1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's Installed on 2005 4x4 0.85 Setting w/ Vibration

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by geogecko, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Mar 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    geogecko

geogecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
  2. Mar 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Hot2na

Hot2na Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dont get it -I see so many people on here that install 5100's @.85 with no vibration issues...not even at 1.75...
    and then there's THIS post...makes me worry about doing mine ???

3. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Yeah, I don't know. I triple checked all my work, got an alignment, and still had the vibration. Granted, it wasn't a really bad one, and I thought about just leaving it alone, but it eventually bothered me enough to finally break down and do it.

Once I found out about this, I got under the truck, and pushed up on the axle right where it goes into the diff, and couldn't believe how much play was in it. Did the same to the passenger side, and it was at least half the play on the driver's side.

I don't know, maybe perhaps it depends on how far they drove the bearing into the clamshell. If it was further in than on other trucks, then I would think the vibrations would be worse, than if it was flush, or maybe more towards the wheel. That might explain why the tool took some convincing to get past the bearing...

4. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    To be honest, I'd almost recommend doing the bushing job at the same time you change out the struts. I know it adds another $60-75 to the job, but you have at least one third of the work done that you will have to redo, if you do them independently, like I did.

I'm hoping to sell the tool, that way the job cost me less. Figure people will continue to buy/sell the tool so they don't have to take the hit. Almost like a tool rental.

5. Mar 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    DirtEater

DirtEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    Sad that all this work is required just for a tiny bit of lift. I was leaning towards the 5100's at 1.75 to clear 265/70R17's, but now I'm second guessing even that. I hate dealing with suspension related problems and driveline vibes.

Glad you were able to make yours right.

Solid axles rule!

6. Mar 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    It seems a little like rolling the dice. Don't know what you're going to get. Some people don't have any problems going 2.5" in the front...

265/70R17's will fit stock. That is what I had on mine before I even touched the suspension. I believe the stock tires were 265/65R17's. I love the way it looks with the truck leveled out. Didn't think it was that noticeable, but seems more noticeable on the newer trucks that have the TSB rears. Those leafs really seem to pry the back end up.

I agree, solid axles would be nice, except they probably don't handle on the road quite as nice as independent suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top