Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rookie lift and tire size/performance question.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
Rookie lift and tire size/performance question.

Recently I was talking to my fathers friend, who works at a local tire shop, about lifting my truck. He told me if I get a 6" lift it will ruin my suspension and it will be a money pit with me constantly fixing the suspension. He also told me if I put 35's or 33's on my truck it will accelerate slow or "dog down," because its a 6 cylinder.

I bought my Tacoma almost a year ago, and have been saving like crazy to lift it, put a custom bumper on it equipped with a light bar.

So my questions are: How bad would a 6" lift mess up the suspension (I plan on keeping the truck for a minimum of 5 years), or is a smaller lift size recommended?
Will bigger tires make acceleration that much slower that it won’t be fun to drive anymore?

I have a 2006 Doublecab.

PS: I'm on this forum all day, but rarely ever post things. I just read and admire pictures haha.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
6" lifts are drop bracket style lifts, which do not change any of the suspension geometry from stock. They basically just move the crossmember down, is one way to think of it. They gain no ground clearance from stock and are typically regarded on here as being mostly for looks.

Check out this current thread on regearing with 33s or 35's.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-question.html
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
A 3 inch suspension lift is more highly recommended around here, because it gives you some more ground clearance and the ability to fit some bigger tires. With 33s you shouldn't really have to regear but it depends on the tire as well. I'm pretty sure with 35s regearing is recommended.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
MarkM is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
6" looks like shit get a 3" lift kit from ToyTeclifts.com plenty different price ranges to choose from. Comes with directions to install. And I have 33s and my truck is still quick might use a little more gas but it looks like a truck now and has off road capabilities.