Notices

What set up is best for me?...need advice please

Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Taco Shot
StreetTaco4Me is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
StreetTaco4Me's Tacoma Gallery
What set up is best for me?...need advice please

Hey everyone...new member, my goodness there is a lot of info out there.

Try not to be too harsh, and I did use the search function and have been reading for about a week now all of the different set ups, there is so much info out there but I was hoping to get help on my particular driving needs...thanks in advance for your help.

2013 Dbl cab TRD Sport 5.0ft bed 4x2

I doubt I will ever take it off road, I dont tow anything, live in southern california snow will not be an issue and rain will only occur 15 days out of the year, but I really want the look of the trucks I see that can go off road, but do not really want to sacrifice ride quality as it will be my daily driver

1. plan to go with 265/70 or 75/17 Bfg AT/KO or Rugged Terrains (want to avoid any rub issue at all)

2. a mufler swap

3. but most importantly a lift

from what I am gathering,

spacers are bad news...a 3'' lift will require new upper control arms

The new upper control arms are necessary right, even without going off road?

I have a buddy who is mechanical and has replaced other suspension systems in cars before and is willing to help me put a lift kit on...my thinking right now was to get the toytec ulitmate lift kit adjustable coilovers in fron and 2" add a leaf in the back ($1150) and add the Light Racing Upper Control Arms ($400)

also considering the ome kit ($700), then needing to add the UCA ($400) but not sure as toytec seems easy to install out of the box

also have heard some members mention spindles but not with a lot of explaination as to exactly what a spindle would do or give, so more insight on spindles would be awesome.

Main concern is I want the 3'' lift for the height, the ride to be nice still and have good handling and not bounce all over the place, I would like to keep cost down but not at the expense of the ride or safety, and do not want anything that is more than I need since I will be very surprised if I ever took the truck off a paved surface.

seems to me I am looking at these:

best seller kit using all my equipment but adding 885coilovers and leaf springs...cheapest option at $350 but how bad will the ride suffer? do I still need UCA, there is no mention on toytec

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

OME
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58849&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

or

Toytec ULK
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58835&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

and what do you know about spindles? good or bad?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=59028&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to tw man! Ur well on ur way to one hell of a truck. I'll let the 4wd guys help u out on this one. Cheers!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Taco Shot
I have a 4X2 i editted it late sorry...thanks for the welcome...awesome place!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Taco Shot
Using the search I am learning a bunch...

Main concern is I want the lift for the height, the ride to be nice still and have good handling and not bounce all over the place, I would like to keep cost down but not at the expense of the ride or safety, and do not want anything that is more than I need since I will be very surprised if I ever took the truck off a paved surface.

seems to me I am looking at these:

best seller kit using all my equipment but adding 885coilovers and leaf springs...cheapest option at $350 but how bad will the ride suffer? do I still need UCA, there is no mention on toytec

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

or spindles? good or bad? seems from what I have read this works best for me...

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=59028&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

Would prefer a level or slightly nose down stance, besides this kit what do I need to purchase to get that?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Spindles are a min lift of 4". That is the part where the wheel assembly goes onto. You don't need 885 coils if you don't have a plate bumper or winch. 884's with the OME nitrochargers are nice. You can get matching rear shocks then just run an AAL. Any lift is going to stiffen the truck up a little bit. As for tires def go with AT's. They are still quiet on the road. The toytec kit is nice also. Those are adj coilovers. Think of a less expensive king or icon design is what they are.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Taco Shot
OK after doing some more reading the spindle seems beste for my needs...keep in mind I would like to keep cost down as much as I can without giving up too much in ride comfort...also want to ensure nothing will damage the truck long term.

is the kit decent?
will the block in the back significantly affect my ride vs. AAL?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72

or should I piece stuff together on my own?

camburgs and 3'' allpro leaf pack in back?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I would start running a 33" tire if you lift it 4"/3". The smaller 265's will look silly I think. AAL will ride much better than a block. If you get a complete leaf pack that is the best bet. Understand that anything you do you are not going to have a stock feeling ride.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
SNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSNJTacoma11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
SNJTacoma11's Tacoma Gallery
ntilehman.....question for you....sorry to jump in here. If i can....I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 with just about everything the toytec lift has but the spacers which im about to get as my truck still sits alittle front low....will i now be required to get UCA's? If so if there a good yet cheap option? Also i think im running to large of a tire right now on 18" rim.....What would u suggest? Thanks Chris
Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJTacoma11 View Post
ntilehman.....question for you....sorry to jump in here. If i can....I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 with just about everything the toytec lift has but the spacers which im about to get as my truck still sits alittle front low....will i now be required to get UCA's? If so if there a good yet cheap option? Also i think im running to large of a tire right now on 18" rim.....What would u suggest? Thanks Chris

Sent PM to stay out of this thread.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetTaco4Me View Post
OK after doing some more reading the spindle seems beste for my needs...keep in mind I would like to keep cost down as much as I can without giving up too much in ride comfort...also want to ensure nothing will damage the truck long term.

is the kit decent?
will the block in the back significantly affect my ride vs. AAL?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=72

or should I piece stuff together on my own?

camburgs and 3'' allpro leaf pack in back?
Spindles are where its at for us 2wd trucks
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Spindles are a min lift of 4". That is the part where the wheel assembly goes onto. You don't need 885 coils if you don't have a plate bumper or winch. 884's with the OME nitrochargers are nice. You can get matching rear shocks then just run an AAL. Any lift is going to stiffen the truck up a little bit. As for tires def go with AT's. They are still quiet on the road. The toytec kit is nice also. Those are adj coilovers. Think of a less expensive king or icon design is what they are.
Well OP is set on spindles which is a good choice for PreRunners.
And for others reading this the OME 886s are for plate bumpers or a lot of extra weight up front.
The 884s &885s have the same spring rate with the 885s being a little longer.
884s around 2" lift on a V6 & 885s around 2 1/2" lift on a V6
I have 885s & Dakars on my 4Banger AC and originaly got 3"front & rear. Then I added sliders & a full set of skids. Lost 3/4" up front & 1/4" in rear.
Added 1/4" top plate spacers to regain 1/2" of what I lost & I'm now at 2 3/4" front & rear.
Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures
Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Well OP is set on spindles which is a good choice for PreRunners.
And for others reading this the OME 886s are for plate bumpers or a lot of extra weight up front.
The 884s &885s have the same spring rate with the 885s being a little longer.
884s around 2" lift on a V6 & 885s around 2 1/2" lift on a V6
I have 885s & Dakars on my 4Banger AC and originaly got 3"front & rear. Then I added sliders & a full set of skids. Lost 3/4" up front & 1/4" in rear.
Added 1/4" top plate spacers to regain 1/2" of what I lost & I'm now at 2 3/4" front & rear.
Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Thanks for the correction. I still thought the 885's were a little stiffer.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Thanks for the correction. I still thought the 885's were a little stiffer.
Not according to the Emu
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Longtime Toyman

Bryan look what I just saw for you.
Maxtrac Spindles GB, HeadStrong Off-Road
$475.22 with FREE shipping