Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Not lifting, but beefing it for towing?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Not lifting, but beefing it for towing?

I want to know if I'm on the right track, here. I've got a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags ordered, and I'm thinking about Bilstein 5100's for the front. Not looking to lift, just want to beef things up a bit to make this a better tow vehicle. Any opinions? Do I even "need" to upgrade the front struts?

2012 DCSB O/R with tow pkg, and 3 weak-ass leaf springs.

Thanks

--also, is $180 shipped a good price for 2 Billies? Thanks again--
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
i see no need to change the front struts when you are not looking to lift and if they are in good condition. i do suggest that you load up the bed of your truck with some weight and use the proper wording which i think is 'harsh ride' or something like that and have the dealer to the leaf spring tsb to get yourself a 4 leaf pack. basically show them it bottoms out with very little weight, or does this not occur at all now due to your airbags? you will end up with a bit of rake, but also springs that work better for you. if you don't like the rake then pick up the billies and set them to .85 and call it good. ppl seem to like the way the billies ride, i've got OME so no personal experience. that's my 2 cents.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
I've been considering the ride-rites as an addition to my rear suspension setup. I do routinely carry 2-3 guys with gear tools etc with a dirt bike in the bed and a 6'x10' trailer with two bikes on it. I think the airbags would be a pretty good setup. Also run 5100's and love them. A little firmer than stock, and to me a better feel in general. It seems like you are on the right track, and $180 seems like a pretty good deal. I say go for it.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
i see no need to change the front struts when you are not looking to lift and if they are in good condition. i do suggest that you load up the bed of your truck with some weight and use the proper wording which i think is 'harsh ride' or something like that and have the dealer to the leaf spring tsb to get yourself a 4 leaf pack. basically show them it bottoms out with very little weight, or does this not occur at all now due to your airbags? you will end up with a bit of rake, but also springs that work better for you. if you don't like the rake then pick up the billies and set them to .85 and call it good. ppl seem to like the way the billies ride, i've got OME so no personal experience. that's my 2 cents.
My Canadian Tacoma came with a 4 leaf leaf pack and still bottomed out really easy when I was light-moderately loaded. Tacoma leaf springs really do blow.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
My Canadian Tacoma came with a 4 leaf leaf pack and still bottomed out really easy when I was light-moderately loaded. Tacoma leaf springs really do blow.
x2

Although if OP can get it done for free from the dealer, it is a start. Especially if this is on a budget. It still must be better than 3-leaf, no?

Wheeler's HD pack seems like the best solution, but not cheap.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys.

I wish it were as simple as going to the dealer and getting the TSB done, but there is no TSB for the 2012's as far as I know.

I think I will go ahead and get the Bilsteins; seems pretty cheap and they'll be better than factory- plus no rake. Man, these trucks are great but the factory specs seem a little ...optimistic, I guess.