapatalk app from my phone and just figuring out how to use it.
If i remember correcty, he has no top plate spacer. But he got 3" of lift with just 885s because he has a 4cyl and his front end is lighter
Old 12-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsgold09 View Post
Hmmm... 2.5 in OME lift + .25 spacer? = 3 in total lift? My math comes out as 2.75 in total lift... I'm probably missing some basic knowledge of how lifts work on these trucks.

And does the spacer add noticeable lift? Is your truck running the spacer? Sweet rig by the way.
Thanks.
No spacers.
Spacers add twice the thickness in lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
The .25 spacer is supposed to add a half inch. I just uploaded a picture of my truck with 885s, no top plate spacer, dakars with a leaf removed. Check out my gallery
Looks good Evan

Quote:
If i remember correcty, he has no top plate spacer. But he got 3" of lift with just 885s because he has a 4cyl and his front end is lighter
Yes
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Thanks.
No spacers.
Spacers add twice the thickness in lift.

Looks good Evan

Yes
It is all beginning to make sense now! Thank you. And shes a beut! Can't wait for my tax return! My name is Evan too. Don't meet to many other Evan's. Nice to meet you sir.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #15

Lol nice to meet you also. Its a good thing you are waiting until tax returns come around. Gives you plenty of time to decide exactly what you want and some time to save up money. It seems like there is alot of you norcal guys on here, try to meet up with some local TW members and check out their trucks, it will help you figure out what you want to be able to see a lifted tacoma in person. Pictures just dont do then justice.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Dakars if you haul or tow anything! I went with the Eibach/Billy combo that gave me some adjustment when I added the bumper/winch combo. I'm very happy with the ride and handling!

Good luck with your choice...

and ... Merry Christmas!